MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:37 PM   #31
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
Yeah we will be even worse this season, so what. The bottom line is if you don't make the playoffs it doesn't matter anyway. Does coming in 28th place mean anything compared to coming in 21st?

It can go either way. You can get a 1st rounder for Kaberle, and end up drafting a 1st rounder that never meets his full potential. Or you could trade for a "young already established center" and he could come here and play like crap for the overpriced salary Leafs are notorious for paying.
okay so im not a huge hockey fan, i prefer basketball, but wasn't burke's biggest mistake overvaluing kessel and giving away really high draft picks(is seguin even gonna be a star in this league?) for the slumping sob? if we finish last burke will be outta that door so quick...b/c he gave away another #1 or #2 to boston, Im not saying its right but there's no way in hell he'd make this team any worse (even if its short termi) if he values his job, and i think the leafs will be good 2013-2014
Old 12-10-2010 at 05:13 PM   #32
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
okay so im not a huge hockey fan, i prefer basketball, but wasn't burke's biggest mistake overvaluing kessel and giving away really high draft picks(is seguin even gonna be a star in this league?) for the slumping sob? if we finish last burke will be outta that door so quick...b/c he gave away another #1 or #2 to boston, Im not saying its right but there's no way in hell he'd make this team any worse (even if its short termi) if he values his job, and i think the leafs will be good 2013-2014

Well 28th vs 21st, is the positino you pick, and I dont think leafs want to give Boston another top 3 picks.

Kessel is a strong player, he just needs a strong center to play with, and its Burke's fault for acquiring him without having a plan to acquire a center right away. A deal like Kessel should not be made, unless theres a strong chance of winning the cup that year.

icecubz, syan9184 like this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 05:34 PM   #33
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

So obviously this is where the leaf fans are hanging out. Does anyone have tickets for March 2nd that they want to sell? Leafs vs. Pens... actually I think they're playing Pittsburgh on Feb. 26th, too. Anyone have any to sell for either day?
Old 12-10-2010 at 05:57 PM   #34
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

How I feel about this season can be summed up by Gustavsson's reaction after Komi passed the puck right to Cammalleri in front of the net... who subsequently scored, i.e. "FAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!".

Buuuut, Buffalo did the exact same thing against Boston and ended up losing in OT... hurr hurrr. c:

Last edited by Jellybeanz : 12-10-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:28 PM   #35
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
Question for the Leafs fans: opinions on Ron Wilson? Not the right guy for the job right now or doing the best he can with the sh!t he's been given?
Yes he is partially to blame considering that the Buds have a poor PP/PK record.
But we can't expect him to do much with the players Burke brought to TO...
ie. Komisarek, Lebda, Bozak, Phaneuf (i could go on with the list)
So I guess this is the best he can do.
I would point my fingers to Mr. Huge Ego (burke)
In my opinion, the only positive thing Burke has done so far, is bringing in Gus.
I really feel for Gus..the d-men always leave him hanging with all those turn overs. They are just crushing his confidence more and more! He has great potential and he deserves better...I hope he leaves TO when he gets the chance.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:39 PM   #36
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
Yes he is partially to blame considering that the Buds have a poor PP/PK record.
But we can't expect him to do much with the players Burke brought to TO...
ie. Komisarek, Lebda, Bozak, Phaneuf (i could go on with the list)
So I guess this is the best he can do.
I would point my fingers to Mr. Huge Ego (burke)
In my opinion, the only positive thing Burke has done so far, is bringing in Gus.
I really feel for Gus..the d-men always leave him hanging with all those turn overs. They are just crushing his confidence more and more! He has great potential and he deserves better...I hope he leaves TO when he gets the chance.
Well our defense has changed since RW has been here, and the PK record is still shit.

Yea Gustavsson is prolly gona leave if there is no improvement soon.
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:20 PM   #37
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I had this little boy come to my door for hallowe'en dressed as Luke Schenn and I almost hugged him. But that would have been weird.
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:48 AM   #38
burforbt

Liked: Liked 4 Times

All I want for christmas.

http://twoeightnine.spreadsh irt.co...fles-I10938310
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:24 AM   #39
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

The Leafs are not in a position to sell anyone for draft picks. They can't go any lower in the standings; handing a lottery draft pick to the Bruins would be an organizational embarrassment and a serious disadvantage. They have to find a way to improve.

People who think we just should have traded Kaberle... two things. First of all, Kaberle has an NTC which he rightfully earned. He's not going to waive it unless it's a city he wants AND there's a long term contract offered on the other end. In other words, practically unmoveable, and he should finish his career in Toronto. Terrific defenceman. Secondly, it would hurt our offence more. He doesn't score a lot of goals but he racks up assists because he is one of the best defencemen in the NHL at setting up a tip-in, and he is quite honestly top 5 in the NHL in passing. He's extremely underrated.
Old 12-11-2010 at 12:18 PM   #40
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
The Leafs are not in a position to sell anyone for draft picks. They can't go any lower in the standings; handing a lottery draft pick to the Bruins would be an organizational embarrassment and a serious disadvantage. They have to find a way to improve.

People who think we just should have traded Kaberle... two things. First of all, Kaberle has an NTC which he rightfully earned. He's not going to waive it unless it's a city he wants AND there's a long term contract offered on the other end. In other words, practically unmoveable, and he should finish his career in Toronto. Terrific defenceman. Secondly, it would hurt our offence more. He doesn't score a lot of goals but he racks up assists because he is one of the best defencemen in the NHL at setting up a tip-in, and he is quite honestly top 5 in the NHL in passing. He's extremely underrated.
that doesn't leave many options; wait it out or trade a big piece?
Old 12-12-2010 at 05:12 PM   #41
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
that doesn't leave many options; wait it out or trade a big piece?
Unfortunately we don't have many options. We can't afford to rebuild this season, it makes a division rival stronger with a better draft pick.

Also, who saw the game last night?!
Old 12-12-2010 at 05:44 PM   #42
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't have many options. We can't afford to rebuild this season, it makes a division rival stronger with a better draft pick.

Also, who saw the game last night?!
kaberle isn't exactly young, we're not making any use of him in his prime, trade him for younger pieces that are already performing well?
Old 12-12-2010 at 08:46 PM   #43
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
kaberle isn't exactly young, we're not making any use of him in his prime, trade him for younger pieces that are already performing well?
In a perfect world, sure. But short-sighted fans like you really frustrate me. That's not meant to be offensive; but just think about it. When you trade away a player on the pretenses that you want to "get rid of him," you've got to have a team willing to take him. Who would take Tomas Kaberle who looks like he's starting to move past his prime as a defenceman (he's committed a ton of errors this year) in exchange for "younger pieces that are performing well?" Not gonna happen. In addition, Kaberle has an NTC clause and he has stated to Burke that he will only waive it if the team promises a long term contract upon trade, and that he can stay close to home, which is a problem since the two teams that want him the most right now are San Jose and Los Angeles.

Tomas Kaberle isn't that old (33 I think)? He has quite a few years left in the tank. He's given a lot to Toronto. He's not physical but has a laser sight on the end of his stick, I swear. Accurate passer and one of the most dangerous shooters in the NHL; not only can he hit the net but I would argue he's the best at setting up a tip-in. I think we should relieve Kaberle's stress and actually lock him down for another 5 years, offer him $4 mil a year. That would be totally fine with me.

Last edited by bcars : 12-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.

syan9184 likes this.
Old 12-12-2010 at 11:34 PM   #44
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
I would argue he's the best at setting up a tip-in. I think we should relieve Kaberle's stress and actually lock him down for another 5 years, offer him $4 mil a year. That would be totally fine with me.
I agree with that, I wouldn't mind keeping Kaberle, as I feel he is the type of defenceman that any team can use. He is very underrated.

The team overall on paper looks very good, but the chemistry is just not there.

The game last night shows the inconsistency this team has. They can beat a top team like Montreal 3-1, then lose to Edmonton 5-0....

Maybe the constant line juggling by Ron Wilson isn't helping the team?

Either way, they need to bring in some younger talent. I like Kadri but I still feel that he was brought up way too early, despite what they originally said they were going to do (keep him on the Marlies for another year and bring him up later)
Old 12-12-2010 at 11:46 PM   #45
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
Maybe the constant line juggling by Ron Wilson isn't helping the team?

Either way, they need to bring in some younger talent. I like Kadri but I still feel that he was brought up way too early, despite what they originally said they were going to do (keep him on the Marlies for another year and bring him up later)
On your first point, I agree. It doesn't matter if we lose, stop juggling the lines. If we aren't scoring, it's not because the lines are bad but because we just suck. What we lack in skill we need to make up in chemistry and there will never be chemistry if Kadri and Kessel wake up in the morning and have no idea what line they will be playing on that day.

Leading to your second point... Burke didn't have a choice. We can't afford to keep losing, and they lacked scoring, so they called up the most promising scorer. While he hasn't scored yet, he's showed flashes of brilliance. That guy can dangle with the best of them.... finishing will come with practice and he will score 10-15 by the end of the year, I promise.

The only problem is Kessel. He's a 40-50 goal scorer, I can see it. It's in his game. He just has to stop being so predictable, and Wilson should put him on the point instead of Versteeg, because Kessel actually hits the ****ing net.