MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Grad School Pre Reqs in Summer School? ChhabrN Academics 2 01-01-2013 12:34 AM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
Orgo and English for MCATs MichaelScarn Academics 7 05-30-2011 10:41 PM
Taking MCATs: is now too early?? Maria Daniel Academics 6 05-12-2011 09:38 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM

MCATs and Summer School?

Old 04-23-2013 at 05:09 PM   #1
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

MCATs and Summer School?
I should've thought about all this earlier and I'm stressing myself out now. Firstly, I have to take Orgo 2OA3 and 2OB3 this summer for sure because I don't want to take it during my third year and it's a pre-req for some of my 3rd year courses.

At the same time, I just finished second year and I know this is ideal time for people to write their MCATs so I'm worried that I'm leaving mine until third year summer because I'm not confident in my abilities to write it once.

1. Would it be too much to do both orgos (finishes in first week of August) while taking an MCAT prep course, study for ~1 month and write the MCAT in early September?

OR

2. Just do orgo and volunteering this summer, leave MCAT until third year with the risk of only being able to write it once. Is it possible to write it twice during third year in time to apply at grad schools in my 4th year?

Thanks so much!!
Old 04-23-2013 at 05:32 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I should've thought about all this earlier and I'm stressing myself out now. Firstly, I have to take Orgo 2OA3 and 2OB3 this summer for sure because I don't want to take it during my third year and it's a pre-req for some of my 3rd year courses.

At the same time, I just finished second year and I know this is ideal time for people to write their MCATs so I'm worried that I'm leaving mine until third year summer because I'm not confident in my abilities to write it once.

1. Would it be too much to do both orgos (finishes in first week of August) while taking an MCAT prep course, study for ~1 month and write the MCAT in early September?

OR

2. Just do orgo and volunteering this summer, leave MCAT until third year with the risk of only being able to write it once. Is it possible to write it twice during third year in time to apply at grad schools in my 4th year?

Thanks so much!!
Sure it's possible to do both, but you know yourself better. If you think you won't be able to do it, then you're probably right.

You can arrange to do it near the beginning of summer next year and then that leaves you enough time to write again in Aug/Sept if you don't do so well.

You don't need MCAT to apply to grad schools
Old 04-23-2013 at 05:34 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Yes it's possible to write the MCAT/do summer school/work full time over the summer. You have a month to study (you should really just do practice tests) and most of the material is already fresh in your mind. Plus, most of the knowledge required comes from the stems ... You can always defer to 3rd year, but 1 month should be sufficient. I wouldn't plan on writing it multiple times.

Old 04-23-2013 at 05:39 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I'm giving myself ~ 6 wks to study MCAT.
Countdown to May 30th test date!!! :.)))
Old 04-23-2013 at 05:51 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

what program are you in christ?
Old 04-23-2013 at 06:24 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:

OR

Thanks so much!!
I highly recommend doing it in second, and third if needed. Experience is key.

Shameless plug, but I have quite a bit of MCAT books for sale (offer extended to anyone interested), if you're into self-studying. PM me.
Old 04-23-2013 at 06:26 PM   #7
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Would taking a prep course with summer school and then writing the MCAT be too much or should I do summer school and self study instead?

I'm in Bio (Physiology spec.) Silver, why?
Old 04-23-2013 at 06:36 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Would taking a prep course with summer school and then writing the MCAT be too much or should I do summer school and self study instead?

The thing about prep courses are they are very structured, which can help keep you on track, but would interfere with something like summer school. You're also forced into a certain pace (keeping up with the class), which may be too slow or too fast for you.

For example, you cant skip prep class when you have a midterm in orgo the next day. I think with orgo especially you'll need a lot of out of class practice, and adding a prep course to that might be too much.

I was hitting mid-30s or so by the time I started practice tests, and this was after writing out all my notes and not re-studying, so its definitely possible to do well on your own.
Old 04-23-2013 at 06:43 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:

cant you do orgo in 3rd year then biochem 3g03 in 4th. orgo is only prereq for 3g03

edit: nvm u dont wanna do orgo 3rd year.
edit2: why not do orgo in summer of 3rd year

Last edited by Silver : 04-24-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2013 at 10:14 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:

Self Study. The courses are useless, the only useful things are the practice tests. It's all a stamina/logical reasoning.

The Princeton books cover way too much material and since you're in Physiology you should be fine for most of the content without studying. :\ Read over the format for Princeton writing samples and do a bunch of EK Verbal 101 passages and you'll do fine.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 04-24-2013 at 09:56 AM   #11
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time

Also for anyone reading this thread who are in need of prepbooks: I have entire sets of MCAT Kaplan and Exam Kracker prepbooks for VERY CHEAP!! They are the latest editions and are in very good condition.

Email me at [email protected] if interested.
Old 04-24-2013 at 11:46 AM   #12
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

It would be a bitch to do orgos and study for the MCAT, at least for me. Also Im told that the prep course is only good if you take the MCAT right after you do it.