MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-02-2010 at 03:55 PM   #106
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

nono, you remember incorrectly. He didn't win by a landslide, that norwegian just CAME THE HELL OUT OF NOWHERE AND ****ING PWNT THE GUY IN FIRST.

Remember? We were at east sides, and I wuz like "what the frick just happened."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-02-2010 at 04:24 PM   #107
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
nono, you remember incorrectly. He didn't win by a landslide, that norwegian just CAME THE HELL OUT OF NOWHERE AND ****ING PWNT THE GUY IN FIRST.

Remember? We were at east sides, and I wuz like "what the frick just happened."
Youre asking me if i remember something? You should know better.
Old 03-02-2010 at 04:30 PM   #108
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Oh come one guys. The Olympics won't remove womens hockey, or any other sport. China is getting into hockey! I must hand it to them for qualifying for the Olympics. Everything has its flaws and upsides... just deal with it. Countries do well in some sports and stink at others... its always been like that... look at Norway.. they DOMINATE sports that require endurance its what they focus on, Canada is terrible in many sports but our boys came oh so close, its only improving. There is a committee that is dedicated to try and make the winter games great, let them deal with it. I believe that Vancouver 2010 was one of the best ones and yes some events we were all sure that one person would definitely win but there have been upsets, downfalls, it makes it worthwhile. Anything can happen.
Old 03-02-2010 at 04:38 PM   #109
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Lol, what?
Did you see our medal count?

Side note: Once the chinese get practicing hockey, there will be no more medals. So let's enjoy them while we can.

HOW ARE THEY SO SUPERIOR. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-02-2010 at 05:16 PM   #110
dkdk

Liked: 11 Times

So do we cancel the World Juniors? Canada and the Russians have won 27 of 33 gold medals and saw scores this year of 16-0, 12-1, 10-1, 10-1, and 10-2. You need to build up women's hockey somewhere, and the Olympics are the only tournamnet big enough to draw the needed funding. Give it time and the teams outside of N. America will get better.
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:48 PM   #111
mike_2133

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
So do we cancel the World Juniors? Canada and the Russians have won 27 of 33 gold medals and saw scores this year of 16-0, 12-1, 10-1, 10-1, and 10-2. You need to build up women's hockey somewhere, and the Olympics are the only tournamnet big enough to draw the needed funding. Give it time and the teams outside of N. America will get better.
That doesn't even make sense..you can't remove a world championship..it's completely unrelated to the Olympics in anyway.

World championships exist for everything..you can't take it away. The Olympics are for competitive, popular sporting events. It's definitely in no way competitive, and I would even argue it's not popular outside of Canada (even the US doesn't care).

As I said before, the Olympics are not the medium for sports to become competitive. If the sport can't do it on its own, it shouldn't be in the Olympics.
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:52 PM   #112
mike_2133

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If they're going to go about removing Women's hockey from the Olympics on the basis that its not competitive enough (and therefore kill the sport and make it so its never competitive again) then its time to remove other sports too.

There are other motives behind removing Women's hockey imo as there are other sports that are seemingly not very competitive either but there's no talk of removing them.

Did anyone actually watch Men's or Women's halfpipe? I could have told you Torah and Shaun would win weeks before the half pipe competition even occurred. Talk about a sport that isn't competitive enough for the Olympics.

Don't see them removing Cross-Country Skiing events anytime soon either despite the fact that one group of European nations pretty much owns these events.

Russian domination of figure skating? This is the first time in like decades that Russia hasn't won Gold medals in most of the figure skating events. Not to mention all the issues with subjective judging they've had over the years. Oh that's right, they've worked to fix the issues with figure skating without calling for its removal from the games. Why is it they can't do the same thing for Women's Hockey?
It was never competitive in the first place, so I don't see the problem.

Shaun White is recently dominant on halfpipe, and there was absolutely a chance he wasn't going to win. There are snowboarders who have the ability to match his runs (Lago, for example) but just couldn't in the Olympics. 8 or 12 years from now, Shaun White won't be in the Olympics and it will be up in the air. I guarantee 8 and 12 years from now, Canada or the US wins the women's hockey gold medal. There is absolutely no sport in the Olympics that is so non-competitive.

And as already stated, Russia doesn't dominate figure skating. There was definitely calling for it to be removed from the games, but they went and fixed it within 4 years. Women's hockey can't fix their problem (unless they give a whole bunch of women in Europe steroids) in 4 years.
Old 03-03-2010 at 08:34 AM   #113
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_2133 View Post

And as already stated, Russia doesn't dominate figure skating. There was definitely calling for it to be removed from the games, but they went and fixed it within 4 years. Women's hockey can't fix their problem (unless they give a whole bunch of women in Europe steroids) in 4 years.
Russia did dominate figure skating, and yes they can fix Women's hockey.