MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help Re: McMaster E-Mail VastHorizon Computers & Tech 3 09-05-2010 07:05 PM
McMaster E-mail Lilylune First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-11-2010 06:52 AM
Mcmaster E-mail Question natashapoly Computers & Tech 5 01-31-2010 05:11 PM
McMaster E-Mail Q Goce General Discussion 2 05-19-2009 01:08 AM
McMaster E-mail Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-07-2008 10:08 PM

McMaster E-mail Huge Issues

Old 08-26-2010 at 08:46 PM   #1
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

McMaster E-mail Huge Issues
So my McMaster e-mail only decides to receive half the e-mails it gets. I know this because I redirect all my e-mails from my McMaster email to my hotmail, and my hotmail receives all of them. But when I log onto my McMaster email to reply to some of the e-mails redirected to my hotmail, half of them are not in my inbox (the McMaster inbox).

Does anyone else have this issue? How do I fix it? This shit needs an overhaul, btw.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:50 PM   #2
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
So my McMaster e-mail only decides to receive half the e-mails it gets. I know this because I redirect all my e-mails from my McMaster email to my hotmail, and my hotmail receives all of them. But when I log onto my McMaster email to reply to some of the e-mails redirected to my hotmail, half of them are not in my inbox (the McMaster inbox).

Does anyone else have this issue? How do I fix it? This shit needs an overhaul, btw.
ooo you can get the email to go to both your mac and hotmail? didn't know that i thought it was only one that you choose
I only selected hotmail so i dont receive any mail to the mac one
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:52 PM   #3
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
ooo you can get the email to go to both your mac and hotmail? didn't know that i thought it was only one that you choose
Yup. You can choose for them to go to both. But for some reason only half of them are actually in my mcmaster inbox... but all of them get forwarded to my hotmail without any problems.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:52 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
No, in the "Rules" you can forward e-mails and keep a copy in your inbox.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:57 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No, in the "Rules" you can forward e-mails and keep a copy in your inbox.
didn't know about the "Rules" until now, thanks
all I had set up was on mugsi I just selected my alternate email so all my mail would go to my hotmail not my mac
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:59 PM   #6
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Yup. You can choose for them to go to both. But for some reason only half of them are actually in my mcmaster inbox... but all of them get forwarded to my hotmail without any problems.
If in MUGSI you have your primary email address as your Hotmail, then anything sent to ****@mcmaster.ca will go straight to your Hotmail, but not to your MUSS. This could explain the extra emails that are only in your Hotmail.

In summary:
1.) emails to ****@cis.muss.mcmaste r.ca will appear in both MUSS and Hotmail.
2.) emails to ****@mcmaster.ca will appear only in Hotmail.

(Someone else explained this to me in a post here, and I sent a bunch of test emails and this is how it seems to work.)
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:01 PM   #7
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherk View Post
If in MUGSI you have your primary email address as your Hotmail, then anything sent to [email protected] will go straight to your Hotmail, but not to your MUSS. This could explain the extra emails that are only in your Hotmail.

In summary:
1.) emails to [email protected] .ca will appear in both MUSS and Hotmail.
2.) emails to [email protected] will appear only in Hotmail.

(Someone else explained this to me in a post here, and I sent a bunch of test emails and this is how it seems to work.)
So how do I fix this so that I have my [email protected] emails appear in both my hotmail and MUSS?
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:03 PM   #8
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Set your primary email on MUGSI as ****@muss.cis.mcmaste r.ca

It's all a pretty clunky system, IMO. I have my primary email on MUGSI as my gmail, and all of my MUSS emails forwarded there too, without saving copies, so I will only ever have to check gmail.
Old 08-29-2010 at 08:14 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

I've had the same problem too. I forward all my MUSS emails to my Gmail. I get all the emails to my Gmail account, but not all of them are sent to my MUSS inbox. I don't have anything different set up in MUGSI. The only way I forwarded my emails is by using the "Rules" in MUSS. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

I don't really have any advice, just letting you know that it's happening to other people as well.
Old 08-29-2010 at 10:56 PM   #10
IbrahimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I've had the same problem too. I forward all my MUSS emails to my Gmail. I get all the emails to my Gmail account, but not all of them are sent to my MUSS inbox. I don't have anything different set up in MUGSI. The only way I forwarded my emails is by using the "Rules" in MUSS. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

I don't really have any advice, just letting you know that it's happening to other people as well.
I'm really not pleased about this :( It's making things a bit harder and unorganized for me. Today I woke up to find that all the e-mails in my McMaster inbox have magically disappeared... and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me because I don't even know how to delete e-mails on MUSS.
Old 08-29-2010 at 11:57 PM   #11
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times

Ah, I haven't experienced missing emails...that would be a nightmare especially around this time as I am sometimes waiting to hear from profs/about courses.

Personally I forward my messages to my Gmail account but when I reply I sometimes forget to switch it to my MUSS account and email from my gmail...and then the emails bounce back BAH
Old 08-30-2010 at 01:00 AM   #12
IbrahimH

Ok so after a bit of experimenting with sending e-mails to my MUSS email, I discovered that emails being sent to *****@mcmaster.ca are not being received by either my hotmail account or MUSS. While emails being sent to *****@muss.cis.mcmast er.ca are being received by both MUSS and hotmail. Weird.

How do I fix this? I really need it fixed ASAP because I'm expecting a lot of e-mails from my employer at this time of year

And is there a place I could call or contact about issues like this?
Old 08-30-2010
IbrahimH
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-30-2010 at 02:04 AM   #13
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times

Hey I looked into it and when in hotmail on the right hand side click options, then more options. Under Manage your account click Send and Receive mail from other Email Accounts. Click Add an email account. You will then be prompted to enter in the email address as well as the password.

Follow the rest of the steps it shows and it should all be fine!
Old 08-30-2010 at 10:28 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Ok so after a bit of experimenting with sending e-mails to my MUSS email, I discovered that emails being sent to *****@mcmaster.ca are not being received by either my hotmail account or MUSS. While emails being sent to *****@muss.cis.mcmast er.ca are being received by both MUSS and hotmail. Weird.

How do I fix this? I really need it fixed ASAP because I'm expecting a lot of e-mails from my employer at this time of year

And is there a place I could call or contact about issues like this?
UTS does all the tech stuff.

In MUGSI you should be able to change your primary e-mail address (My Profile). Change it to either @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca or to @hotmail.com. All e-mails sent to @mcmaster.ca will go to your primary e-mail address. All e-mails sent to @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca automatically go to your McMaster inbox.