MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Review for CA Perry Academics 2 07-15-2013 02:22 PM
Academic Requisite lululand Academics 1 01-04-2011 06:24 PM
Academic Advising 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-01-2010 05:33 PM
Academic standing greekkid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-14-2010 08:13 PM
Academic Review meklia Academics 0 03-15-2010 08:08 AM

Help Academic Dishonesty

Old 11-18-2015 at 08:11 AM   #1
leavealegacy

Liked: 1 Time

Help Academic Dishonesty
Help, I have received and email from my prof saying I have violated the academic dishonest for a lab in chem 1A03.

I am being completely honest to say that I am shocked. I only seen past labs to look at formating and work with may Lab partner to see if we got the same numbers at the end nothing else.

What should I suspect in the meeting I have this Friday? I am already in trouble and should start freaking out or will I be able to plead my case and have nothing happen?

I honestly was completely surprised.

PLEASE HELP
Old 11-18-2015 at 09:05 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Talk to him, tell him he's wrong.
Old 11-18-2015 at 03:42 PM   #3
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Yup, honestly you just have to meet with him and plead your case. As him for proof of how he thinks you copied another lab. Maybe even have your lab partner come with you to meet him.
Old 11-18-2015 at 07:37 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Well, nobody can tell you what will happen since you haven't said (any maybe you aren't yet aware) what part of the academic dishonesty policy you are alleged to have violated.
It's more than just copying word for word. It even includes if you share your work with someone else and they copy it. And it's not unheard of for one lab partner to send the other one their report, with the receiving partner saying that they just want to compare numbers, and then unbeknownst to the first partner, the entire report was copied word for word. According to the policy, you are responsible for ensuring that people don't copy your work (i.e. if you give it to someone and they copy, you are partially responsible).
Or maybe you were supposed to cite some information in your report and you didn't.
There are so many possibilities, it's certainly not just limited to what you described. You should just wait for the meeting if you aren't aware of what exactly the problem is.
Old 11-18-2015 at 11:10 PM   #5
leavealegacy

I did the lab completely alone did not give anyone a copy. Only thing i did at the end was ask my partner the number value she got and we got the same and should have gotten the same. Like about 1000 people have done this lab so i would have similar labs it was pretty structured and there is only so many sources of errors. the only thing i could think of was I checked for plagiarism on an online program could they use the same program and then it be like a plagiarized my self.
Old 11-24-2015 at 11:31 AM   #6
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

What was the result of your meeting!?
Old 11-25-2015 at 07:56 PM   #7
leavealegacy

They made a mistake the lab they thought I plagiarised was very similar but as I said I didn't copy, I proved my self and they let me go. Saying "we sorry for stressing you out..."
Old 11-26-2015 at 03:57 PM   #8
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Glad to hear it all worked out! Now sue their asses for the mental/emotional distress this caused you.
Old 11-27-2015 at 06:18 PM   #9
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Now sue their asses for the mental/emotional distress this caused you.
Come on, it's University. There's gotta be a section on "not being responsible for mental torture" in one of those documents we sign when we get in. You paid your tuition, that's all they care about.

leavealegacy likes this.
Old 12-12-2015 at 03:49 PM   #10
leavealegacy

i agree felt like a aged five years in two days of stress