MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
How to get to Hamilton GO centre? Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 10-04-2010 11:17 AM
womens studies 1a03 - let me know if you're dropping it.. sinthusized Academics 0 01-09-2010 10:11 AM
Student Centre Changes Matt Wright General Discussion 36 03-29-2009 07:52 PM
Womens Clothing Drive Chad Getting Involved 0 11-28-2007 10:52 AM

Womens Centre Aftermath

Old 03-26-2009 at 05:37 PM   #15
davey
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
I tried joining asian focus, when I asked them if I could, the people at the table started talking in moonspeak and ignored me. ;_;
I have the opposite problem. I'm asian... and all the asian clubs at the tables always try to hunt me down with sign-up sheets and ads to events whenever i pass by them. its pretty annoying.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-26-2009 at 08:26 PM   #16
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
I tried joining asian focus, when I asked them if I could, the people at the table started talking in moonspeak and ignored me. ;_;
I know what you mean. I tried to join the Croatian club in first year, I was told that I didn't look Croatian. I had to take out my drivers licence to show them my full name. By that point I no longer wanted to join.

Old 03-26-2009 at 08:43 PM   #17
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
That's reaaaally not supposed to happen. It is very much against clubs policy. If this ever happens, take the time to let the clubs administrator know. She's in MUSC 215.

Julie Ella says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 03-27-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-27-2009 at 08:58 PM   #18
Slania
Program: English + Indigenous Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by collymolotov View Post
why not build, side by side with the womens center, a "mens center" where dudes and dudes only are welcome to kick back and just, well, be manly?...Consider the needs of the majority before the minority. I don't see why my student fees, which fund the MSU should fund the needs of any group when my own goes on being marginalized.
1) In what way are you ever at a disadvantage, or "marginalized" because of the fact that you are a man?
2) Everywhere is a man's centre besides the ladies' bathrooms.
3) Men are already on a higher level than women and when are men abused? Not often. Why would there be a need for a "men's centre"?
4) How would a women's centre marginalize men?
5) There is no need to think about considering the needs of the majority before the minority - that seems to be automatic. It's time to think about minorities. And I say "minorities" in the way that you put it, referring to women, because perhaps you wouldn't understand what I was talking about if I used the proper term of "women"...women are not a minority in the world (in fact there are more women in the world than men), men just have more say in what goes on.

Last edited by Slania : 03-27-2009 at 09:01 PM.

samtheman89, sinthusized all say thanks to Slania for this post.
Old 03-27-2009 at 09:31 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slania View Post
1) In what way are you ever at a disadvantage, or "marginalized" because of the fact that you are a man?
3) Men are already on a higher level than women and when are men abused? Not often. Why would there be a need for a "men's centre"?
5) There is no need to think about considering the needs of the majority before the minority - that seems to be automatic. It's time to think about minorities. And I say "minorities" in the way that you put it, referring to women, because perhaps you wouldn't understand what I was talking about if I used the proper term of "women"...women are not a minority in the world (in fact there are more women in the world than men), men just have more say in what goes on.
How long before a Parham Mortazavi Invasion I wonder?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-27-2009 at 09:37 PM   #20
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Bahahahaah!!
Old 03-27-2009 at 09:39 PM   #21
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 98 Times
Who is Parham Mortazavi?

Slania says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 03-27-2009 at 09:53 PM   #22
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
He's (I'm assuming a he) someone who was making some pretty outlandish (although somewhat true) comments on the Sil's website. You can find it under the opinions article dubbed "It Isn't Mens Fault"

Old 03-27-2009 at 09:54 PM   #23
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

read this thread on the sil's site: http://thesil.ca/?p=2873&cpage=3#comment-4116
Old 03-27-2009 at 10:21 PM   #24
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 98 Times
Hello I agree with Slania. Equity is balancing things so disadvantaged groups have a better chance than they normally would. We still live in a male dominated world, so I wouldn�t say a women�s centre is based on discrimination. And umm okay ... you feel that the courses are taking away your manliness? Huh?
Old 03-28-2009
webzn
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-28-2009 at 05:26 PM   #25
webzn
Program: Science
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slania View Post
That is a very ignorant statement.

Until you walk in another's shoes, you cannot judge. It�s not all daises and daffodils over here. There have been numerous arguments presented in this topic alone, but you do not recognise them. It's called an encoding bias, and it is what the human psyche uses to maintain stereotypes and illusory correlations, or maybe we just live in two different worlds.

EDIT: In my following posts, I describe using real stories and points, why your points perpetuate the stereotypes of the world you present are bias.

Last edited by webzn : 03-28-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2009 at 05:38 PM   #26
samtheman89
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 18 Times
This is a society where straight white males have more power, currently and historically.

I do not see how a women's centre marginalizes men.
Old 03-28-2009 at 05:47 PM   #27
webzn
Program: Science
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman89 View Post
This is a society where straight white males have more power, currently and historically.

I do not see how a women's centre marginalizes men.
First, we live in the now, not in the past, so, 'historically' shouldn't be an argument for a discussion about Mac. Furthermore, you are making these accusations without any independently verifiable facts in your message which allows me to lead me back to my previous point, encoding biases.

As a man, I do feel marginalized. Men have a 1 in 6 chance of getting prostate cancer, whereas women have a 1 in 60 chance [as per Prostate awareness/breast cancer awareness]. Where is my center? I am not saying women do not deserve a center, but, what I am saying is why shouldn't men have one as well. Saying that a women's centre is neccessary but a men's is not is like saying, "I do not care about issues men have", or "men do not have issues". The latter, is clearly untrue, men have many issues as well. Therefore, rather than spending more funds on two separate centres, why not use the areas already present and funded by the MSU that handle both. People need to realize that men and women are just subsets of the group HUMAN, and rather than divide further, find the part that makes us one.

This debate has gone on forever, and I feel will have no end as there will always be opposites in this world. The true "winners" of the debate will be those who are able to present points supporting their arguments, without childishness, oversimplifications, or points with no merit, WHILE listening to the opposing side's points without bias in any form [rational or irrational bias].

Last edited by webzn : 03-28-2009 at 05:51 PM.

lorend says thanks to webzn for this post.

Article Tools