MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is "opening balance" and "student account balance" fatimaa Financial Aid 2 01-08-2014 10:45 AM
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM

Applying to Engineering as a "Mature Student"

Old 09-26-2018 at 03:47 PM   #1
Althena

Liked: 0 Times

Applying to Engineering as a "Mature Student"
Hello all,

I want to open by saying that I understand that you can't apply to engineering as a "mature student", per se, with all of the academic allowances that implies. However, suddenly my guidance councilor is raising a red flag about me applying to Mac Engineering AT ALL. I think she's incorrect, but I wanted an opinion, and I'm not too sure who to discuss it with. So here's my situation...

I'm hoping to apply to the McMaster Engineering Program for the fall of 2019. I'm a mature student, in that I am 30-something years old. I already work as an applications engineer for a large hydraulics OEM. I did the hydraulics program at Mohawk College.I understand that the engineering program won't take that into account as the program does not accept applicants who are applying as mature students, and that I will have to apply based on academic merit - my marks in the prerequisite courses for the program I'm applying to. I am currently getting any missing credits through night school. I understand that I need a minimum average of 87% in order to apply for the program.

So my question is, am I eligible to be considered for the program based on the above information? The guidance councilor at the DSBN is concerned about the reengineering program not accepting mature students, but I don't think I fall into that category if I'm meeting all of the academic requirements, do I?

I tried looking at the website page pertaining to mature students, but it seems like there may be something wrong with it.

Thanks!

Alexandra
Old 09-28-2018 at 02:18 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thanks for posting your question here Alexandra!

When say guidance councilor at the DSBN, who is that? I am not familiar with the DSBN, does that person actually work for McMaster?.

I would recommend that you call up the McMaster Faculty of Engineering directly. Ask to speak with an Academic Advisor or someone in Admissions to ask your questions and explain your situation. You can also try calling the Registrar.

Personally, I don't see why age should play a factor in any of this of you have the academic requirements. When I was at mac we had older mature adults in my classes who were undergrads. All that should matter is the academic requirements and taking the proper requisite courses like you are doing through night school in order to qualify for the program.

Its true, mature students have restrictions on faculties and programs they can enter, but its mainly because you need certain courses to get in. McMaster defines 'mature student' as someone out of highschool/college for over 2 years. And it sounds like you were recently at mohawk and/or taking night school somewhere... so that definition doesnt appear to apply to you if you are recently in school.

Unless the website states specifically in the program requirements that there is an age cap on the program, which I doubt, then age shouldn't matter.

Here is some info that might help, from the mac website about mature student admissions:

------

What is a mature student?

If you do not qualify for admission consideration under the high school or college categories, McMaster will assess your eligibility as a mature student. You may be considered for limited admission, provided both of the following conditions are satisfied:

You have not attended secondary school or college on a full-time basis for at least two years.
You have never attended university.
Applicants admitted as mature students will not be granted transfer credit.

Which programs admit mature students, and what are the requirements?

Programs in the Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences have no specific course requirements for Mature Student admission.

Environmental & Earth Sciences: requires satisfactory standing in three Ontario Grade 12 U (or equivalent) Mathematics and Science requirements.

Life Sciences: requires satisfactory standing in three Ontario Grade 12 U (or equivalent) Mathematics and Science requirements.

Business:requires satisfactory completion of a Grade 12 U Mathematics course (or equivalent).

Mathematics & Statistics:requires satisfactory standing in Grade 12 U Advanced Functions, and Calculus & Vectors (or equivalent).

Physical Sciences: requires satisfactory standing in four Ontario Grade 12 U (or equivalent) Mathematics and Science requirements, as described in the Subject Requirements for Specific Level I Programs in the Admission Requirements section of the current Undergraduate Calendar.

Which programs do not admit mature students?

The Faculty of Engineering (including Engineering, Computer Science, and Bachelor of Technology programs), the Arts & Science Program, the Bachelor of Health Sciences I Program, the Medical Radiation Sciences I Program, the Kinesiology I Program, the Midwifery Program, the Integrated Sciences I Program, Integrated Biomedical Engineering and Health Sciences Program and Integrated Business and Humanities Program do not admit mature students.

The Nursing program does not offer mature admission directly to the program. However, students interested in Nursing may be admitted as mature students to another program in order to complete university prerequisite courses for later consideration for admission to Nursing I. Enrolment in this program is limited. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission. In order to be reviewed for internal transfer to Nursing, students must complete the following processes:

complete a minimum of 12 units of university level course work with a minimum cumulative average of B- or 70.00%
All applicants must complete the CASPer online assessment. Details are listed on the Nursing BScN website.
Students must complete the CASPer online assessment (testing dates TBA shortly). Details are listed on the Nursing BScN website.
If admitted to a program as a mature student, you may register to take up to 18 units of coursework (normally Level I courses) during the Fall/Winter session with no more than nine units in each term (three courses). Within the first 18 units, mature students will be limited to taking three units in each term of the Spring/Summer session. Upon completion of 18 units, your performance will be reviewed according to the general academic regulations of the university
Old 10-01-2018 at 08:13 AM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

As above, go chat with an academic advisor in Engineering. You've worked in the real world as a hydraulic technologist, so they will know you're way ahead of a highschool student. Adult students always do way better at university than kids

I would advise not going to the registrar or admissions until you've gone to an academic advisor in Engineering first. Some people at Mac consider work experience and Mohawk College to be meaningless. I know the math dept. forced me to take a bunch of garbage math courses despite my Mohawk College technologist diploma and my Grade 13s.

I've found you can get special dispensation for anything at Mac, if you speak to a person in their office. Don't give up hope. Engineering should really want you.

Chad says thanks to old guy for this post.
Old 10-30-2018 at 07:19 AM   #4
maryphilips

Does education has age limit? As far as I'm concerned, education has no age limit.
Old 11-06-2018 at 10:27 AM   #5
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryphilips View Post
Does education has age limit? As far as I'm concerned, education has no age limit.
It has an expiry date for sure.

Back in the day, I did Grade 13 maths.

The Mac math department thought that none of them mattered for anything and tried to force me to take MATH 1F03.

Turns out that my grade 13 math was equivalent to all of first year university math.
Old 02-28-2019 at 03:16 AM   #6
AnfisaKater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althena View Post
Hello all,

I want to open by saying that I understand that you can't apply to engineering as a "mature student", per se, with all of the academic allowances that implies. However, suddenly my guidance councilor is raising a red flag about me applying to Mac Engineering AT ALL. I think she's incorrect, but I wanted an opinion, and I'm not too sure who to discuss it with. So here's my situation...

I'm hoping to apply to the McMaster Engineering Program for the fall of 2019. I'm a mature student, in that I am 30-something years old. I already work as an applications engineer for a large hydraulics OEM. I did the hydraulics program at Mohawk College.I understand that the engineering program won't take that into account as the program does not accept applicants who are applying as mature students, and that I will have to apply based on academic merit - my marks in the prerequisite courses for the program I'm applying to. I am currently getting any missing credits through night school. I understand that I need a minimum average of 87% in order to apply for the program.

So my question is, am I eligible to be considered for the program based on the above information? The guidance councilor at the DSBN is concerned about the reengineering program not accepting mature students, but I don't think I fall into that category if I'm meeting all of the academic requirements, do I?

I tried looking at the website page pertaining to mature students, but it seems like there may be something wrong with it.

Thanks!

Alexandra
The desire to study at an educational institute when you are a mature student is not only a commendable act but also a risky act. All about which you think is whether you can enroll in a program at that age with the grades and knowledge you have, but you did not think that you would study with people who are 10 years younger than you. All who will study together with you will be younger than you by 10 years. You may experience discomfort if you are in a team in which there are only people who are younger than you. The test of discomfort is not the worst thing with which you will have to cope. You will have to mix with the fact that young students will laugh with you because you are older. Problems with the team are important issues that may prevent you from studying on the program. Are you sure that you are ready for this? And also I want to say that I heard a little about this program. And I have a piece of information that cheating is unacceptable and punishable. Students who buy their homework on sites like Paperial.com (that have written my research paper early, but I was a student, who was studying for a program, in which cheating was acceptable)may be expelled from the program. Are you ready to teach yourself? Are you ready to go not only through the torment of communicating with young and inexperienced students who do not know much that you know but nevertheless will mock you? Are you ready for the fact that there will be a need to do the task for a long time because cheating is unacceptable and punishable? Think about these points! it is important!