MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-01-2011 at 09:36 PM   #16
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Your fear of deep water is perfectly normal, and exceedingly common. I've dealt with toddlers, grown men (one of whom broke into tears the first class), and even seniors who were terrified of the deep end, so I doubt you'll be the only one there who is afraid of the deep water. Don't feel bad about it at all. I would have posted about that too, but my bit on getting your face wet was already pretty long and noone reads my posts when they hit 'wall-of-text' status.

After conquering the fear of getting wet, swimmers of all ages have to deal with the fear of swimming where they cannot touch. People I have dealt with generally overcome this fear after they are comfortable with the fact that it doesn't matter how much water is beneath you as long as you can float. I.E. they could float well and were okay swimmers.

Now I'll explain why it's important to be comfortable with getting your face wet before learning to float and swim. Since you walk in a forward direction, and like to see where you are going, most people find swimming on your front more comfortable (and it is more efficient). however if you try to swim with your head out of the water looking forward while on your front it bends your spine causes your lower body to sink (you an try this laying down on your stomach on your bed if you like, you can really feel the difference it makes). Because of this you will either get tired very rapidly or end up vertical (which will just be standing in the shallow at your lessons) Putting your face in the water keeps your spine straight and you float.
that totally makes sense
and i would have read it either way

can i just pay you for lessons? lol
you seem like you know what you're talking about
Old 01-01-2011 at 09:49 PM   #17
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
that totally makes sense
and i would have read it either way

can i just pay you for lessons? lol
you seem like you know what you're talking about
Just about every lifeguard knows what they are doing. It's ridiculous how much you need to become qualified as a lifeguard. To teach lessons you need current certifications in First Aid with CPR-C, Lifeguard-Pool, and Aquatics Safety instructor. Also I imagine all the lifeguards at the MAC pool worked as lifeguards in their respective hometowns before coming here and thus have years of experience. Besides, it'd be a lot more expensive to pay me as even at minimum the same amount of lesson time you get from the course would be $75, and to be honest it really be closer to $115 if I charged the same wage I got back home.

And while I'm not too familiar with the red cross adult lessons as I worked at the YMCA, which has it's own system of lessons, so I can't guarantee anything about the course I still suggest trying the class out and see if you like it.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 01-01-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2011 at 11:48 PM   #18
macbaby07
Elite Member

holy cow that's expensive
yea u normally get charged $78 if ur a community member
but since im a mac student its only $54
and with my bad knees once i learn how to swim i dont have to pay for pulse fees
not like im allowed to do anything that's in the pulse
being a cripple sucks
Old 01-02-2011 at 12:53 AM   #19
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Just about every lifeguard knows what they are doing. It's ridiculous how much you need to become qualified as a lifeguard. To teach lessons you need current certifications in First Aid with CPR-C, Lifeguard-Pool, and Aquatics Safety instructor. Also I imagine all the lifeguards at the MAC pool worked as lifeguards in their respective hometowns before coming here and thus have years of experience. Besides, it'd be a lot more expensive to pay me as even at minimum the same amount of lesson time you get from the course would be $75, and to be honest it really be closer to $115 if I charged the same wage I got back home.

And while I'm not too familiar with the red cross adult lessons as I worked at the YMCA, which has it's own system of lessons, so I can't guarantee anything about the course I still suggest trying the class out and see if you like it.

oh hey since ur a swimming genius
do i need goggles for beginners lessons? or will i be fine without?
Old 01-02-2011 at 12:55 AM   #20
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
pool's closed
How dare you beat me to it?

Old 01-02-2011 at 01:22 AM   #21
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

gg     
Old 01-02-2011 at 01:23 AM   #22
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
gg     
diaf

/12charmander

Old 01-02-2011 at 01:30 AM   #23
Mazer

tl;dr      
Old 01-02-2011 at 01:32 AM   #24
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
tl;dr      

Old 01-02-2011 at 02:31 AM   #25
jh890

Liked: 0 Times

hahah ok... so back to my question... I was thinking at the MAC pool since it's free (I think). It's either that or running on the track since I don't have a pulse membership but am still a MAC student.
So does anyone know if I could wear a tee in the lanes at the MAC pools?

thanks!!! =)
Old 01-02-2011 at 04:52 PM   #26
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Go to David Braley and ask at the reception desk. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.
Old 01-02-2011 at 05:09 PM   #27
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
oh hey since ur a swimming genius
do i need goggles for beginners lessons? or will i be fine without?
Goggles are never necessary, but the majority of people prefer them. They are rather cheap so why not grab a pair?
Old 01-02-2011 at 05:13 PM   #28
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

for swimming lengths, goggles are a good idea. but if you are not swimming lengths then i advise against it. its better to learn without them then get dependant on them and have to wear them everytime you go in the pool.
Old 01-04-2011 at 06:34 PM   #29
Mazer

Quote:
Goggles are never necessary, but the majority of people prefer them. They are rather cheap so why not grab a pair?
ze goggles do nothing!
Old 01-06-2011 at 04:15 PM   #30
macbaby07
Elite Member

i went swimming yesterday
AMAAAZING
my friend taught me some basics
and i did a lap
cant wait for lessons to start

REPLEKIA/. likes this.