MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About Oscar jeong02 Volunteering Opportunities 3 08-23-2010 04:33 PM
need help with OSCAR Imtiaz Volunteering Opportunities 30 08-09-2010 07:35 AM
Oscar mduchnik Volunteering Opportunities 5 08-01-2010 08:02 PM
Oscar Holly General Discussion 3 08-30-2008 12:43 PM
Oscar Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-29-2008 04:47 PM

Oscar plus need help?

Old 03-22-2011 at 11:23 PM   #1
pirates01

Liked: 8 Times

Oscar plus need help?
So im trying to upload my work study approval form on oscar plus (since it was asked on job posting to do so).
And just about everything I've tried, it turns out:"An error happened during uploading your file. Please ensure that the file name and file format are supported and the size doesn't exceed size limit."
My file is in .pdf, has no spaces (WorkApprovalForm.pdf ). hell, even the directory path contains no spaces, funny characters, etc. File itself is 227kb, so it is definetly small enough.
SO WHAT ON EARTH AM I DOING WRONG?
Old 03-23-2011 at 12:14 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

What are the supported file formats?
Old 03-23-2011 at 12:21 AM   #3
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

You're not following file name instructions. Go back and see what you're suppose to name the file before you upload it.
Old 03-23-2011 at 12:27 AM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

IMPORTANT- Uploading your documents:

All files must be saved in 2007 version Word or PDF .
  • Your file cannot be larger than 1 MB
  • When uploading the Workstudy form, please highlight the form, copy the form (from MUGSI) and paste it in Word and only then save it in the proper format: workstudy_form
NOTE:
If you printScreen the Workstuy form, it will save it as an image and will not allow you to upload the file on OSCARplus.

Hopefully you've done all that. If its still not working what I did was instead of just copy/paste into word and then submitting it I used CutePDF Writer and converted it straight to .pdf from the MUGSI site. So you can try downloading CutePDF then selecting 'print' on the work study form on MUGSI and choosing the program to print it in .pdf automatically. That's worked for me without problems. Other than that I don't see why it's not allowing you to upload it.

EDIT: I don't think the filename is an issue. At least, I didn't name mine workstudy_form and it still accepted it.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 03-23-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2011 at 01:14 AM   #5
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I named mine "workstudy_form", so try renaming your file.
Old 03-24-2011 at 08:44 AM   #6
oliveig

Liked: 0 Times

Having trouble uploading documents on OSCARplus?
If you are experiencing problems uploading documents on OSCARplus, come into the Student Success Centre, Gilmour Hall 110. The staff at the front desk will help you troubleshoot and solve the problem.

Remember to follow the instructions on OSCARplus

All files must be saved in 2007 version Word or PDF .

* Your file cannot be larger than 1 MB
* When uploading the Workstudy form, please highlight the form, copy the form (from MUGSI) and paste it in Word and only then save it in the proper format: workstudy_form

NOTE:
If you printScreen or scan the Workstuy form, it will save it as an image and allow you to will not upload the file on OSCARplus.

IMPORTANT - How to apply

Steps to apply for a job - Application Procedure: OSCARplus
1 - upload required documents - must be saved as joe_smith_resume
2 - Create a package
3 - Search for position
4 - Click apply button
5 - Submit the package created

Steps to apply for a job - Application Procedure: Employer Email
1 - copy the employer email address
2 - paste the employer email address on the "To": field of your email provider
3 - attach the required documents
4 - NOTE: This process will be done outside of OSCARplus.
Old 03-24-2011 at 02:47 PM   #7
CoolKid123

I am having the EXACT same problem!! I made sure the file format and size were fine: and all I get is: An error happened during uploading your file. Please ensure that the file name and file format are supported and the size doesn't exceed size limit.

I need to upload my stuff on oscar plus ASAP before the deadline passes. HELP ME PLEASE
Old 03-24-2011 at 04:02 PM   #8
john32443

upload it as a .doc or .docx, then it would work, I had the same problem, but watch out it will screw up your formatting though
Old 03-24-2011 at 04:18 PM   #9
oliveig

uploading files on OSCARplus
If you are trying to upload the workstudy form, you HAVE to highlight and copy the form from MuGSI to a word document. You cannot printScreen the form or Scan the form.

If you continue to experience problems, please come into the Student Success Services, GH 110
Old 03-26-2011 at 10:33 AM   #10
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

This website is another EPIC fail by McMaster University. These are the problems I am having with it:

- It logs you out ever few minutes even if you are browsing the website.

- I am using the following file name convention and it keeps saying an error has occurred (nameResume.pdf for both the file name on the website and file I am uploading). File size is way less than 1Mb (169Kb)

-Every time I open the job information page in a new tab it refreshes the job search page

-To be on the safe side I used Internet Explorer and not Google Chrome or Firefox.

Last edited by jajas : 03-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2011 at 03:11 PM   #11
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
This website is another EPIC fail by McMaster University. These are the problems I am having with it:

- It logs you out ever few minutes even if you are browsing the website.

- I am using the following file name convention and it keeps saying an error has occurred (nameResume.pdf for both the file name on the website and file I am uploading). File size is way less than 1Mb (169Kb)

-Every time I open the job information page in a new tab it refreshes the job search page

-To be on the safe side I used Internet Explorer and not Google Chrome or Firefox.
i agree, i cant seem to load a pdf file even though its less then 1 mb and properly named. Also the automatic logout is very frustrating.
Old 03-27-2011 at 03:56 PM   #12
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

Been having the same Problem
What I've done is saved the file as a .doc or docx
For the file name put yourname_Resume
When you type it in on Oscar plus you put yourname_Resume.doc or .docx

For example
Name of file Roderick_Resume
In Oscar Plus Roderick_Resume.doc

I believe it'll convert it to pdf for you
I know its a pain to figure out

jajas says thanks to Ace0fSpades for this post.
Old 03-27-2011 at 06:03 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I had the same problem with the approval form. It only worked when I uploaded it from another computer. Like AceofSpades said, don't just name your file "My_Resume". Name it "My_Resume.doc". That seems to work for me.

I'm wondering why they chose to implement this new system at the exact same time as McWork jobs, which is when I assume Oscar is the busiest..? I would think they would start it up during a non-busy time, to iron out the kinks and stuff.

I agree about the automatic logout. I find that strange, especially since people usually spend more than 5 or 10 minutes on Oscar. And the naming of files is weird too. I've never heard of an uploader that couldn't recognize spaces or dashes.
Old 03-27-2011 at 06:51 PM   #14
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

I agree, the automatic logout is really annoying.
For the work form, I printscreened it into paint, crop whatever you need and then copied it into word. You shouldn't have a problem uploading it.