MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-29-2011 at 01:13 PM   #1
macrow.media

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster, we need you novices!
McMaster Rowing is recruiting novices!

Looking to get fit? In need of a shock to your system? Or are you looking to stay fit and are fiending for a full body workout? Then rowing is definitely for you! A sport nothing short of exhilarating, rowing will bring out your athletic prowess and take you from slack to jacked!

It is a well known fact that rowers do more in the morning than most people do in a day. And from a physiological standpoint, rowers are some of the most well-conditioned athletes you'll find. But these experienced rowers need to have started from somewhere, and the majority of which started through the novice program! No experience is necessary! Also, aside from the physical conditioning you'll receive, you will learn the art of rowing and put your skills to the test by racing other Ontario universities.

In addition to novice recruits, we are always on the lookout for coxswains (or coxies for short). Those of a smaller build are immensely praised to fill this role. Where most people believe that coxies only sit in the boat and steer, they are in fact invaluable when it comes to this role on the team. Coxies make it possible to launch larger boats and run practice smoothly. Additionally, they coach the athletes through drills, keep their crews in order, and most important of all, bring out the best in each and everyone, especially in that last 500 meters of a race! They are the voice through the pain that keeps the athletes on their toes!

McMaster Rowing is looking to field several novice crews this year. Be sure to check out our booth at Clubsfest to sign up, and tryouts will be held on Saturday, September 10th and Sunday, September 11th between 8am and 2pm at Leander Boat Club.

Alas, check out these videos, because they will for sure to pump you up! And from the wise words of a fellow rower, "rowing will take you from slopper to proper!"

Just a note, for those of you that have seen the "ergs" (rowing machines) at the gym, the last video showcases a 250m race between a former McMaster rower (left) and a UWO rower (right), where our own Marauder beats the Mustang by one stroke. Talk about a close call!

McMaster Rowing Recruitment Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnD38K5EwF4

Mac 2x4 2011 - 250m Dash for Cash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-bDselI0I

If you can't make it to Clubsfest for any reason, and still would like more information about rowing, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] m and we will figure something out.

Ciao!

Austin J. Cameron
Media Officer, McMaster University Rowing

Last edited by macrow.media : 08-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.

chelseac likes this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 08:00 AM   #2
chelseac

Liked: 0 Times

How much commitment is rowing? How often is practises a week, competitions etc?
Old 08-30-2011 at 08:45 AM   #3
larizhou

I'm going to sign up!
Old 08-30-2011 at 11:04 AM   #4
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

im interested as well... how novice are the novices expected to be?
What sort of time commitment is it? how many times per week etc..?
Old 08-30-2011 at 03:51 PM   #5
dquest

Liked: 3 Times

i have to say, that video is quite effective for recruitment lol but i dunno if i want to row or dragon boat D:
Old 08-30-2011 at 03:58 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseac View Post
I second this question! And how do you get to Leander from Mac?
Old 08-30-2011 at 04:32 PM   #7
Sim117

Liked: 2 Times

Sounds great! I'm excited for club fest in general but, being in first year, I'm afraid I won't have enough time to truly commit.
Old 08-30-2011 at 05:20 PM   #8
lovesicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseac View Post
I would like to know as well!

Rika88 likes this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:06 PM   #9
7adri3

I want to sign up!
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:23 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

So you try-out to be a novice? Or everyone interested makes it?

omgmt likes this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 10:55 AM   #11
macrow.media

Hey guys, so time commitment would be 6 practices/week, and then races start during the last week of September for each weekend (except Thanksgiving weekend) until the end of October
And if you're worried about the time commitment while being a first year, don't worry about it. I myself (and many others) started rowing in first year as well so we all can definitely help out if there's any trouble.
Old 08-31-2011 at 03:05 PM   #12
dquest

how early in the morning are the practices?
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:48 PM   #13
macrow.media

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
im interested as well... how novice are the novices expected to be?
What sort of time commitment is it? how many times per week etc..?
By novice we mean no experience whatsoever (or at least, haven't raced in a sanctioned-regatta!)
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:50 PM   #14
macrow.media

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
I second this question! And how do you get to Leander from Mac?
Getting to Leander is pretty easy. Usually, a lot of first year novices (and even first year varsity/JV athletes) bike pool from King Street to Longwood and then down the Longwood trail right to bottom where the boat club is. It's about a 20 minute bike ride from campus, just enough to be all warmed up before practice
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:57 PM   #15
macrow.media

Hey everyone, for those who want to SEE what rowing is all about before signing up at Clubsfest, please feel free to observe some of our practice sessions at the boat club this week and next, which run at 5:45am and 8am. You can get good a feel for what our sport is all about and talk to our team and coaches.