MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Full Courses Ziggi Academics 33 08-20-2010 11:34 PM
courses that are full yapyyap Academics 7 07-15-2010 11:20 AM
How come almost every courses are full? chanduru Academics 4 06-30-2010 12:15 PM
Which courses are full? julianface First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-27-2010 01:38 PM
full courses..what to do??? rits General Discussion 6 07-01-2009 09:28 PM

Courses Full... Now What?

It's pretty clear that there are many MI users getting frustrated with MUGSI/SOLAR, a common event that happens each year. With one thread cursing MUGSI hitting over 200 replies, I thought I'd post some tips that might help.

If you require a course to get your degree (meaining it isn't an elective course where you have a choice to take something else that may be open) then there is a good chance you'll be able to request a 'seat' be opened for you by your faculty/academic advisor.

Rule of thumb:
Just because a course is showing up as full does not mean it's full forever.

Keep Trying
If you can't get into a course right now because it's full it isn't the end all be all, courses that show up full right now may become available tomorrow, or even an hour from now. Keep checking SOLAR. Some courses have sections opened up to meet demand, while others get gradually opened as each year is granted access to SOLAR (3rd years, 2nd years, 1st years, etc). Look at when their registration dates are and try to get onto SOLAR to check on those days to see if more 'seats' were opened.

You have until the course add/drop date
  • The last day to add term 1 and 3 courses is September 17, 2010.
  • Last day to drop term 1 and 3 courses without financial penalty is September 17, 2010.
When you do start school, you have flexible time within the first two weeks during the 'ADD AND DROP PERIOD' to drop and add courses to your time table. That means that you can take courses you may not be 100% pleased with for now, and hope that someone drops the course that you want to get into that is showing as full right now. You never know, a student may have taken the course... shown up to the first class and really disliked the professor or the course material and dropped it. When that happens, the course opens up again and becomes 'available' until someone takes that person's spot. This happens on and off throughout the drop/add period so keep checking SOLAR for new availabilities. Click here to see drop dates. Read more on www.macinsiders.com for details and get date reminders.

Calling or meeting in person is better than e-mail
Talk to someone in the faculty and/or your academic advisor. Note: Right now is a crazy time of year and they are being bombarded with e-mails. I suggest calling them directly or going to your faculty office and setting up an appointment. You can get more help on how to contact the appropriate people via macinsiders.com forums. E-mail is very slow and/or you will most likely not get the personalized response you're looking for. Instead, try and see someone in person or on the phone.

Have your information ready
To make things a lot easier for the person you're trying to contact to get assistance, have everything neatly laid out and ready for them.. your student number, full name, even a print out of your transcript/grade report, etc. so they can understand your situation faster.

Best of luck everyone!

Cassanova, harshey13, jc24, maryam17, Sandra Shan, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Chad for this post.

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:45 PM   #2
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times
Thanks for this but honestly, how much is it really going to help?

Professors rarely listen. I begged the Kin Prof to open up more sets... got rejected. Said try again next year.

Old 06-15-2010 at 10:49 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times
I guess hes just reminding people to keep trying, spots will open up, even if it is for only a few mins until someone else takes it

Old 06-16-2010 at 01:19 AM   #4
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Thanks for this but honestly, how much is it really going to help?

Professors rarely listen. I begged the Kin Prof to open up more sets... got rejected. Said try again next year.
Happened to me twice :(. I feel you, man.

Old 06-21-2010 at 06:44 PM   #5
kanagaap

Liked: 0 Times
I enrolled into psych 1XX3 in the summer. I havnt paid for the class but I was wondering if I was still guaranteed a spot in the class. I was also wondering when the class would be posted onto ELM as well.

Old 06-21-2010 at 08:18 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanagaap View Post
I enrolled into psych 1XX3 in the summer. I havnt paid for the class but I was wondering if I was still guaranteed a spot in the class. I was also wondering when the class would be posted onto ELM as well.
If you enrolled then you have a spot in the class. You should also remember that interest gets charged at the end of each month on outstanding balances in your Student Account.

As for ELM, I'm not sure. As far as I know, no term 2 classes have been added onto ELM yet. Just go to the first class and if the professor/TA doesn't say anything then ask a question.

kanagaap says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 06-21-2010 at 08:38 PM   #7
kanagaap

thank you so much. do you know the last day to pay for a summer course .. buh thank you so much again

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:06 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
thank you so much. do you know the last day to pay for a summer course .. buh thank you so much again
There is no last day. McMaster would like to maximize the amount of interest they can squeeze out of a student. If you don't pay then you won't be able to see your Grade Report/Degree Audit. So the "deadline" would be when grades are released.

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:09 PM   #9
kanagaap

do you know what % is added to you payment at interest..im still not sure if I should take the course.

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:11 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
do you know what % is added to you payment at interest..im still not sure if I should take the course.
It was 1.2%, not sure if it changed though.

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:16 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Just pay for it. As long as you're registered, you'll still get interest, and if you drop the course after the drop/add date (when they stop giving you a full refund), I'm pretty sure that they will make you pay whatever amount you wouldn't have gotten back. So, if you pay now, you're saving yourself the interest. If you don't pay, and then drop the course in a couple of weeks, you'll still have to pay the amount they wouldn't have given back, plus interest. If you pay and decide to drop immediately, you'll get a full refund (minus any interest).

kanagaap says thanks to nerual for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search