Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 70%
CSCT 1CS3: Studying Culture: A Critical Introduction

I had this course with Dr. Susie O'Brien teaching it. It started off really boring but became really interesting near the end because we covered some better topics. She is a difficult professor to pay attention to in lecture because she tends to talk a lot before she actually gets to her point. We learned about: Industralization (Fordism, Consumption, Production etc.), Gentrification, Social Mediaetc. We had a few guest speakers (PhD students in the department) and they were hit-and-miss, depending on what they talked about. Marks were based on:

Tutorial Participation 20%
Weekly Reading Responses 10%
Critical Essay 15%
Revised Critical Essay 25% (add 100-200 words onto the first one)
Final Exam 30%

Overall, I found this course to be pretty interesting but I know many people in my class didn't like it. It is very easy to do well (especially if you enjoy it) just by going to tutorials and participating in discussions/doing reading responses. She wanted us to buy a textbook (which she co-authored) and a custom courseware (the readings we had to write our responses about). Honestly, you can get by with just getting the custom courseware but you'll need the textbook to define key terms (a huge part of the final exam). None of us read past the first chapter of the textbook, you just need it for the glossary. She recommends buying the newest version but you can definitely get by with the older versions. It is definitely do-able to get 10-12.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for CSCT 1CS3: Studying Culture: A Critical Introduction!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search