MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Residence Survival Part 1.5 lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 4 08-18-2007 12:40 PM

Residence Survival Part 1: What to bring

Residence Survival Guide
A MacInsiders Series
By Danielle Lorenz

*UPDATED FOR SEPTEMBER 2014*

Part One: What to Bring to Residence
The Obvious and the Obscure

At this point, everyone has now received their residence assignments, and due to this, many students are wondering what they should bring when they move into McMaster on one of the first few days of September. However, do not worry my little kidlets; I have compiled a listof 32 things for you that will answer many of your questions, as well as prepare you for the upcoming year. This list is by no means exhaustive, and not necessarily what all people would want to bring into residence. However, I either brought, or wished I brought the items I am passing on to all of you. MacInsiders has you covered!
  1. Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc)
  2. A caddy or basket (preferably with holes in the bottom) to bring your things into the shower with you
  3. Flip flops or slides for in the shower
  4. A fan (Welcome Week is usually VERY hot)
  5. If you can afford it, a portable air conditioner
  6. Kleenex: you will get sick while living in residence.
  7. Over the counter drugs, such as Immodium, Tylenol, Nyquil, Pepto-Bismal, Advil etc
  8. Any medications you take, or sometimes take (like an Epi-pen).
  9. First aid supplies (band-aids, polysporin, q-tips)
  10. Laundry soap and dryer sheets
  11. A hamper or laundry bag for dirty clothes and to transport said clothes to the washing machines in the basement
  12. You NO LONGER NEED COINS for the laundry. Laundry is not coin operated, students use a laundry card and add money to the card now. So keep those rolls of quarters at home
  13. Snack foods and drinks. Buying drinks for every meal can be expensive and run up your meal card dollars quickly. There is nowhere on campus that sells food open past midnight, so if you’re hungry at 1AM you’ve got to have some options.
  14. Healthy snacks! Milk, fruit, veggies, yogurt etc.
  15. Disposable, re-sealable containers made by companies like Glad, Ziploc and Rubbermaid to store left-overs and re-heat items
  16. A plate, bowl, cutlery set, and pot to re-heat food or make snacks like KD
  17. A Brita water filter and a Nalgene: it’s much cheaper than buying cases of bottled water, and much better for the environment
  18. Two sets of bed sheets: you should wash them once a week, so if you have two sets you don’t have to wash them every week!
  19. Two towels: again, so you don’t need to wash one every week.
  20. Stuff to clean your room: paper towel, Windex, Lysol etc. You can borrow vacuums from the service desks, so there is no need to bring one.
  21. A shoe mat for wet and/or dirty shoes: Available at Dollarama! Dollarama is your new friend while in university!
  22. Slippers or shoes to wear in the building when it is wet or snowy. Shower sandals usually work well.
  23. Organizational storage: such as the storage units from IKEA. Wal-Mart sells similar items, and often at cheaper prices.
  24. School supplies: binders, notebooks, pens, pencils, hi-lighters, white-out, the McMaster approved calculator, etc. You actually do need them, and will do work this year, contrary to high school.
  25. Mementos from home: photos, stuffed animals, notes, art.
  26. A plant! Cactuses, bamboo and aloe typically do well.
  27. Back-up software for your computer. You never know what may happen.
  28. A camera to take pictures with
  29. A lock for using the lockers at the gym
  30. A bathing suit to go swimming during the free swims at the pool and/or to play innertube water polo
  31. Ear plugs. Some people have room mates who talk in their sleep or snore. Other students find ear plugs helpful when studying to block out noise.
I think I have more or less everything possible covered…

NOTE: LEAVE YOUR MINI FRIDGE AT HOME. Students must rent fridges through Coldex. If you choose to have a fridge you are NOT ALLOWED to bring your own or rent elsewhere. Click here to read all about the policy.

More Residence Survival Guide articles to come in this MacInsiders exclusive series! Be sure to join MacInsiders to keep up to date with new articles, news, events, and more campus life at Mac!

MORE HELP FOR STUDENTS IN RES:

aziz917, Biochem47, DMe3, purple123, resh.jyoti, R_21, ~*Sara*~, shawarama, xxsumz all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-01-2007 at 01:27 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
why the simpsons chad?

you're a crazy goober.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-01-2007 at 03:09 PM   #3
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team
Program: Medical Physics & Applied Radiation Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 24 Times
McMaster approved calculator?!
Old 08-01-2007 at 04:17 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

yup. for science and math classes there is only one calculator you can use during tests and exams. it's available in titles. it's the Casio FX 991, from what I got from a Math 1A03 website (http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/1a3/ex/faqs.html).

Old 08-01-2007 at 05:23 PM   #5
zuberi
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Year: First
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 0 Times
Since it says the obvious, you shouldve put in
a laptop or a personal computer ahha
with a DOH! at the end..
ah homer
Old 08-01-2007 at 05:52 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

yeah, i'm still not sure why chad put that picture up...

and i suppose i should have put up some sort of computer. although, there was somone who lived in my res in first year that didn't have one.
Old 08-01-2007 at 06:55 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
the pic is from a simpsons episode for "Survival Of The Fattest". lol
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:46 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

are you calling me fat?

do these pants make my butt look big?
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:48 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
*no comment*
Old 08-02-2007 at 10:17 AM   #10
nuttynatz
Faculty: Science

Liked: 2 Times
A caddy or basket (preferably with holes in the bottom) to bring your things into the shower with you

Umm...what are these baskets with holes in them? i dont think ive ever seen them...i'm just thinking of lyk straw/wicker baskets like the one Little Red Riding Hood carried (thts not it right?) :S
Old 08-02-2007 at 11:34 AM   #11
surena
Faculty: Other
Year: Second

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg

SO handy.
Old 08-02-2007 at 11:39 AM   #12
nuttynatz
Faculty: Science

Liked: 2 Times
ooooh i seee...thanks.
where could you buy smthn lyk tht?
Old 08-02-2007 at 11:47 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks for the link surena!

Grocery stores, Dollarama, Ikea, Canadian Tire etc
Old 08-02-2007 at 02:01 PM   #14
jessie<3
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Third

like a plastic basket.... similar to like ones u use at a grocery store, but obvousily smaller... u can get them at like linnens n things or home outfitters, or probably even dollarama
metal baskets work too.... but like i woldnt put it in the shower with u cause it might rust or something... lol

Last edited by jessie<3 : 08-02-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2007 at 02:06 PM   #15
jessie<3
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Third

haha k i wrote that ^ before i realized there was a page 2 of this discussion... lol

Article Tools