MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JPPL or Political Science james500 Academics 2 05-25-2013 03:58 PM
Medical Radiation Sciences program = Hardest undergrad program ? mastercool First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-27-2011 10:27 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

JPPL Program

Old 12-02-2014 at 09:19 AM   #1
Jeremy1996

Liked: 1 Time

JPPL Program
Hey everyone,

I am just curious about the Justice, Political Philosophy and Law program here at Mac. I am mostly interested in the admissions process and how vigorous it really is. I have checked the website but I want to know specific marks and criteria they are looking for in applicants.

I am currently in Social Science, so will that effect my admission eligibility in any way?

I have heard from a few friends saying they got accepted without writing the admissions essay, and that acceptance is mostly based on your first term/year GPA.

Also, if you are in the program any information on course load, and classes you need to take would be appreciated!

Stay classy

partynextdoor likes this.
Old 12-29-2014 at 03:41 PM   #2
partynextdoor

Liked: 0 Times

someone answer this pleaaasee!!!
Old 01-01-2015 at 10:15 AM   #3
phudge

Hey!

I am currently in my second year at Mac and my first in JPPL (as it is a second year entry program). In regards to the admissions process, I would not say it is really all that rigorous. The application is composed of 2 questions (at least this was the case for me), the last one being optional to explain any reasons why your grades suffered in first year due to illness or otherwise. The question just asks you to demonstrate why you feel you would be a good fit for the program. For more info on the application and the questions, check this page (it should be updated sometime this term): https://webserver.humanities. mcmas...lementary.html

While they don't really disclose much about the selection process (to my knowledge), I would say that your GPA for first year is probably the biggest factor. I have also heard that your mark in Philos 1B03 (intro to legal philosophy) is individually looked at as well. With that said, the written applications are definitely read and are also an important component. This is just speculation, but by the sounds of it the application is what is used as a tiebreaker between students or when the student's GPA is below the cut-off and they want to explain why they should still be accepted. I would strongly recommend doing the application. It doesn't take much time and only helps your chances.

Applying from another faculty will not hurt your chances in admission! I had this same fear last year for myself and asked an academic advisor. They said that your first year faculty does not matter. However, they do want to see at least 6 units of first year philosophy courses (I think - see website above to verify). While this is not a mandatory requirement that will make or break your chances (they won't not choose you based on this), I found it to be really good preparation for future required courses. It gives you an idea about what studying philosophy will be like and could help you decide whether or not the program is for you.

As for the program itself, I love it thus far. I have found the topics interesting and feel that I have gained a lot of useful knowledge from the courses I have taken so far. I think it is a great option for anyone considering future studies or work in law, policymaking, etc. However, it may not be for everyone. Some students may prefer taking political science instead, which focuses less on philosophical theories and more on applied subjects (from my understanding anyways). For me, I was more interested in the required courses the JPPL program and also saw benefit in being in such a small program. If you are not already enrolled in philosophy courses, I would recommend going and sitting in on a few lectures to see if its something you could see yourself enjoying. Philosophy is kind of a "you love it or you hate it" thing, so be sure to do some research!

All the classes you would need to take can be found on that website. Personally, I find that there is a good selection of courses for you to choose from. One of the best things about JPPL is the flexibility it offers. Some courses can be quite difficult and demanding, but they are also often rewarding in the end. So far I have really enjoyed all of my required courses. The work load is probably on par with similar programs like poli sci, perhaps a little heavier since philosophy readings can be rather time consuming. That's tough to say since its subjective and requires one to have been in both to really say for sure. It is hard and challenging, but it is doable!

The profs are also fantastic and one of the program's biggest strengths. Everyone is super supportive and want to keep you engaged and watch you succeed.

Anyone who wishes to ask me more about the program and admissions can send me a PM on here! You can also email [email protected] m for advice from students, as well as contacting program administrators by using contact info found on the JPPL website linked above. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Jeremy1996 says thanks to phudge for this post.

Silver likes this.
Old 01-05-2015 at 03:33 PM   #4
Jeremy1996

Thank you for such a thorough answer! Good luck this semester!