MacInsiders Logo

How to set up DC++

Old 08-29-2008 at 06:46 PM   #1
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

How to set up DC++
Hey everyone! I'm sure most of you going into rez for the first time are excited to use DC++! You should be! Just don't get carried away with it

I believe there's an article coming out about DC soon. However, if anyone wants to download and set up the program right now, I will provide step-by-step instructions to do so. Remember, you won't be able to use the MAC hub until you are using a direct line at MAC and until it has been set up. For now, you can be ready for it, and browse around to get a feel for it. Please check out the forum thread DC++ HERE for more information.

INSTRUCTIONS

Download it HERE

Open the program (you'll probably want to make a shortcut for it on your desktop so you don't have to always search for it)

Under FILE>Settings go to the Personal Information tab and enter a nickname (if it is already taken when you get to MAC, you'll have to change it.

Still in Settings, go to the Downloads tab and Choose a download and unfinished download directory so you will know where your stuff downloaded. I would also suggest your limits be set to 0 to download unlimited items at the same time. If you're computer starts to slow down, don't download as much at once.

Still in Settings, go to the Sharing tab. This is the most important one. Click Add Folder. Browse through stuff in your computer and choose things which you would like other people to be able to download from you. Usually at MAC, there is around a 500mb limit, so you need to be sharing at least 500mb worth of files. You can change # of Upload slots if you'd like more or less people to be able to upload stuff from you.

Press OK and leave the Settings window.

Click the yellow star at the top. Click the NEW button in the middle of the screen. Add a nickname for the name like "MAC". Then type in the address: machub.dyndns.org
Press OK
Make sure that the box beside "MAC" is checked.
What this does, is connects you to the McMaster hub every time you open DC so you don't have to connect manually every time.
***The address might not be machub.dyndns.org this year, if it changes, change the address.

Press the normal Magnifying button at the top to search for files and double click a file for it to download!

Hope that will help you with the basics.

adamg6, crazyfree, Danish M, dkjack, jhan523, kenvin100, MacEng, nila*, randomness, rikin25, wfujarczuk all say thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-29-2008 at 11:36 PM   #2
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

DC++ is up and running...it has a couple movies\songs on right now, and the address is still machub.dyndns.org!

Danish M says thanks to bauhaual for this post.
Old 08-29-2008 at 11:38 PM   #3
mitch
Elite Member

Awesome! I will add my 30 gb worth when I get in on Monday!
Old 08-30-2008 at 02:28 AM   #4
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Hey thanks Mitch
Old 08-30-2008 at 05:37 PM   #5
Enders_Game

Nevermind ^^ Thx a lot

Last edited by Enders_Game : 08-30-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2008 at 05:40 PM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

make sure their is no spaces in the adress, (in front or after the address)
Old 08-30-2008 at 06:43 PM   #7
mitch
Elite Member

Make sure you did what Thedog said as well as making sure you are using a direct wired connection at McMaster.
Old 08-30-2008 at 07:39 PM   #8
thatdudeukno

For those on a mac/macbook, use shakespeer. Just follow the same instructions Mitch posted.
Download Link: http://shakespeer.googlecode .com/f...eer-0.9.10.dmg
Old 08-30-2008 at 10:19 PM   #9
cammo_18

Liked: Liked 2 Times

hey, I was wondering if there was a bandwith traffic limit per day/per month that mac restricts for dc++ because I know rogers/bell give you 60GB/month of traffic.
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:19 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

DC++ is LAN traffic. It is not internet traffic so it is not using up anyones bandwidth.

McMaster has it's own internet lines, I'm sure they don't get it from Rogers/Bell. McMaster has 2GB/day Limit for Internet bandwidth for students on residence. As mentioned in my first line, DC++ is LAN traffic, so use up any amount you want.

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 08-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:31 PM   #11
Ruggedman

I went on the link, clicked download now then it asks me:

DC++ Stable Package
DC++ Unstable Packag

which one do i choose, and when i click on either, it gives me 3 options:

DCPlusPlus-0.708.zip
DCPlusPlus-0.708-src.zip
DCPlusPlus-0.708.exe

Which link do i click on
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:42 PM   #12
mitch
Elite Member

Stable package.

All 3 choices are the same things in different formats. Just download the exe file for conveniance.
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:52 PM   #13
Ruggedman

Mitch, in your previous post about how to set up DC++, you said we need to pick a folder and be able to upload atleast 500mb per day.

I dont have any files or folders to share, i mean i have 0 songs, 0 pictures, 0 videos, do i need to be able to share files to use DC++ or can i just download from others??
Old 08-31-2008 at 12:01 AM   #14
Ruggedman

Also, i follwed everything you said but sitll cant searhc anything :S
Old 08-31-2008 at 01:29 AM   #15
mitch
Elite Member

Hey Ruggedman,

You can choose to share anything you want from your computer. It doesn't have to be songs or videos. Some people just choose to share Microsoft office or some random programs to make the 500mb cut off.

Are you able to connect to the mac hub? Do you see all of the people on right and the message that you've connected in the middle? If not, you either have entered the address wrong or have not shared enough. If you have connected, click the magnifying button at the top. Type something generic you want to search for into the search box to see if it's working. Like "Seinfeld". Make sure that it's set to videos in the drop down box below. Make sure to press enter to search, and NOT to press "purge".

If it still doesn't work, ask around. I can't help if I can't see what's wrong. If you want, you can press print screen and copy a picture of your DC here. Or you could wait until Monday and I could show you how to do it in person!