MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Sc 2ei3: Introduction To Environmental Issues Anaam 2nd Year Course Reviews 30 05-27-2017 03:26 PM
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM
environmental science 1a03?? demelo_b Academics 7 11-30-2008 01:56 PM

Earth & Environmental Science Major

Old 06-20-2010 at 08:01 PM   #1
Shananaghens

Liked: 3 Times

Earth & Environmental Science Major
Hey guys, I thought I'd just post my thoughts on this major. Just to start off, when I applied to universities last year, I had NO idea it existed - it's only really just becoming popular, for example they only recently added an envirosci course to the highschool I graduated from! By luck, I ended up having to choose another school to apply to, so found "Environmental science" on the mac website and knew it was for me.

First year is really broad, they give you a really non-specific outline throughout the full 3 or 4 years of the program.. I personally have decided to minor in biology, which still leaves room for a couple extra just-for-interest courses. I love the profs for each of the classes, Mclachlan & Bernier are amazing (Bernier is actually the program advisor).

A lot of people like to ask me, "What do you even plan on doing with your degree?" as if it leads to nothing.. So I actually took time to go to monster.ca and halton.ca and do some searching for jobs. Most require atleast 5 years of field work experience (which you can get straight out of university that would pay average/decently) but then after those 5 years or so, the jobs out there pay ridiculous amounts of money and you do AMAZING things:

For instance, there's a lot of jobs geared around water; water treatment, water allocation, politics of environmental issues surrounding water, ect. Not only this, but there's many jobs within politics about pretty much any other issue surrounding enviro issues. I'm taking a lot of courses on geology, which can also give you some great background into careers dealing with geophysics, finding/developing resources, working with engineers, ect.

I personally hope to start off working for a business, such as Walmart's green department, working with engineers and head office to oversee/help develop and implement more "green" procedures and architecture. I'd like to maybe even work for Halton Region in one of their various environmental sectors, maybe one day work my way up to Provincial, National, or even the UN level work!

Anyway, I thought I'd just share some ideas and try to encourage more first years to look up the program! It's really great