MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campus Events This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-14-2010 12:40 PM
MSU Campus Events Update - This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-10-2009 12:23 PM
Campus Events Updates! (Halloween week!) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-28-2008 09:37 AM
This week in Campus Events Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-29-2008 11:01 PM
Next Week in MSU Campus Events Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-20-2008 09:37 AM

As a 1st year living off campus, no one tells me anything about welcome week events

Members have rated post #382233 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 09-05-2013 at 06:06 PM   #1
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating5 / 4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by vandidant.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 09-05-2013 at 06:16 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

First, there's no refund for the welcome week fee, whether you attend events or not. It's a mandatory fee.

Second, welcome to university. It's your responsibility to find things out on your own, whether or not you live in residence. There was a mail-out to all engineering students, and it's available online - I did a quick google search "engineers welcome week 2013 mcmaster" and found the schedule of events here. More information could also have been found by asking any redsuit on campus - those people are literally everywhere!

You living off-campus shouldn't have any effect on this, since the residence-oriented events are totally separate from faculty-oriented events.

Edit: googling "mcmaster gulliver lake 2013" gives me this, which is from the same website as the link I posted earlier. I believe it's the information you were looking for.
Old 09-05-2013 at 06:19 PM  
pirates01

Liked: 8 Times

No, what you should of done is listen to the leaders(?)/really loud noisy guys in red jumpsuits with more attention instead of texting the countless girls who have had their cherries popped by you. No one is spoon-feeding you anymore.
Old 09-05-2013 at 06:41 PM  
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 09-05-2013 at 06:57 PM   #3
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating9 / 3Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by vandidant.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 09-05-2013 at 07:03 PM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating10 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community seriously dislikes this post by AvacadoLover
It may contain offensive material. Click here to view it anyways.
Old 09-05-2013 at 07:05 PM   #5
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandidant View Post
Right, I could edit the title so that it sounds less whiney, but I'm not going to do that. Either way, it does not change the fact that information is incomplete.

No one should have to ask anyone for basic information such as a meeting time or location.
I would describe your complaints as astonishingly entitled rather than whiny. Seriously, you're 17/18/19 years old. Is this really that much effort?

starfish says thanks to Amaryll for this post.
Old 09-05-2013 at 07:21 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

It was posted on MI and I am pretty sure if you asked a lot of people would tell you. Short of that, there isn't a whole lot of ways to get the word out. Did you get an email?
Old 09-05-2013 at 07:26 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Disregarding the hatred posts,
Living off campus and on campus at least for the FACULTY events should have made no difference. If you went out and followed the schedules (which were also posted on MI) and you stuck along with your faculty you should have known because they always encourage/repeat the info. You could also have went up to any redsuit and asked when the next event was. You could have also asked any other first years in the same boat or if they knew they woulda shared
Old 09-05-2013 at 08:34 PM   #8
vandidant

Liked: 3 Times

I did not receive any email with a detailed welcome week schedule. The only thing I received regarding welcoming week was in the mail, one heavy-paper page with graphics and a little paragraph summarizing the events at the very bottom.

The thing is that the welcome week leaders are probably spreading the information via word of mouth in the residences, or at least it seems that way to me. Unless there is a very detailed schedule somewhere with time location and date available somewhere that I don't know about, but everyone else does?
Old 09-05-2013 at 08:44 PM   #9
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

What's that? AvacadoLover disagrees with everyone again? Surely you jest!

@AvacadoLover:

Are you allowed to have avatar saying you are a moderator?

Kudos likes this.
Old 09-05-2013 at 09:14 PM   #10
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandidant View Post
McMaster and MSU need to get their stuff organized better; they are worse than MUGSI.

B*tch please, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING is worse than MUGSI and SOLAR.
Old 09-05-2013
Freija
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-05-2013 at 09:24 PM   #11
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
No one should have to ask anyone for basic information such as a meeting time or location. First years were greatly misinformed, for instance redsuits told most eng's to not attend labs/tutorials which contradicts Dr Fleisig. He explicitly said that the redsuits were wrong on that matter..
You sure you didn't mishear? Pretty sure labs/tutorials don't happen the first two weeks of school, unless mentioned otherwise.
Old 09-05-2013 at 10:38 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...come-week.html
https://www.facebook.com/MacWelcomeWeek
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...now-80016.html
https://www.facebook.com/events/468678799895612 (eng)
http://macengsociety.ca/2013/08/ (this is where mac eng society posts everything and the 15mb download has full info with full event list)
https://www.facebook.com/MacEngSoc

The front page of Macinsiders has an interactive live schedule too
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9.html?t=80989

Man that pamphlet I wish we had. Did you get a handbook (agenda) it should have it in there too (don't remember). I wish we had those seminars for networking , time management, etc (heck I wana go too) At least you have friday+sat left

At least you posted on MI to ask and got it answered/solved. Better than not knowing at all. Guess MI is useful

Last edited by Leeoku : 09-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.

PockyWarrior, Quiver like this.