Math 1LS3 sinthusized 1st Year Course Reviews 163 12-29-2013 01:04 PM
Math 1LS3 mtristani General Discussion 4 07-03-2009 03:08 PM

1LS3 advice

Old 08-14-2009 at 01:25 PM   #1
Danait

Liked: 0 Times

1LS3 advice
Hey fellow macs,

i was just wondering.. if I have only taken Advanced functions 12 U, would it be advisable to take 1LS3 without taking 12 Calculus or 1F03? The Math department said that they could give me the authorization but im not sure if its a smart idea? The other option I have is taking 1f03 first semester and 1Ls3 second semester.... =( thanks .

Oh, p.s I need 1LS3 because I need to have either that or 1A03 in order to meet the requirements for the Honours bio and psych. Im going into first year psych.
Old 08-14-2009 at 01:33 PM   #2
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

1LS3 last year was basically (imo at least) repeating gr12 calculus (with a few exceptions, like cobwebbing method and integration at the very end of the course)

I think you should be fine without Gr12 Calc, they basically run through everything really well/straightforward anyways so as long as you pay attention and stuff you shouldn't have any problems

Although that's last year's 1LS3, I dunno if they changed it this year or not in any way
Old 08-14-2009 at 01:35 PM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Splitting up calculas into those two new courses was a poor decision in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2009 at 01:40 PM   #4
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danait View Post
Hey fellow macs,

i was just wondering.. if I have only taken Advanced functions 12 U, would it be advisable to take 1LS3 without taking 12 Calculus or 1F03? The Math department said that they could give me the authorization but im not sure if its a smart idea? The other option I have is taking 1f03 first semester and 1Ls3 second semester.... =( thanks .

Oh, p.s I need 1LS3 because I need to have either that or 1A03 in order to meet the requirements for the Honours bio and psych. Im going into first year psych.
I actually found the topics covered in 1LS3 easier than my gr. 12 calc class. So you should have no problem with just 12 U functions.

Old 08-14-2009 at 02:19 PM   #5
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you have gr 11 math, you'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:33 PM   #6
Danait

no way! oh my goodness, thats great news !
so having all this said, is an A- possible.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:40 PM   #7
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Very possible.

Old 08-14-2009 at 03:05 PM   #8
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
should be extremely possible if you just pay attention and try to do well (the practice tests n all are really useful when prepping for a test)
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:09 PM   #9
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Wow, I'm quite surprised.
How did you get authorization from the math department to skip taking math 1F03 before 1LS3? Did you just call them and ask? Did they give you any advice on it?
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:36 PM   #10
Danait

you basically just ask the department of math that you need the course but you don't have the requirement so you email them at [email protected] er.ca asking if they could give you the authorization.
Old 08-14-2009 at 04:22 PM   #11
kmer

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Thats definately possible

Just remember the one key/obvious rule that many of us tend to neglect, do you homework

And make sure you do the homework before tutorials that way you can get your questions answered. I knew a lot of people who did it afterwards and struggled for it