MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1D04 Course Equivalency - Athabasca Comp 268 ritsma Academics 4 06-02-2011 09:53 AM
Athabasca Transfer Credit missmatch Academics 4 04-14-2009 11:34 PM

Athabasca ?

Old 04-24-2011 at 05:35 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Athabasca ?
I only have one course left to finish my degree (any third year geography course), but nothing is offered this summer, so I will have to come back for 4 months in September for one class. Someone on this forum suggested I take an online course at Athabasca, and I was wondering if anyone has any information.

Was it expensive? Was it difficult? What are the requirements for McMaster allowing you to include an Athabasca course in your degree? How are the courses set up (in terms of assignments, lectures, etc.)?
Old 04-24-2011 at 05:38 PM   #2
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

i too was wondering about it
Old 04-24-2011 at 05:57 PM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I knew someone who did this and said it was great. As for how it matches up with mcmaster I don't know. That is best left for an email to an academic adviser.
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:31 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I took an Athabasca online course (Philosophy) 2 years ago, and used it as one of my electives. You will first need to speak to an academic advisor to approve the course as a substitute.

I don't remember it being more expensive. Maybe slightly more, since we're out-of-province students. I think the fees can be found on the Athabasca website. The course was fairly easy, and you can phone/email the TA if you need help. There weren't any lectures for this particular course, everything was self-reading.

The scheduling is quite flexible too, as I had 6 months to complete the course, but you can finish it earlier if you want. Assignments were mailed in, and the Exam is done at an approved testing center (you get to choose from various locations and times). McMaster required a minimum grade of 60%, however the grade doesn't get counted towards your McMaster Cumulative Average.

I would suggest taking it at Athabasca, if you want to finish your degree earlier. As long as it doesn't affect your requirements of applying to Masters, PhD, employment, etc.
Old 04-24-2011 at 07:33 PM   #5
kdwilliams

Liked: 1 Time

I am currently taking two courses right now through athabasca. You need to be very diligent in your work responsibilities. The set up was fairly easy, 10 minutes with my academic advisor and 5 at home, and everything was set up and in the mail the next week. Athabasca has great tutors in the business area! They have been so helpful to be thus far. As for the cost. There's the $100 admin fee at first. Then your course fees with will vary. But you will get a percentage back for not taking a full course load at mac. I hope that was helpful.

Kris

ishk33 likes this.