MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:05 PM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Toronto Raptors - Steve Nash
So the Brian Colangelo just put out an offer sheet to Landry Fields that he has verbally accepted worth 20M over 3 years. This is probably the dirtiest/greatest move Ive seen this offseason! Colangelo just took the legs out from underneath the NYK, as they now have no hope in being able to sign Nash. Fields was the key piece in what would have been a sign and trade with the Knicks and Suns to get Nash in New York. Colangelo then backloaded the offer sheet to have 9.8 million paid in the third year. The Knicks have about 57 million deisgnated to Melo, Chandler and Amare alone that year. There is no way they can match this offer sheet. If the Knicks dont match the offer sheet, Colangelo can redistribute the money over the three years. SO with NYK out of the Nash sweepstakes, things are looking pretty good in T.O right now! And expect more trades to happen if Fields lands in Toronto as we have a logjam of guys at the 2 and 3 spots! Colangelo you are a genius. Man is going for broke and I couldnt be happier!
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:32 PM   #2
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I don't follow basketball but isn't this the equivalent of the LA Galaxy signing David Beckham? Like yeah he's good but the dude is 38, is paying him 36 million for 3 years really gonna help the Raptors get into the playoffs for the first time in like 10 years?
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:42 PM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I wouldn't call Steve Nash a sweepstakes his 38 years old, true he basically lead the league in assist last season and he has some game left in him but his basically at his retirement age.
Also why would steve nash want to come to toronto, if he was smart he would go to a championship team like miami or something where he can win a championship before he retires.
If Toronto gets him it will be amazing for the fan base and for the city but at most toronto is going to be 1st round exit playoff team.
I think toronto is getting too excited for steve nash and people are forgetting that even if we get him the team is going nowhere
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:45 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
I don't follow basketball but isn't this the equivalent of the LA Galaxy signing David Beckham? Like yeah he's good but the dude is 38, is paying him 36 million for 3 years really gonna help the Raptors get into the playoffs for the first time in like 10 years?
If the raptors had a healthy Bargnani last year, i think they would have made the playoffs or pushed for the 8th seed as he was having an allstar season before the injuries he sustained. Nash may be 38, but he is still putting up great numbers and is still regarded as an elite PG in the league, and well the raptors have made the playoffs a couple times in the past 10 years but yeah i think this could be huge for the franchise
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:48 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I wouldn't call Steve Nash a sweepstakes his 38 years old, true he basically lead the league in assist last season and he has some game left in him but his basically at his retirement age.
Also why would steve nash want to come to toronto, if he was smart he would go to a championship team like miami or something where he can win a championship before he retires.
If Toronto gets him it will be amazing for the fan base and for the city but at most toronto is going to be 1st round exit playoff team.
I think toronto is getting too excited for steve nash and people are forgetting that even if we get him the team is going nowhere
I'm fairly certain they didn't sign him to win a championship. I'm pretty sure that the reason they signed him was to increase revenue. What better way to attract fans to buy tickets and team gear than to bring Kid Canada to Canada?
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:49 PM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
He would come to Toronto because he has been quoted stating that money will be a big part in where he signs this off season. Toronto has offered him a huge contract at 36 million for 3 seasons. Youre right, the roster with just the addition of nash and fields would not make it deep in the playoffs. What you are forgetting is that we will have an overfilled roster, with plenty of big men and guards that need to be moved. A package deal is likely with a couple players, probably Calderon and Derozan/Davis and possibly a future pick, to trade for a starting SF. This team is showing that it is ready to make the jump. It all comes down to what moves Colangelo can make if this Nash deal pans out. Still you gotta love sticking it to the knicks
Old 07-03-2012 at 02:50 PM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm fairly certain they didn't sign him to win a championship. I'm pretty sure that the reason they signed him was to increase revenue. What better way to attract fans to buy tickets and team gear than to bring Kid Canada to Canada?
This is definitely not just a revenue deal. Nash will bring leadership to the team that has none. This will definitely be a huge benefit to the team, and a PnR offence with Nash and Valanciunas will be dirty to watch. This deal has potential written all over it!
Old 07-03-2012 at 03:21 PM   #8
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

exactly. Nash is a leader and toronto has really young players who need veteran leadership. fields is also gonna be solid
Old 07-03-2012 at 03:41 PM   #9
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Raptors made the playoffs in 2007. Not crazy about the reported money. This move reeks of sentiment and Leafiness. He isn't taking the Raps to the playoffs.
Old 07-03-2012 at 04:41 PM   #10
drpatel

This isn't about making the playoffs or becoming a major player in the eastern, at least not with the celtics, bulls and heat as strong as they are...along with the growing Pacers and 6ers. even the Hawks...

the raptors haven't had a veteran leader since Bosh left, and he'd never seen major success in TO either. If the yung-uns are to develop into strong, confident players they're gonna need leadership and Nash is perfect for the job...and people would come out to watch. AAAAANNDD nash would come home to canada
Old 07-03-2012 at 04:45 PM   #11
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Let's hope Wayne Gretzky can convince Nash to sign with the Raptors! Just like he convinced Justin Schultz to sign with EDM.
Old 07-03-2012 at 05:55 PM   #12
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
If the raptors had a healthy Bargnani last year, i think they would have made the playoffs or pushed for the 8th seed as he was having an allstar season before the injuries he sustained. Nash may be 38, but he is still putting up great numbers and is still regarded as an elite PG in the league, and well the raptors have made the playoffs a couple times in the past 10 years but yeah i think this could be huge for the franchise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
Let's hope Wayne Gretzky can convince Nash to sign with the Raptors! Just like he convinced Justin Schultz to sign with EDM.
I have a feeling that Gretz doesn't want the spotlight anymore/doesn't like being here in Canada...
Old 07-03-2012 at 06:41 PM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
I have a feeling that Gretz doesn't want the spotlight anymore/doesn't like being here in Canada...
Yes the greatest hockey player of all time doesnt want to be a canadian anymore.... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING!!!

Swampis likes this.
Old 07-04-2012 at 07:47 PM   #14
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

He's apparently signed with the Lakers. Wow I never thought I would see the day that Nash would don the purple and gold stripes. Looks like I will be cheering for LA to win a ring.

Old 07-04-2012 at 08:02 PM   #15
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

i am very glad that his not coming to toronto hopefully he will get a chance to win a ring in LA