MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question about the two first year Bios 1A03 and 1M03 Nosh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-13-2009 11:49 AM

the 2 bios or the 2 chems?

Old 06-29-2011 at 07:04 AM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

the 2 bios or the 2 chems?
I can't decide atm whether to take the 2 bios (1A03& 1M03) or the 2 chems (1A03& 1AA3)
I have to take them both sooner or later, it's just that one will be during the school year while the other will be during summer school
They're both challenging courses, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest which is slightly easier (in terms of courseload, things to memorize, time spent, professor...etc)
a comparison of the pros and cons of each would also be greatly appreciated

I did read the reviews from the tabs up there but they're relatively the same

main concern: I'm in kin, so there's already going to be quite a bit of memorizing to do in the anatomy part. This sorta sucks then to memorize the stuff in bio as well. As for chem, I got 90% for final, but that's mainly b/c I'm good at the application math part. I always seem to screw up in the knowledge m/c. Not exactly strong in orgo chem either, which I heard is brutal in uni along with inorganic chem. (btw, how did you guys find orgo/ inorgo chem)

Last edited by Joyceyblank : 06-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2011 at 07:10 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

If i were you, I'd do chem during the school year because it can be hard to learn all the material and whatnot in just 7 weeks in summer school and like you said, you'll have enough courses to memorize in. With Bio though, you can easily memorize if you take it in summer school. Alternatvely, you could take 1 bio and 1 chem during the fall/winter semester and the rest in summer school. It's really abou wha most comfortable with.
Old 06-29-2011 at 07:37 AM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

What do you think you would do better in? What are you more interested in? Are you planning to pursue bio or chem in 2nd year or above? << all these should factor in to your decision.

Because I chose to take several upper year bio courses, taking 1st year bio during the regular school year was helpful. I can't say the same for chem...even though I took a couple upper year chem courses (2OA3/2OB3 and chem bio 2p03), i didn't find the material from 1st year chem to be very helpful at all. So for this reason I would say take the bios during the year and chem during summer school. Don't worry about the memorization...in science almost all your courses will be memorization and straight regurgitation so get used to it now.
Old 06-29-2011 at 09:36 AM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I think you should take one bio and one chem now, while doing the other 2 in summer school.
As for which one is easier, that completely depends on who you ask and what their background is in. Personally, I find chem easier (either the cause or effect of being in chem bio). Some other people may prefer bio and find that easier.
I find that bio is a little too much memorization and not enough application.
In terms of professors. All the bio profs are crazy, insane, and weird. All (most) of the chem profs are totally boss and normal.
Don't worry about (in)organic chem. In kin I seriously doubt you'll be forced to take inorganic. Im in chem and even I dont have to take inorganic. In terms of orgo... its brutal but not bad. Hard to explain.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-29-2011 at 10:09 AM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I'd take the bios during the summer. With all of your other kin courses that is a lot of memorization. Also, as Sara said 7 weeks in the summer is a short time to digest all of the chem material.
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:59 AM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Chem during the year for sure. Bio is too much memorizing! You don't want a bio class the same time you have A&P, PA Epidemiology and Psychomotor Behaviour!
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:44 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Bio is pure memorization and can be really boring at times. You should take chemistry.