MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 World Cup thread! Rakim Athletics & Recreation 234 07-12-2010 09:39 AM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/11 course timetable dede90 Academics 9 06-09-2010 07:40 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM

Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010

Old 08-11-2010 at 04:13 PM   #151
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlepiece View Post
I'm soon to be going into my first year in the Arts and Science program. Even though I dont have that much flexibility in my schedule, I was wondering if people had any advice.

Is Goward a better chemistry teacher than Landry? Those are my only 2 options for chemistry. The Landry class is at 5:30 3 times a week, directly after my calculus class. The Goward class would be in the middle of my current 3 hour breaks, and would be Friday at 4:30. Neither time slot is ideal.

As well, are very heavy Mondays death wishes? I was thinking of moving my calculus lab to Monday in order to have all of Thursday to work until 4:30, but I'm wondering if a heavy Monday means no life on weekends...

Is having a tutorial the hour before the actual class useless, or useful?

And what are the green horizontal stripes through a block?

ANY help would be appreciated!
Ok, so I wanna help you but for some reason I can't open the document :'( nevertheless I'll do what I can with your description.

Landry is HORRIBLE. He rushes through stuff. I had him and went to Hatala's classes - he's the best btw. I couldnt go to ALL his classes, because of the iClicker points you get during class as participation, so I had to go to Landry most of the time. I understood nothing, paid like $300 in tutoring fees, and still failed horribly before I dropped it. Get Goward, he CANNOT be worse.

Heavy mondays are killers for me. I just wanna stab myself in the eye, lol, but if it's work (like, a job) then do it. If NOT, I suggest not. Tutorials just deal with material from the week before, so it really makes no difference unless you dont want class for x hours in a row.

HINT: Most labs have the lab report due the day after, or in a week, the day before your actual lab or during the lab the next week. Knowing this, I try to schedule it so I have the weekend to work on it, but you might want your weekends free, so think about it .

The green stripes? Does it say EOW (every other week)? IF so that means that chem labs are every other week and your tut is the weeks you DONT have the lab. If not, look at it in IE, it might just be a browser thing. If not, i have no idea, sorry!

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:14 PM   #152
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hi Ghia!

1) You have a lot of conflicts! Try changing the tutorials around so that nothing conflicts, for now. If that doesnt fix it, and your cores still conflict, and you cant change those, and it's REQUIRED, contact the department that offers that course (thru mac's website, you should find a staff list with someone marked 'advisor' on it) and they will help you. Unfortuately, if it is an elective, they probably will not help, but you can try.

2) Your gaps between classes is pretty ok. A LOT of 1hour breaks is annoying - you cant go back to home/rez and you cant get enough work done. One or two is alright between long hours of classes for just a break. I prefer more of a high-school, blocked schedule but you might like log breaks in between.

3) I would definately change your term 2 tuesdays. You will def be wiped out by the end - I call days like these Knockout Days - just getting up and knowing it's that day makes you wanna go back to bed. Change your french tutorial, if possible, to another day so you have term 1 tuesday off, and then change that geo lab to another day, preferrably to that giant break on wednesday you have or something on thursday. Believe me, if youre commuting and you only have one class on that day, you might not go if the commute is long

Hope that helps!
OMG that is so weird, i thought it didnt post, and REDID it, and then here it is
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:28 PM   #153
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmSm View Post
Thank you for your quick response and help

I attached my timetable. I don't know what is going on. I found a lot of abbreviations that I don't understand.

what do you think about my schedule and do I need to change anything?

Thank you
Hi!

So EOW means 'Every other week', so you wont have that class every week, and you might have a tutorial the week you dont have the lab? That happens with chemistry, but I'm not sure about Com eng.

Dude, you have 7 hours of class straight on tuesday :| I would seriously move your tutorials to thursday, if you can.

Gaps between classes are really to your own preference. Generally most people find that block of class are better, because 1hour breaks are annoying as you can't go to rez/home, and you cant get a lot of work done. Big breaks are better, if you have to have them. And always make sure you have a break for lunch, or you'll be distracted in class by your hunger

The abbreviations are mostly course names, tutorials cores labs, and the location it's in. You can use the McMaster campus map to determine where the course is, and what the abbreviation is. Check out the attached pic for a breakdown of the abbreviations.

Hope the helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbreviation.jpg (10.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:14 PM   #154
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
So I just finished my mock timetable, and I was wondering if anyone would have a chance to look at it! It's for first year Computer Science Co-Op!

Thanks in advance!
Hi!
You timetable seems fine for the most part. The only thing you should watch out for are 8:30 classes (I dipped most of the time and slept in, and I'm not that kind of person, lol) and random gaps between classes. I'm the kind of person that likes a high-school schedule, with little to only one break per day. The one-hour breaks are generally useless unless it's for lunch - you can't get any work done and it's too short to go back home/to rez. Bigger breaks are better - you can get some work done, and to me the only way 1hour breaks are useful is breaking up 4 hours of class or something...

Hope that helps!

Patrick.O says thanks to resh.jyoti for this post.

Patrick.O likes this.
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:21 PM   #155
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagankathry View Post
Ohh french, how i love and hate you at the same time. hahah!
Second term is going to be a breeze though!
Hey
Your term 1 looks ok, even though you might have to eat lunch at random times... Term 2 though, try to get rid of those breaks, especially the shorter 1hour ones - theyre basically useless because you can't go back home/to rez and you can't get a lot of work done.
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:30 PM   #156
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoi92 View Post
Can someone please give me some feedback on my timetable?
And I know that we can change the schedule a little, but how and when?
First semester is the busier one.
Thanks!
Hi,
This is kinda really small :| I can't see what if they are cores, labs, tutorials or what they are even, but I'll give it my best shot.

Term 1: You've gotta change thursday. You'll die of exhaustion, and I'll bet that by the time you get to the night course, you'll have the memory and attention span of a goldfish :( It's really exhausting when you have 8 hours of class in one day, no matter how many breaks there are. Also, the 1 hour breaks are pretty useless - you dont have enough usable time to go back home/to rez and fool around or just do work. So try to minimize those.
Term 2 looks ok, but it's really your preference on whether you like big breaks or not. Personally I like all the classes to be done with and then I'll do my work, lol.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:40 PM   #157
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
These are my timetables so far, feedback please and thanks!
Everything looks ok, there's just a couple of general hints to keep in mind:
1) 1-hour breaks suck. You cant do any work and you can't really go anywhere, the only thing they're good for is lunch, and breaking up huge unavoidable blocks of classes.
2) Always have a break for lunch, or your stomach will be sorry.
3) If you have more than 3 hours of class in a row, try to add a break or your attention span will die a horrible death very quickly.
4) Before labs and long tutorials, it's good to have a break. That way, you can finish-up/print your pre-labs and lab reports or tutorial assignments/questions.
5) It's really your own preference whether or not you want large breaks in-between classes (to get work done or go somewhere) or whether you want a high-school, blocked class, 1 break type of schedule. That being said, go with whichever you want and modify your schedule.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:50 PM   #158
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
If someone would look over my timetable for me that would be great, also I want to switch from the Physics 1D03 I have now to the one taught by Kleiman on Tuesday, Thurs, Friday, at : 11:30-12:20 so if I move my chem lab to friday morning everything should your out right? (There is a chem lab at 8:30-11:20) Thanks for the help

Edit: I guess my timetable should be attached lol
Oh wow, I feel sorry for you. Your wednesdays and thursdays are days from satan himself :| Do you realize that on wednesday you'll have 8-9 hours of class in a row, excluding the Physics 1D03 core? Even if you move chem to friday, you'll still have wednesday. And if you move it to friday, you'll still have a huge block of class, because with the EOW, the next week you have a tutorial, not a free period....

Your suggestion is right, and I dont see what more you could do with a schedule like this :( Just try to make it more random or something, so you have room to move around the coruses, there's bound to be empty spots since you're in first year.

Sorry! Hope that helps
Old 08-11-2010 at 06:00 PM   #159
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya. View Post
Can someone please look over my timetable and give me some feedback?

TERM 1
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...aa23/term1.jpg

- I have only have one class on Wednesday - HTH SCI 1H06 LAB, should I move it to TUESDAY 15:30 - 17:20? Is IAHS close enough to MDCL?

TERM 2
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...aa23/term2.jpg

- I have HTH SCI 1H06 at IAHS right after PSYCH 1XX3 which is at CNH. Are the two buildings close enough for me to be able to get their in 10 mins ? Or should I switch PSYCH 1XX3 - 9:30 to 10:20?

- My Tutorial class for PSYCH 1XX3 is on Monday, but my Core class is on Wednesday. Should cores be taken first before tutorials/labs? Should I switch PSYCH 1XX3 Tutorial on Thursday? There are two tutorials available on Thursday, 15:30 - 16:20 and 11:30 - 12:20.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !
1) You can get anywhere on campus in 10 mins. You just might have to jog a little bit, but you wont need to IAHS and MDCL, I think theyre literally beside each other
2) These two are across the campus, but it's doable in 10 mins. So dont switch it - you dont have annoying 1hr breaks right now, which are basically useles waiting time, so dont do anything that would make a break unless it's like 3 hours long and youre sure you want one.
3) It doesnt matter when cores and tutorials are with respect to each other during the week because tutorials generally talk about the info from the previous week.

Hope the helps!

aya. says thanks to resh.jyoti for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 06:08 PM   #160
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

lol since you are reviewing everyone's timetable could you also check mine?
this is with all the changes made except my chem 1AA3 lab/ tutorial which i want to switch to Wednesday afternoon but it's full right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 finale.jpg (182.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2 1st change.jpg (182.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:49 PM   #161
greena27

Liked: 0 Times

how's my first semester looking?
Attached Files
File Type: xls first sem.xls (23.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:58 PM   #162
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times

Hey ppls im in first year life sci and heres my new timetable after mugsi screwed me over
please review my sem 1 please ?
Attached Files
File Type: doc timetable.doc (69.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by belindz! : 08-11-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2010 at 09:32 PM   #163
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hi Ghia!

1) You have a lot of conflicts! Try changing the tutorials around so that nothing conflicts, for now. If that doesnt fix it, and your cores still conflict, and you cant change those, and it's REQUIRED, contact the department that offers that course (thru mac's website, you should find a staff list with someone marked 'advisor' on it) and they will help you. Unfortuately, if it is an elective, they probably will not help, but you can try.

2) Your gaps between classes is pretty ok. A LOT of 1hour breaks is annoying - you cant go back to home/rez and you cant get enough work done. One or two is alright between long hours of classes for just a break. I prefer more of a high-school, blocked schedule but you might like log breaks in between.

3) I would definately change your term 2 tuesdays. You will def be wiped out by the end - I call days like these Knockout Days - just getting up and knowing it's that day makes you wanna go back to bed. Change your french tutorial, if possible, to another day so you have term 1 tuesday off, and then change that geo lab to another day, preferrably to that giant break on wednesday you have or something on thursday. Believe me, if youre commuting and you only have one class on that day, you might not go if the commute is long

Hope that helps!
I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to log in to MUGSI and into SOLAR. For some reason i can't get on it since this morning.
Old 08-11-2010 at 09:53 PM   #164
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindz! View Post
Hey ppls im in first year life sci and heres my new timetable after mugsi screwed me over
please review my sem 1 please ?
Good to hear your off MUGSI

term 1 - nothing looks good, good luck with 8:30

term 2 - same looks good nice having only one class on Friday gives you plenty of time for last minute study for midterm and you get to go home early and start your weekend
sigh the life of a first year free time free time(- instead of good times good times)

Nice schedule good luck
Old 08-11-2010 at 10:21 PM   #165
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time

Is there anything that stands out with my timetables? Like what about my courses that have no instructor, also i wake up at like 7 AM sooo i dont mine waking up early Thanks for your help =D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Semester 1.jpg (222.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Semester 2.jpg (213.3 KB, 7 views)