MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Program Fair Zeehan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-25-2010 03:06 PM
When do we pick our level II program? Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-05-2010 10:20 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Switching to nursing program sanahsameen Academics 1 01-28-2009 02:10 PM
Applying to Level II program sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2008 09:54 AM

Switching Level I Program

Old 06-23-2008 at 08:28 PM   #1
jag6232

Liked: 0 Times

Switching Level I Program
So I was accepted into the Social Sciences Level I program for 2008/2009. However, stupidly I didn't look into the program enough to see that I have to take 12 units of classes from the Faculty of Social Science. I actually only want to take 6 units, enough to get me into Poli. Sci. for second year, and every other class I want is in the Faculty of Humanities. Is there a way I can transfer into Humanities I so I don't have to take 6 more units of Social Sciences, or am I pretty much stuck now?
Old 06-23-2008 at 10:38 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you're planning on ONLY majoring in Poli Sci then I believe yes, you have to take the 12 units. However, if you are planning on majoring in a Humanities discipline, I don't think you will have to.

Your best bet is to talk to a faculty advisor though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2008 at 10:59 PM   #3
jag6232

What if I do a double major? I was thinking that if I liked Peace Studies then I would combine the two... so would that make me eligible to do the switch?
I'm mostly just confused about whether or not it matters? To get into Poli. Sci. level 2, all I need is to complete Level 1 with POL SCI 1G06. So I don't understand why I couldn't just complete the requirements for Humanities 1 and then apply to Level 2 Pol. Sci. 1G06?
Old 06-24-2008 at 06:23 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you're doing a double major it would be different because you would need to fulfil the entry programs to level II for both programs: ie (most likely; I don't have a course calendar infront of me) 6 units of each discipline, and the remainder electives.

I think the reason why you're supposed to take that amount of courses is so you're prepared for taking Soc Sci courses, which do vary slightly to Humanities courses.

And it's possible that you may hate the courses you're taking now, and not want to major in them at all.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2008 at 11:27 AM   #5
jag6232

So basically they want us to take 12 units of Social Sciences so that if we don't like our first choice, we might have enough credits to major in somethin else within the same Faculty... ok... that makes sense. I guess I can try and squeeze in something like Labour Studies if I have to... Thanks for the help. By the way, would I just talk to a Humanities Faculty advisor to see if I could switch from Social Sciences 1 to Humanities 1, or do I talk to a Social Sciences Faculty advisor?
Old 06-24-2008 at 03:51 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You can't switch until you pick your major in your second year. The acceptance period is now closed, so that means your acceptance is final for the year.

Old 06-24-2008 at 06:48 PM   #7
jag6232

What are the academic consequences then if I don't select 12 units of Social Sciences when I register for my classes?
Old 06-24-2008 at 08:41 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Noo idea. The school can't kick you out or anything, if you're worried about that though.

Old 06-24-2008 at 09:05 PM   #9
jag6232

Well I was thinking more along the lines of I wouldn't be able to move onto Level II because I didn't complete MY level I program. Even though I did technically complete a level I program. Although there must be students who change their Level I program mid-year. For example someone in Engineering who wants to switch to regular Science wouldn't have to continue taking the same courses... right? They would just take the classes needed for their Level II program...
Old 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

To get into Level II all you need is 30 units (Engineers excepted) and the neccessary courses for your desired program.

You can always ask your faculty!

Old 06-24-2008 at 10:11 PM   #11
jag6232

I will definitely do that. But you've really been a big help. I'm just a little frustrated at the system... you know? It's not that there's nothing from the Social Sciences I would take besides POL SCI 1G06, it's that I'm really trying to fit a lot of interests from the Humanities in and if I can avoid taking those "extra" 6 units of Social Science I want to. I'm just too indecisive to know what to take. I'm overwhelemed with just how options and interests I have.
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:15 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I missed out on some courses too...but took them later so it was fine in the end! You can take up to 48 units of first year classes (so six courses after first year), so you can always go back and take those courses as electives later on if you'd like.

Old 06-24-2008 at 10:33 PM   #13
jag6232

I'm one of those "I won't miss it if I don't know what I'm missing people." So when I finally make some decisions I'll just move on with it. Lol... I've just overthought this.