MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
course selection recommandation (3rd year econ class) chinadian Academics 1 06-04-2010 01:27 PM
course selection recommandation (3rd year econ class) chinadian Academics 0 06-03-2010 09:00 PM
1st Year Law Class? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2009 02:58 PM

Third year class taught by a PhD student ?

Old 09-09-2010 at 05:47 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Third year class taught by a PhD student ?
Has anyone ever come across this before? Today I found out that one of my third year classes is being taught by a PhD student. She said she is also teaching another third year class.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this before, because I've never heard of it before today.
Old 09-09-2010 at 05:52 PM   #2
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

one of my profs only has his masters and this is a third yr engineering class
Old 09-09-2010 at 05:52 PM   #3
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

Yeah, I've had classes taught by teachers with only a Masters Degree (lol *only*).
Old 09-09-2010 at 06:06 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I had a second year software engineering class taught by a U of T PhD student. He was kinda old though, so it wasn't that weird.
Old 09-09-2010 at 06:28 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Welcome to McMaster.
Old 09-09-2010 at 06:36 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
Welcome to McMaster.
This is my fifth year

I'm just kind of bothered because my faculty let go of 2 professors at the end of last year. I liked being taught by people with years of experience and knowledge. This instructor said "I'll be learning most of the information as I teach it to you!" I feel like she doesn't know much more about the subject than I do... :/
Old 09-09-2010 at 06:45 PM   #7
paulelastic

Liked: 2 Times

I wouldn't just discount profs who just have a Master's. They often come from industry and are able to give you a perspective that most profs with Ph.D.s (who have not worked in industry) cannot. I know a few sessional lecturers in engineering whose experience and technical know-how is vastly superior to that of many profs. (they just don't do academic research)

I would say let experience be your guide. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Old 09-09-2010 at 07:27 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

I'm definately not judging her for not having a PhD. I'm just kind of turned off because she told us she doesn't have experience in the class she's teaching and she's learning it as she teaches it, which seems odd.
As for only having a Masters, I just thought it was strange because I had never come across it in 5 years of university.
Old 09-09-2010 at 08:09 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I was taught 5 classes buy a prof with a MA who is still teaching at Mac starting his PhD as of this month.

Its not that odd anymore, since its getting harder and harder to get more than a contract position in academia.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement