MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CollegePro STILL speaking at beginning of lectures Kathy2 Academics 12 10-12-2010 11:19 PM
who went to math 1za3 yesterday ? theBomb Academics 5 09-11-2010 12:59 PM
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
1st Year Law Class? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2009 02:58 PM

CollegePro in second year commerce class yesterday

Old 01-09-2010 at 09:55 AM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

CollegePro in second year commerce class yesterday
I know we already had a long discussion about this, so I'm not trying to start it up again. But my boyfriend is in a second year commerce class and he said CollegePro came yesterday at the beginning of lecture, said their speech, and passed around a sign up list.

I thought the SRA/MSU said they can't come to lectures anymore? Or are they working towards getting that done now?

Puppies45 likes this.
Old 01-09-2010 at 12:40 PM   #2
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

They came to my econ class the other day and gave a very weak presentation. They said you could make $35,000 over the summer.

Some other management group (although it could have been the same, I cant remember the other one's name) came to my econ class the first and second day and gave the same speech about summer management positions. Same 4 clip boards, so it was probably the same group, just with a much better presenter. Seems like a joke.
Old 01-09-2010 at 01:00 PM   #3
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

its such a waste of time next time that happens im keeping that clipboard
Old 01-09-2010 at 01:18 PM   #4
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

how many clipboards can we get?

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-09-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: offensive language
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:17 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I know we already had a long discussion about this, so I'm not trying to start it up again. But my boyfriend is in a second year commerce class and he said CollegePro came yesterday at the beginning of lecture, said their speech, and passed around a sign up list.

I thought the SRA/MSU said they can't come to lectures anymore? Or are they working towards getting that done now?
*sigh*

CollegePro Painters was/is my pet Peeve on campus; I don't recall any other SRA member being overtly onboard so I assume you were reffering to me?

As I reported on the previous thread I went to the MSU Exec Board Meeting and presented your concerns(Gathered from the thread and doing alot of my own research on their presence at other Universities).

I got some sort of half promise from the Board of Directors(VP Admin & VP Education) that they will atleast try and get them out of class rooms. I checked back with them a month later and the reply I got was that "The admin doesn't seem to have a policy on it" or something vague along the lines. I personally think it isn't a priority for them. I can retry talking to them but it'll be the same old me.

I would ask everyone one of you to Email the President Vishal Tiwari [email protected] ca & Vice President Education Chris Martin ([email protected] )

Please do it, I only wish I could do anything more about all of this but I don't have anymore power.

The BOD is earning a good chunk of your money every year, they should be more then accountable to your concerns.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

temara.brown likes this.
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:44 PM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I put my name down on those things once... They called me and I went to an info session thing but I never really followed through with it... =/

Side note... Not that I like them either, but is it really that much of trouble to just ignore it and pass the clipboard to the next person? =/
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:49 PM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

what are some good things to say in an email?
and do they wait at the back for the clipboard?
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:54 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
I put my name down on those things once... They called me and I went to an info session thing but I never really followed through with it... =/

Side note... Not that I like them either, but is it really that much of trouble to just ignore it and pass the clipboard to the next person? =/
Why are these obvious-scams-for-students even allowed to do presentations in classrooms? Seems ridiculous to me.
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:59 PM   #9
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

The SRA/MSU does not have the authority to ban organizations from class rooms or lecture halls.
But I know Huzaifa and Matt Wright have been working on this issue. Please contact them and I am sure they would be glad to hear from you about it.
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:00 PM   #10
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
The SRA/MSU does not have the authority to ban organizations from class rooms or lecture halls.
But I know Huzaifa and Matt Wright have been working on this issue. Please contact them and I am sure they would be glad to hear from you about it.
MSU/SRA can't stop actual scams?

yah they are ****ing useless as shit then. point proven.

great job
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:05 PM   #11
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Members can speak out against them all we want, but we cannot choose who comes into class room, thats up to the Univeristy.
I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) but Huzaifa and Matt Wright were (or at least looking into) talking to the University about removing College Pro from campus.
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:06 PM   #12
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
what are some good things to say in an email?
and do they wait at the back for the clipboard?
Well I think it should be basic, just let them know that you are uncomfortable with the presence of outside corporations in your classrooms. Such companies have a controversial history and we can't say for sure that they have the best interests of students in their mind(Since Collegepro gets their cut for sure BEFORE the Manager even starts making any money, plus there are issues about safety/training for the workers).

Second part you can mention the negative effect it has on your education(Every minute of lecture time has some monetary value). Its probably not that huge a point but I mean its not like they are a charity/student group that we should listen too! Its not like anyone benefits from it!

Plus its free advertisement, no one is benefiting from it.

andrew22 says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

finklej likes this.
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:08 PM   #13
andrew22
Account Locked

i bet vishal already knows all that though, i just asked if there was anything he could do about the scams. ill see what he says
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:13 PM   #14
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
i bet vishal already knows all that though, i just asked if there was anything he could do about the scams. ill see what he says
Yeap he does! He was there at the EB meeting

Old 01-09-2010 at 04:52 PM   #15
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I think it's really important that we not "protect" first year students by keeping organizations like CollegePro out. I know they seem shady, but everyone needs to learn sooner or later how to identify things that are too good to be true, or could otherwise be potential scams. I sat in a 4th year Business Policy class, and listened to a girl talk about how a "bank representative" called her recently and needed her credit card number for security reasons. She would have given it to them if her dad hadn't been around to hear her and tell her to shut up.

If people are brave/dumb enough to go with CollegePro, and end up getting bitten in the ass (I'm sure not everyone does), maybe it will be a wake-up call to start thinking critically about things being offered to them.

Also, I know this Crown Prince of Nigeria who's looking for help getting some money out of his country. He needs $500, and then can send you $8.4 Million. Someone should help him! I would, but I'm not a tool...