MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite TV shows? ShesTheMan Movies & Television 44 10-08-2010 10:48 AM
One of my favourite videos Katia Computers & Tech 3 04-15-2010 12:30 PM
Favourite Album(s)? (Recommendations Welcome) Proxy Music 48 01-25-2010 07:54 PM
What is your favourite... xxsumz General Discussion 13 06-04-2009 11:08 PM
Vote for your favourite TA Chad Academics 0 02-11-2008 06:33 PM

Your Favourite Profs

Old 07-08-2009 at 01:42 AM   #31
wonie9024

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Dr. Gallier-Morgan for French 1Z06.

She was fair and helpful, and her French accent always captivated me during class...!!!

Mali, MKelly like this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 10:54 PM   #32
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't understand why people don't like Dr. Jacobs. I honestly believe he's a really great prof. The way he teaches the course should appeal to most people since he teaches in a very verbal manner AS WELL in a very visual manner.

I SOOO agree.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:19 PM   #33
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Top 3 profs I've encountered so far.

Dr. Zurob (MATLS 1M03)
Dr. Mercier (GEO 1HB3)
Dr. McLean (MATH 1ZZ5)
Old 07-25-2009 at 10:23 PM   #34
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

zurob!!!
Old 07-25-2009 at 10:31 PM   #35
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

My top 3
1. Rita Cossa (Comm 1E03)
2. Dr. Behnke-Cook (Socio 1A06)
3. Dr. Moro (Linguist 1A03)

All three of them are very approachable, helpful and keep lectures interesting.
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:06 PM   #36
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

dr. vishwanath baba
dr. moore! (easy and nice)
prof. cossa
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:41 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Mr Marc Oullette-CSTC 1BB3(No longer at Mac :()
Mr Todd Alway Polisci 1G06 (Could possibly no longer at Mac next year :()
Julie Hyde - Peace Studies 1B03

p.s: Deanna Behnke Cook is a favourite prof of Alchemist X? WTH? She is right about one of the most uninspiring and hence essentially "bad" profs I've seen at Mac. I am saying that because I had actually covered the material for 1A06 in highschool and re-did it with her, hence essentially I have this unique insight into how boring and ineffective she sort of made it. The lectures were pretty much read of the slides and I don't think I learnt anything I expected from a University level prof, and MCQ exams for an extremely subjective subject! Plus she is rather biased in her views regarding Education; I found after a discussion about it after class.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:44 PM   #38
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Huh... I didn't like Alway. He spoke too fast and sometimes used complicated language that was hard to follow. He seems like a nice guy though.
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:51 PM   #39
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Huh... I didn't like Alway. He spoke too fast and sometimes used complicated language that was hard to follow. He seems like a nice guy though.
lol yeah he was sooo unorthodox, first it was that can of coke that he would drink without fail every single DAY! Then the fact that he never used a mike and instead preffered to shout every single day, a fact I realized after half a term! (I will ask him someday about it hopefully!)

Hmm but I suppose his lectures must have been impossible for compulsive and neatly organized note takers(which I suppose you are ) but I never took a single note and retained all that by memory soo dunno!

As for the language, he probably was still controlling himself to a good extent! He is a very smart guy actually who graduated with a rare summa cum laude(top 1%) of his graduating class! I loved how he destroyed anyone with needless smart alec/dumb questions!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1842154 9112&ref=ts

But he really is a nice guy, he actually used to answer questions after class with the same level of enthusiasam and animatronics as he taught!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-25-2009 at 11:53 PM.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:59 PM   #40
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Haha! I forgot about the coke he had every day. You know, it made my day whenever his voice cracked. LOL I don't mean to be mean, but it was great haha.

Wow, I had heard he was smart but that's pretty intense. He's a cool guy though, if not a bit intimidating at first.

Yeah... it's really difficult to take notes in his class. I always came with my notebook, but ended up writing a few sentences before giving up. :]
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:59 PM   #41
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

so far... dr. dej (bio 2b03) and dr. dushoff (bio 1m03). dr valient and dr locke (both first year chemistry) are also good though chemistry is not my forte. I didn't like Dr. Jacobs because it was difficult to follow his notes with the textbook (since there were no elaborations to his pictures to review later) and I don't understand some his pictures... what did that bird on the brown guy mean anyways? his notes were kind of wastefull.. damn "you are here" every two pages wasted my ink. Personally I thought I would be doomed in cell bio 2b03 and so wanted to get it over with in the summer. Now I understand a lot of the stuff that confused me in 1a03 and I am really enjoying the course.

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-26-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2009 at 01:05 AM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
so far... dr. dej (bio 2b03) and dr. dushoff (bio 1m03). dr valient and dr locke (both first year chemistry) are also good though chemistry is not my forte. I didn't like Dr. Jacobs because it was difficult to follow his notes with the textbook (since there were no elaborations to his pictures to review later) and I don't understand some his pictures... what did that bird on the brown guy mean anyways? his notes were kind of wastefull.. damn "you are here" every two pages wasted my ink. Personally I thought I would be doomed in cell bio 2b03 and so wanted to get it over with in the summer. Now I understand a lot of the stuff that confused me in 1a03 and I am really enjoying the course.
I think it was hard to follow in the textbook mainly because a very large part of his notes were on the influenza virus. I really liked Dr. Jacobs' teaching style, he's not the most multi-toned professor but you can tell that he is enthusiastic about his work.
Old 07-26-2009 at 08:04 AM   #43
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Mr Marc Oullette-CSTC 1BB3(No longer at Mac :()
Mr Todd Alway Polisci 1G06 (Could possibly no longer at Mac next year :()
Julie Hyde - Peace Studies 1B03

p.s: Deanna Behnke Cook is a favourite prof of Alchemist X? WTH? She is right about one of the most uninspiring and hence essentially "bad" profs I've seen at Mac. I am saying that because I had actually covered the material for 1A06 in highschool and re-did it with her, hence essentially I have this unique insight into how boring and ineffective she sort of made it. The lectures were pretty much read of the slides and I don't think I learnt anything I expected from a University level prof, and MCQ exams for an extremely subjective subject! Plus she is rather biased in her views regarding Education; I found after a discussion about it after class.
Well sociology was brand new to me so I didnt mind it that much. Last year I had profs that were 10 times more boring and ineffective than she was, Holmes, Hurst, Faulkner so for me she wasnt that bad. Yea some days were bad but I didnt mind it overall.
Old 07-26-2009 at 09:09 AM   #44
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Dr. Lovric for Calculus (I had him for Calc 1LS3). He is absolutely THE best professor you can come across. unnnnbelievably amazing. he makes math extremely interesting, and the way he teaches it, you actually get everything. his tests are not challenging at all if you study the questions he tells you to study. amazing professor. i'd recommend taking any course he teaches.

Dr. Locke was very good for chemistry 1A03, but then I had Dr. Berti for 1AA3, and I realized he's so much better. Dr. locke tends to teach to a few individuals. She leads discussions in class that only the few brightest of the class are involved in, and everyone else is sitting there like wtf is going on (but if you know whats going on, she's amazing). Dr. Berti on the other hand, he teaches it very simplistically. He's extremely kind and pen to all questions. He writes out really good examples for you that are not included in the notes which really help, and he tells you what you need to know and what you don't. If a discussion is getting to complex and over everybody's head, he'll say "don't worry, you don't need to know that" and will discuss it with you after class to not confuse everyone.
Old 07-26-2009 at 01:47 PM   #45
smiley12

Liked: 0 Times

Dr. Peace, Dr. Mercier, and Dr. Padden