MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM

2.9 CA after First Year HELP!!

Old 05-13-2013 at 06:12 PM   #16
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
iI think it means that if you failed a course, it will be wiped from your record but if you passed it (ie, got the 3 units of credit) the mark will be retained in your transcript)
I think monica was asking how you can retain the mark if your CA is reset to zero on zero units.

It would make sense to me if it was pass/fail then, but I really don't know.
Old 05-13-2013 at 09:57 PM   #17
SilentHero-_-

Liked: 17 Times

Srry to hear that, I hope everything works out. What everyone else said, academic counselling.

Green Angel, jim1 like this.
Old 05-15-2013 at 12:38 PM   #18
lauricas

Liked: 13 Times

Thanks everyone, I have set up a meeting with my Social Work professor to discuss regrading my final exam.

Any suggestions of how to approach her professionally with the best chance of getting her to reconsider and regrade my exam would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2013 at 12:54 PM   #19
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricas View Post
Any suggestions of how to approach her professionally with the best chance of getting her to reconsider and regrade my exam would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
If the ta marked your exam, you could tell her that you think it was marked too hard. Sometimes there's more than 1 solution to the problem, but the tas only mark according to what they have, so you could try to argue (politely) about that.

Old 05-17-2013 at 08:31 PM   #20
achhin

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
I recall a staff member who received letters you might be sending during a first year orientation. He said he always looked for excuses in the letters. He then said he always asked "why didn't you ask for help earlier?" to the students. I suggest you prepare an answer to this question as it might boost your chances on increasing your mark.
I recall hearing this as well during my first year orientation. If you are serious about applying for a reinstatement in the case that all other options fail to get you the CA that you require to stay in Mac/your program (i.e. talked to your profs about your situation and perhaps getting some exams remarked), think about what you can change about how you approach your academics next year in the face of your stressful home conditions and commuting.

If you apply for OSAP, it may be even enough to cover staying in a house off-campus, closer to Mac instead of commuting which may take a load off of your shoulders, especially if you are not using RESP as a form of payment for your tuition. I know a lot of friends whose OSAP loans covered their tuition and housing for the year. Extra funding in the form of scholarships and bursaries will help with buying textbooks and groceries for the year if you're conscientious enough to apply for them.

If you at least try to change your situation, you'll feel a lot better than sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. All in all, best of luck
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:00 PM   #21
lauricas

Liked: 13 Times

Thank you everyone

I am meeting with my Social Work professor tomorrow about my exam being regraded, I am one grade point away from being a student at McMaster again next year

A few more questions I have:

1. How should I approach her? What are some things I should say to her in order to stay respectful and still get my point across?
2. I ended with a grade of 47% in my Anthropology class, what are the chances that my professor will bump me to a pass?!?! This would save me and keep me at Mac next year.
3. Is it possible that I will be reinstated by this fall? I know a year off is highly recommended, but I am not covered under the insurance of my family if I am not a full time student, and I am afraid that if I find a full time job through this year I will not have the drive to return for my degree.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:21 PM   #22
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricas View Post
Thank you everyone

I am meeting with my Social Work professor tomorrow about my exam being regraded, I am one grade point away from being a student at McMaster again next year

A few more questions I have:

1. How should I approach her? What are some things I should say to her in order to stay respectful and still get my point across?
2. I ended with a grade of 47% in my Anthropology class, what are the chances that my professor will bump me to a pass?!?! This would save me and keep me at Mac next year.
3. Is it possible that I will be reinstated by this fall? I know a year off is highly recommended, but I am not covered under the insurance of my family if I am not a full time student, and I am afraid that if I find a full time job through this year I will not have the drive to return for my degree.

Thanks!
For #1, that's something you need to figure out yourself. It's common sense, it's not like there's a script that you need to follow to get what you want.

2. All fails automatically get their exams re-read and other examples of the student's work are considered. So unless you have stellar participation or something like that, or the prof is a mark, not very likely.

3. It's possible, but I have doubts about how probable it is. If working for a year will eliminate your drive to return as a student, then maybe you NEED the year off. And then if you find a job that you like that really does make you not want to return to school, then that's great - you don't need to come back if you're happy where you are.
Old 08-11-2013
BobSmith99
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-11-2013 at 05:24 PM   #23
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
You could just start working now anyways, a degree in the humanities won't get you anywhere in life past a fast food restaurant.
^Way to revive an old thread, here have a

Not even going to address your ignorant comment though =D, what faculty are you in if you care to say
Old 08-11-2013 at 05:32 PM   #24
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

All and any degrees can get you a job, you just have to look in the right places and have the right skillset. People say that about social sciences, humanities, but science doesn't get you anywhere either unless you know what you're doing if/when you don't get into med school. Things like engineering or med rad might streamline into jobs now, but it'll slow once the supply outmatches the demand. It's a cycle. Don't perpetuate program elitism while hiding behind your computer monitor, please.
Old 08-11-2013 at 05:40 PM   #25
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by BobSmith99.
Click here to view it anyways.