MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Brothers Big [email protected] looking for a new Exec team bbbsatmac MacInsiders Announcements 6 07-15-2013 08:15 AM
Big Brothers Big Sister @ Mac Info Session TOMORROW sarahsullz Clubs & Groups 2 10-15-2012 07:46 PM
VP POSITIONS OPEN! Big Brothers Big Sisters @ Mac peterpan Clubs & Groups 3 07-19-2011 05:10 PM
Was the H1N1 virus as big of a deal as people made it? Kathy2 General Discussion 9 03-04-2010 05:59 PM

Anyone know students that have made it into the Big 4?

Old 05-03-2017 at 03:32 PM   #1
moonre

Liked: 0 Times

Anyone know students that have made it into the Big 4?
Aimed mostly at software/cs students or friends of those students. From what I've seen many of my classmates are going to work in IT or something.
Old 05-04-2017 at 01:15 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Yes.

Like 1 guy.

Have fun.
Old 05-04-2017 at 11:59 AM   #3
moonre

Hah, thanks man.
Old 05-04-2017 at 06:26 PM   #4
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

School, unless maybe uoft or waterloo, isn't going to get you into big 4 or any other place. Only you can, through personal/course/outside-of-class-group projects and study bloody algorithms/brain teasing programming problems until your brain is numb (reading good books/online/being interested in CS/SE (not necessarily the academic stuff they teach in university) in articles would go a lot further than algorithms to be honest).

Yeah, I've heard of/talked to/seen people who've worked for major players in the field. I don't know who the big 4 are and franky it couldn't matter less who the big 4 or big 50 are, because it only matters you find the right fit and that may not be at any of those companies. If you're in it for the money, then go nuts. Otherwise understand who you want to work for and who you you're considering working for.

Some big players to leave you at least a little satisfied,
Google (know guy who interviewed, also know waterloo guy who got a job with < 70 avg)
IBM (lots of people at mac)
AMD (idk if you'd consider them big)
Intel (heard of a couple people working there, in cali and toronto (Altera))
Microsoft (they even came on campus for info session, know a guy who was selected for an interview)
Facebook (heard of a guy who worked there, same guy also worked at other big companies in US)
Former mac grad also runs a company that has a product with a million users out of Kitchener

Also, just so you know, there is no real relation between good grades and good job in this field (ex, <70 guy I talked to got an elite ibm internship and following that got offered 200k jobs in silicon valley... before finishing his degree)

moonre says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 05-07-2017 at 12:31 PM   #5
pervey101

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonre View Post
Aimed mostly at software/cs students or friends of those students. From what I've seen many of my classmates are going to work in IT or something.
Don't listen to that GeorgeLucas fellow, he is extremely territorial/jealous when it comes to his field. Someone was asking for advice on his program, and he told them to go to Mohawk College.
Old 05-07-2017 at 03:22 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervey101 View Post
Don't listen to that GeorgeLucas fellow, he is extremely territorial/jealous when it comes to his field. Someone was asking for advice on his program, and he told them to go to Mohawk College.
Yeah, and I stand by what I said. Software Engineering at Mac sucks. Software Engineering in universities in general is bad, due to the fact that companies want to hire code monkeys, with a lot of hands on work and projects behind their back. Universities in general don't provide that, while colleges do.

Of course, you can say something like the guy above did, "you can do projects on your own time". But you aren't paying almost 12 grand a year to work/study on your own, do you? Then why not go to college to learn software? It's cheaper, quicker, and you do actually relevant work.

In fact they are shutting down the Game Design and Embedded programs next year, because even Mac knows they suck.

University education is usually more academic than hands on. While that works well for mechanical, physics, electrical kind of education, where most of the work is basically math. Software today is mostly hands on education.

Quote:
Don't listen to that GeorgeLucas fellow, he is extremely territorial/jealous when it comes to his field.
I don't really care what anyone takes, because I'm not the one paying for that. I'm not even from Software Engineering. I did do Tron tho, and had to go through those bullcrap Software courses. In fact, all the Sofware Courses that were worth my time and money, had nothing to do with Software (like Control Systems).

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 05-07-2017 at 03:27 PM.

pervey101 says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 05-27-2017 at 06:16 AM   #7
student2299

Liked: 1 Time

Why is suggesting going to Mohawk College considered a bad thing? University-priviledge-snobbery-entitlement aside...while I've been interested in computer science and deciding which pathway is best I find many job posting saying a preference for "post secondary degree". Does a university degree really stand out more and preferred more by employers still? Are employers and job site recruiters lacking knowledge in what college courses offer in training? Furthermore, Mohawk's Computer Systems Technology - Software Development is a three year diploma course-might as well go for a four degree then? There are opportunities to earn a degree with transferable credits according to the Mohawk Transfer Database (http://webapps.mohawkcollege .ca/we...reements.aspx). Hopefully conditions and this pathway doesn't change or disappear if I decide to take the Mohawk Computer Systems Technology-Software Development program because unless I'm hallucinating it says you can earn a McMaster-Mohawk B.A. in 1-2 years as you will be promoted to level 3 of a year program according to this:http://www.mybtechdegree.ca/prospective.html.
And being a coding monkey actually does appeal to me. I've already being designing trainers to cheat on games and I love it!

Last edited by student2299 : 05-27-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2017 at 11:56 AM   #8
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

As student2299 says, going to college for tech is perfectly okay. I knew someone who's apparently now a big boss at VMWare, and he didn't have a university education in computers, just some MS certs and some experience. My sister was a 6-figure IT manager for big corporations and never even did university. Mohawk tech programs often have a co-op component as well, and they make you actually learn things in those.
Old 05-28-2017 at 12:06 AM   #9
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

If you are weirded out by going to college, you can get B.Tech degree at Mac. It's basically University and College combined, except you can continue to University Graduate school if you wish since the B.Tech degree is equivalent to a B.Eng.

In fact, if I could go back in time, I'd probably get that degree.
Old 05-28-2017 at 09:37 AM   #10
UnicornRainbo

Folks, if you are born coder you will reach your destination sooner or later. I know a guy works in Cupertino CA. He won masters in mathematics, studied comp science, made six figures in ten years.....

That is no exceptions.
Creativity and sound grasp of fundamentals coupled with a congenial work environment, blossom the career.

No worries, I went to Mohawk, the projects suck. Not worth showing to prospective employer.

Look in the mirror. No easy way to success in developing a killer app.
Are you in the same caliber as Jobs Gates, Sunder Pichay, Satya Nadella...you fill..
Old 05-28-2017 at 12:40 PM   #11
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornRainbo View Post
Folks, if you are born coder you will reach your destination sooner or later. I know a guy works in Cupertino CA. He won masters in mathematics, studied comp science, made six figures in ten years.....

That is no exceptions.
Creativity and sound grasp of fundamentals coupled with a congenial work environment, blossom the career.

No worries, I went to Mohawk, the projects suck. Not worth showing to prospective employer.

Look in the mirror. No easy way to success in developing a killer app.
Are you in the same caliber as Jobs Gates, Sunder Pichay, Satya Nadella...you fill..
At least there are projects in Mohawk, in Software in McMaster only offers the Capstone project and not much else.

Can you comment on what kind of projects you did in Mohawk?

Any opinion on the B.Tech program?