MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Hamilton music scene julianface Music 2 07-27-2010 12:57 AM
MSU Drama Scene akbadak Clubs & Groups 6 01-04-2010 10:27 PM
The Hamilton Bar Scene: Clubs Chad Local Hotspots & Travel 3 01-05-2008 06:22 PM

The Hamilton Bar Scene: Pubs

The Hamilton Bar Scene: Pubs
By Danielle Lorenz

I know I can’t be the ONLY person who likes to avoid clubs if at all possible. Thus, I have a tendency to check out the pubs in Hamilton instead. Like my previous article, I will be focusing on places close to campus as well as in the downtown core and Hess Village.

Westend Pub
Although it is a little bit of a hike from campus, it is certainly worth it. Located on Emerson, Westend has well-priced pitchers and really good wings. Unfortunately it has limited seating and fills up quickly.

Ceilidh House Irish Pub
Pronounced as Kaylee House, Ceilidh House in Hess Village is a relatively new Irish pub. With an array of spirits available from both Canada and abroad, there is lots of whet your pallet with. Additionally, there is a good menu of pub faire, and daily specials. The pub also sponsors the Toronto FC and the Hamilton Tiger Cats. With a variety of events and promotions going on Ceilidh House is a great place to check out. 107 George Street Hamilton, ON L8P 1E3

Snooty Fox
Snooty is located in the heart of Westdale, and is almost always busy. With breakfast served until the afternoon on weekends, and half price appetizers after 11pm you will never leave hungry. Add to that a great selection of draught and other alcohol. Purchase a SOCS membership for the year and also get a discount while at Snooty. The downfall is that the place is kind of small and fills up quickly. http://www.snootyfox.ca

Slainte’s Irish Pub

It is apparent that Hamilton has a rather large amount of Irish pubs. No matter, you will still have lots of fun here. Here there is a lot of good food, and good drinks, which are often very well priced. Five days of the week there are live bands playing. They are also located in Hess village, and are a very popular spot to pre-drink. Here is their website: http://www.slainteirishpub.c a

Honest Lawyer
It’s not quite a pub, but I don’t know how to classify it. Connected to Jackson’s Square in the downtown core, the Honest Lawyer is part pub and part Chuck E Cheese. Opening early in 2007, the Lawyer is only beginning to become popular with Mac students.

Gown and Gavel
Another of the many pubs found in Hess Village, the G&G has a very intricate layout. With a mixture of university students and older folk, the G&G never disappoints. Thankfully for the kind that get chilly (AKA me), the G&G has large heat lamps on its outdoor patio. There is also a tea room which is relatively unknown by most patrons.

Ram’s Head
Located across from campus, Ram’s is definitely the place to go on Wednesday nights. Although it also has limited seating, the food is good and the drinks well-priced. It is also conveniently located nearly beside Gino’s where you can get a medium pizza for $5.75 after 11PM.

The Phoenix

Last and certainly not least is the graduate students’ pub on campus, The Phoenix. It's located on campus which is great because you can go there after class and it's in walking distance! Serving lunch and dinner, as well great appetizers, the food is good and well-priced. The Phoenix also has karaoke and open mic nights throughout the year.

pinkshuniza says thanks to Chad for this post.

Gabriella* likes this.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-21-2007 at 09:04 PM   #2
hunnie36
Faculty: Science
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
isn't Slainte's located downtown and not Hess???
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-21-2007 at 09:23 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
It's on Bowen street, if that helps?

I recall it being in Hess...but I quite possibly could be wrong...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools