MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:13 PM   #31
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Technically you can get bulky on any workout program. Size is a matter of your diet. Sure P90x isn't the best program to get big on because of it's cardio intensive nature, but enough calories, and you will get bulked up. Bulking is just a matter of eating 500 calories on top of your daily recommended value, and losing weight is eating 500 calories less, combined with cardio.

You can use this calculator to calculate your daily caloric needs: https://www.muscleandstrength .com/...alculator.html
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:22 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunizoon View Post
Technically you can get bulky on any workout program. Size is a matter of your diet. Sure P90x isn't the best program to get big on because of it's cardio intensive nature, but enough calories, and you will get bulked up. Bulking is just a matter of eating 500 calories on top of your daily recommended value, and losing weight is eating 500 calories less, combined with cardio.

You can use this calculator to calculate your daily caloric needs: https://www.muscleandstrength .com/...alculator.html
I hate BMR calculators like these. They are so general, it only relies on age, weight and height and nothing on muscle to fat ratio, genes and what not. I calculated my calories to be close to 3000 for the couple of months I was trying to gain weight but clearly I didn't get anything, maybe a pound. But for 2 months that's ridiculous. Especially when my animal physiology lab told me I required 2500 calories and this calculator says I need 2300 calories.
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:24 PM   #33
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I hate BMR calculators like these. They are so general, it only relies on age, weight and height and nothing on muscle to fat ratio, genes and what not. I calculated my calories to be close to 3000 for the couple of months I was trying to gain weight but clearly I didn't get anything, maybe a pound. But for 2 months that's ridiculous. Especially when my animal physiology lab told me I required 2500 calories and this calculator says I need 2300 calories.
Yea that's true, but it gives you a basis to go on. It's helped me adjust my diet accordingly to suit my needs.
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:28 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yea that's true, but it gives you a basis to go on. It's helped me adjust my diet accordingly to suit my needs.
Yeah, but it definitively needs to be adjusted. If you feel hot all the time and sweat easily then you probably have to bump up the number. If you are cold all the time then you'd have to bump down the number. The thing is you don't know by how much. It takes a lot of time to see results and to adjust your diet accordingly.

The hot and cold thing is relative to other people.
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:32 PM   #35
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Yeah, but it definitively needs to be adjusted. If you feel hot all the time and sweat easily then you probably have to bump up the number. If you are cold all the time then you'd have to bump down the number. The thing is you don't know by how much. It takes a lot of time to see results and to adjust your diet accordingly.

The hot and cold thing is relative to other people.
Yea it does take a bit of time, but it's probably shorter than it would be if you had no basis to start off of. Unless you pay to go see a nutrionist, but even then, they use a similar method of using calculations that are generalized, but I would say it'd be more accurate.

Either way, you won't get results without the effort. I did P90x last summer, and I made no change in my diet whatsoever, other than an increase in calories, but in no way was I eating clean haha. I don't think it did all that much for my strength either.
Old 06-04-2010 at 11:56 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yea it does take a bit of time, but it's probably shorter than it would be if you had no basis to start off of. Unless you pay to go see a nutrionist, but even then, they use a similar method of using calculations that are generalized, but I would say it'd be more accurate.

Either way, you won't get results without the effort. I did P90x last summer, and I made no change in my diet whatsoever, other than an increase in calories, but in no way was I eating clean haha. I don't think it did all that much for my strength either.
How much does a nutrionist cost? You can also measure your BMR using a BMR measuring machine. I believe McMaster has one but the price is quite hefty, if I recall correctly it's like 200-300$. They also have a bunch of other machines to measure things like VO2 Max.
Old 06-05-2010 at 11:06 AM   #37
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
How much does a nutrionist cost? You can also measure your BMR using a BMR measuring machine. I believe McMaster has one but the price is quite hefty, if I recall correctly it's like 200-300$. They also have a bunch of other machines to measure things like VO2 Max.
Well it depends, at the gym I go to now, if you get an all-included membership, you can go see the nutritionist at no extra charge a few times. But the membership is upwards of almost $100/month. But I believe nutritionists in general, depending on experience and such, charge around $50 - $100/hour. Obviously, the ones that everyone knows like John Berardi cost a lot more. I don't know, personally I'd just use the BMR calculator, because nutritionists do the same, but make slight tweaks according to your body type etc. I never knew McMaster had a BMR machine...I knew we had a bf% measuring machine...the one where you sit in a pod haha.
Old 06-05-2010 at 01:00 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well it depends, at the gym I go to now, if you get an all-included membership, you can go see the nutritionist at no extra charge a few times. But the membership is upwards of almost $100/month. But I believe nutritionists in general, depending on experience and such, charge around $50 - $100/hour. Obviously, the ones that everyone knows like John Berardi cost a lot more. I don't know, personally I'd just use the BMR calculator, because nutritionists do the same, but make slight tweaks according to your body type etc. I never knew McMaster had a BMR machine...I knew we had a bf% measuring machine...the one where you sit in a pod haha.
The pod also measures your BMR, you can use this to roughly figure out how many calories you need by multiplying your BMR by a certain number depending on the activity you do.
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:51 PM   #39
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
How about you post weekly update pics so that we can track your progress from before and after the program? Just an idea.
I think this would def be helpful
Old 06-06-2010 at 10:24 AM   #40
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

P90x is not for the faint of heart. It requires dedication and consistency. It is not a beginner program. Personally I think it's as good as any other workout routine.
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:12 AM   #41
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
P90x is not for the faint of heart. It requires dedication and consistency. It is not a beginner program. Personally I think it's as good as any other workout routine.
Depends on what you want really, and what your body type is. Before I knew anything about working out, I did P90x, expecting to become jacked/ripped/shredded like the guys in the pictures, and like so many other people around the internet. But since I'm an ectomorph/mesomorph (but more towards the ecto side), I made no real gains in getting bigger...just lost a lot of weight, both muscle and fat. I also didn't eat enough calories to maintain my weight, and that played a factor. But yea, there's no denying it's a pretty solid workout program, you just have to do your research and make sure it's in line with your goals.