Old 12-10-2010 at 01:13 AM   #16
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Oh Leafs are still in the NHL ?
Old 12-10-2010 at 01:25 AM   #17
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

The thing with the leafs is there is no leadership on the offense. no veteran forward on the leafs at all. they need someone to take charge of the offense and then the defense can worry about their end. i think most of the giveaways right now by some leafs defensemen are due to them being too offensive. unless we can get a forward who is close to his 30's we wont have any leadership on our forward lines.
Old 12-10-2010 at 03:09 AM   #18
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
The thing with the leafs is there is no leadership on the offense. no veteran forward on the leafs at all. they need someone to take charge of the offense and then the defense can worry about their end. i think most of the giveaways right now by some leafs defensemen are due to them being too offensive. unless we can get a forward who is close to his 30's we wont have any leadership on our forward lines.
My thoughts exactly. Phil Kessel has to start being a leader, or move aside as the offensive focus. Grabovski is starting to emerge as a leader. I've never seen him play so hard in my life.

syan9184 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 12:41 PM   #19
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

Grabs is playing well right now - no complaints with him from my side

Yesterday's game was brutal though...what's with this "oh we're behind 3-0, maybe we should score a goal now" work ethic?!

Although I'm not going to lie, when we scored those two goals in the third against the Pens to make it 4-2, I did get a tinyyyyyyy bit hopeful again....comeback repeat

What do you guys think about the goaltending?
Old 12-10-2010 at 01:15 PM   #20
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockalot View Post
Grabs is playing well right now - no complaints with him from my side

Yesterday's game was brutal though...what's with this "oh we're behind 3-0, maybe we should score a goal now" work ethic?!

Although I'm not going to lie, when we scored those two goals in the third against the Pens to make it 4-2, I did get a tinyyyyyyy bit hopeful again....comeback repeat

What do you guys think about the goaltending?
Gustavsson is amazing... he definitely needs better playing in front of him, but overall he is an awesome goalie. I'd say he's easily the best goalie the Leafs have had in awhile....(Raycroft, Tellqvist, Aubin...)

Giguere I believe is past his prime, but he is there to show leadership. I believe he's needed to provide the Leafs with a veteran goaltender, one that can steal a game once in awhile. You can tell he's so frustrated though.

syan9184 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 01:40 PM   #21
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

I'm with you on that! I feel like the Monster's been pretty great for us so far! Too bad the team's left him hanging most of the season. And you're right, seems like we have a lack of veteran leadership in the dressing room - Kaberle is one of the older Leaf players but he seems like the quiet kind of guy lol.

I miss the Sundin-Mogilny-Nieuwendyk-Roberts-Tucker-Domi days haha :(

Jason036 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 02:22 PM   #22
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Gustavsson will be a solid goalie, and our defense is average but can improve (Komi's underachieving).

Burke made a big mistake trading for Kessel especially since he had no plans on acquiring a center right away (14 months now). Kessel is not a game changer and doesnt take charge, and he never will. Hes a quite guy who can score goals.

Game against philly alst night was brutal. Fans booed the whole game and threw waffle at the end....who brings waffles to games...
Old 12-10-2010 at 02:46 PM   #23
bcars
Elite Member

Gustavsson has emerged as my favourite player. He's such a dynamic goalie and he can't be faulted for his play lately. Washington's goals were hardly his fault, and then he stoned all three shooters in the shooutout. The guy has tremendous footspeed, and is an exciting highlight-reel goaltender. He's had two saves so far this year that could make the top 10 saves of the season so far. If he had a better defence in front of him, I honestly think (no exaggeration) that he could be on the borderline of Vezina talks. His numbers lie, it's not fair to him what he's expected to stop.

Giguere is a sound goalie, and his strength is his glove hand. Unfortunately he's getting a bit slow down low and his groin is showing the wear and tear we've heard about for a while now. The five-hole goal against Philadelphia last night was very weak. He's gotta patch that up. I think Wilson should relegate him to a #2 role for the time being, get him an MRI on his groin, see if he actually needs surgery of any kind, and let him heal. I wouldn't mind Toronto re-signing him, but obviously for substantially less than his ludicrous $6.5 million deal currently.

shockalot likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 02:55 PM   #24
Jason036

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
I wouldn't mind Toronto re-signing him, but obviously for substantially less than his ludicrous $6.5 million deal currently.
I had no idea he was making that much...that is insanity. I would have thought $4 million tops.
Old 12-10-2010 at 03:16 PM   #25
bcars
Elite Member

Haha hope. But he was actually a good deal, because we gave up MORE in salary to get him (Jason Blake was $4 mil and Vesa Toskala was $3.5 mil). Trade of the year.
Old 12-10-2010 at 03:40 PM   #26
lilkarina

Liked: 8 Times

leafs neeed to get some better offense. they need some one to step up and take charge. personally i don't like kaberle and think the leafs should've traded him when they had the chance.

here's a leafs blog i find quite amusing http://thestar.blogs.com/leafsfan/ A Leafs Fan Blogs is written by one fan for other fans. Vinay Menon, a columnist at the Star, will cast an optimistic eye on the team during the 2010-11 season. Because hope springs eternal in Leafs Nation
Old 12-10-2010 at 03:54 PM   #27
Jason036

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkarina View Post
leafs neeed to get some better offense. they need some one to step up and take charge. personally i don't like kaberle and think the leafs should've traded him when they had the chance.

I like Kaberle. I think he's exactly what the Leafs need in terms of moving the puck up the ice. Having said that, I feel like if we can get a 1st rounder for him and maybe a young prospect, we should trade him this year for the upcoming draft. He's probably the only way we're going to get a chance of getting a 1st rounder.

The way the Leafs are looking, if we can get a top 3 pick overall...I would trade him in a second.
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:04 PM   #28
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
I like Kaberle. I think he's exactly what the Leafs need in terms of moving the puck up the ice. Having said that, I feel like if we can get a 1st rounder for him and maybe a young prospect, we should trade him this year for the upcoming draft. He's probably the only way we're going to get a chance of getting a 1st rounder.

The way the Leafs are looking, if we can get a top 3 pick overall...I would trade him in a second.
why would we trade him for a draft pick? we'll just be even worse this season, and with stupid boston in a position to steal a good draft pick again . No we trade him, for a young already established center in the league...no one comes to mind right now, but there is definitely a market for kaberle to be traded.
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:09 PM   #29
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
why would we trade him for a draft pick? we'll just be even worse this season, and with stupid boston in a position to steal a good draft pick again . No we trade him, for a young already established center in the league...no one comes to mind right now, but there is definitely a market for kaberle to be traded.
I wont mind if leafs make a push of trading kabby for stephen weiss, but i doubt florida will give him up.

Maybe try to get Brad richards this summer, and Richards has already said he will love playing for TO. Some veteran leadership will really help this team.
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:23 PM   #30
Jason036

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Yeah we will be even worse this season, so what. The bottom line is if you don't make the playoffs it doesn't matter anyway. Does coming in 28th place mean anything compared to coming in 21st?

It can go either way. You can get a 1st rounder for Kaberle, and end up drafting a 1st rounder that never meets his full potential. Or you could trade for a "young already established center" and he could come here and play like crap for the overpriced salary Leafs are notorious for paying.