MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-14-2011 at 07:30 PM   #1
zunihossain

Liked: 0 Times

Keeping fit
To any first year engineers out there,
due to the heavy engineering workload, do you think its possible to keep a daily workout routine?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2011 at 07:33 PM   #2
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I didn't. But I don't have the motivation. If you make time, you'll be able to do it.
Old 05-14-2011 at 08:08 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

i see a lot of engineers in the gym.
Old 05-14-2011 at 08:32 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you set aside one hour each day to go to the pulse and say, cycle, you'll stay/get into pretty good shape.

It's the little changes in your routine that result in big changes...not the "binge" style workout sessions.
Old 05-14-2011 at 08:52 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

depends on how smart u are
Old 05-14-2011 at 09:05 PM   #6
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

easy. i worked out 2-3 times a week for about an hour each time, no sweat . if you stop wasting time posting on macinsiders and doing other stupid shit, you`ll be amazed how much more time you have and how much more you can accomplish in one day. real talk.
Old 05-14-2011 at 09:31 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Silly question. Just bike, and your commute time turns into workout time.
Old 05-14-2011 at 10:31 PM   #8
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Silly question. Just bike, and your commute time turns into workout time.
Biking isn't always the easiest option, especially during the winter time. Now that it's summer, definitely take advantage of the beautiful weather and bike to campus! There are also some beautiful trails that you can explore.

I try and work out right after I wake up. I might have breakfast and then do some work for 45 min- an hour before I do my workout. It takes motivation but it gets you started and I have plenty of energy for the rest of the day!

Another idea is to schedule your workout during your breaks. If you're doing summer school, go right before or after your classes. Also, see if a buddy would like to join you. It's harder to back out when your friend is already at the gym!

Icecream likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:53 AM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunihossain View Post
To any first year engineers out there,
due to the heavy engineering workload, do you think its possible to keep a daily workout routine?
Thanks
It's a matter of discipline. I spent far more time studying in first year than second or third (and my grades showed it ), and didn't miss a workout for like 2-3 months at a time. For my second or third year, my gym attendance was terrible just because I couldn't care less. Manage your time, focus on what you want to get done, you will have plenty of time.

EDIT: Commuting 1hr+ each way as well.
Old 05-15-2011 at 12:00 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by albalks View Post
Biking isn't always the easiest option, especially during the winter time. Now that it's summer, definitely take advantage of the beautiful weather and bike to campus! There are also some beautiful trails that you can explore.

I try and work out right after I wake up. I might have breakfast and then do some work for 45 min- an hour before I do my workout. It takes motivation but it gets you started and I have plenty of energy for the rest of the day!

Another idea is to schedule your workout during your breaks. If you're doing summer school, go right before or after your classes. Also, see if a buddy would like to join you. It's harder to back out when your friend is already at the gym!
I'm aware of this. The problem people make is when trying to keep fit is they make working out a chore, which is why motivation breaks down.

Either make keeping active an integral part of your life, or fun. Some people get away with the motivation that: "okay, if I pump iron every day, I'll be a smexy mofo", etc, but a lot don't, because of the delayed gratification involved after you get a slight hypertrophy following the first few workouts, then diminishing returns afterwards.
Old 05-15-2011 at 01:08 PM   #11
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'm aware of this. The problem people make is when trying to keep fit is they make working out a chore, which is why motivation breaks down.

Either make keeping active an integral part of your life, or fun. Some people get away with the motivation that: "okay, if I pump iron every day, I'll be a smexy mofo", etc, but a lot don't, because of the delayed gratification involved after you get a slight hypertrophy following the first few workouts, then diminishing returns afterwards.
^ This. If you try to work out to impress other people, it's bound to fail, especially when you aren't getting the feedback you wanted. When you work out, you must have some sensible goal, i.e strength, sprinting, football, marathon, etc. You have to make it a lifestyle in order to be consistent.

arathbon likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 01:11 PM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Also just in general. Working out for the purpose of being attractive is fine. But don't judge your attractiveness on what other people say. Judge it based on how you feel. But if you really want feedback, work out over a time not a lot of people will see you and see what they say when you return. I did this July and August last year and when I was back at Mac in September I got a lot of complements on how good I looked.
Old 05-16-2011 at 10:49 AM   #13
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Daily workout :
1 hour of weight lifting,
20 minutes running (morning)
Push ups every morning

Weekend : Some biking or swimming

The above is not nearly enough to achieve your maximal fitness. Swimming + Running is essential.
Old 05-16-2011 at 11:40 AM   #14
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Daily workout :
1 hour of weight lifting,
20 minutes running (morning)
Push ups every morning

Weekend : Some biking or swimming

The above is not nearly enough to achieve your maximal fitness. Swimming + Running is essential.
Results: lack of muscles repairing (especially the chest)

Y?
Old 05-16-2011 at 11:47 AM   #15
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Actually most built guys I know are in engineering. They carry their protein shake along with their jam packed backpack. Maybe it's the competition thing within the faculty since there are so many guys in there. lol