MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

1st year nursing...books

Old 08-24-2010 at 09:27 PM   #1
Carly.

Liked: 3 Times

1st year nursing...books
Hey, I am a first year nursing student and I was looking into the books I need and some courses have 7 or more books! Is this just the honest truth or should I wait until first classes to see if the prof recomends anything?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2010 at 09:31 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Wait till classes start, but for nursing you will be using some of the same books throughout your entire 4 years, so the first year book list is pretty hefty.
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:20 PM   #3
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

most of the books you will need.... and yah you'll use them later on... but its not just first year, just looked at my 2nd yr book list .... yeah about $700 again. ugh.

PBL you might not need all of them... like the APA manual... and you choose one of 'still alice' OR 'Tuesdays with Morrie' ... and the problem based nursing book we didnt really use much in 1st yeaar, but maybe later on we will...
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:38 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
most of the books you will need.... and yah you'll use them later on... but its not just first year, just looked at my 2nd yr book list .... yeah about $700 again. ugh.

PBL you might not need all of them... like the APA manual... and you choose one of 'still alice' OR 'Tuesdays with Morrie' ... and the problem based nursing book we didnt really use much in 1st yeaar, but maybe later on we will...
700$ is a good price for books you will be using throughout university and most likely during your career as well.
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:45 PM   #5
Charbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
700$ is a good price for books you will be using throughout university and most likely during your career as well.

books for 1st year were $1000....
brutal
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:54 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
books for 1st year were $1000....
brutal
That is pretty brutal, my second year was about that much. My first year cheaper since I only had to buy like 5 books.

But again, you reuse your books where as my books are completely useless to me after the class is over :\
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:02 PM   #7
Charbs

Quote:
That is pretty brutal, my second year was about that much. My first year cheaper since I only had to buy like 5 books.

But again, you reuse your books where as my books are completely useless to me after the class is over :\

yeah true... Im always going to be able to reference back to my books... lol
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:06 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
yeah true... Im always going to be able to reference back to my books... lol
But then again, I can sell my books... so it's not AS expensive as it turns out to be... So I guess they both have their pros and cons.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:07 PM   #9
Charbs

Quote:
But then again, I can sell my books... so it's not AS expensive as it turns out to be... So I guess they both have their pros and cons.

haha so we both suck lol
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:17 PM   #10
Carly.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:

Thank you so much!
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:26 PM   #11
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly. View Post
Thank you so much!
I would not buy the APA manual. Many free resources are available online. The Purdue OWL website is one good reference http://owl.english.purdue.ed u/owl/resource/560/01/.

If you don't mind going to the library, some textbooks can be found in the Health Sciences Library, particularly in the Health Reserve area. *Reserve books have short borrow times.

Sometimes you can find online versions of books (e.g., Lippincott's Nursing Drug Guide) through the HSL website.

Carly. says thanks to Sideout for this post.