MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 minutes between class? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-28-2010 11:58 AM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Managing those Minutes! asood Academics 0 10-02-2008 07:10 PM
SRA Minutes! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 7 07-28-2008 03:50 PM

200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes

Old 01-08-2011 at 07:02 PM   #16
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Even cooler because I know a lot of history...like the Chinese famine that was mentioned.

There was a major drop in one of the European countries at like 1944. I wonder if that was Poland? There was also a drop in 30s by what i think was Russia, which falls in line with collectivization and Stalin's purges... Might have seen the Rwandan genocide too, but with all the issues in Africa, I can't be sure.

Watching China in the 40s-60s really underscores how crazy Mao was.

I love his whole thing about WWI "What a catastrophe!!"

Very cool stuff. I wish they labeled more, though.
Pretty sure that was Nazi Germany. Poland regained strength and never dipped that low, as opposed to Germany which went back past square one and started over.
Old 01-08-2011 at 07:39 PM   #17
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

that was awesome.

why can't they teach like that? I was interested in every second.
Old 01-08-2011 at 11:31 PM   #18
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Pretty sure that was Nazi Germany. Poland regained strength and never dipped that low, as opposed to Germany which went back past square one and started over.
Maybe. I was thinking Poland because they lost something like 9% of their population in Jews alone. But that was over years, so who knows. Argh, we need labels, lol. Germany was losing, but I don't think they dropped so dramatically in one year...if anything I'd expect 1946 to be worse, with everyone leaving and the post-war depression/whatever going. Maybe I'll find out in a few months, I'm taking the German history course right now, lol.

Was the 40-42 bubble a European one? It might have been Russia, or one of the Eastern European states it controlled. That was when the Nazis attacked, and the USSR inputted a slash and burn policy, destroying everything before the Nazis could use it, even if it meant civilian casualties (if anything they were encouraged to die fighting). Usual estimates are 7 million military and 20 million civillian (USSR side) deaths in those years. Probably devastated somewhere like Ukraine, that had a significant farming population, and killed their livelihood and dropped them like that.

If the 40-42 was blue it might have been a result of the North African campaign, which was compounded by a typhus epidemic, but I'm not sure how serious it was. I'm not very strong in African history to be honest.
Old 01-08-2011 at 11:59 PM   #19
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

it was Ukraine
source: this chart

*edit* also try fiddling with the other countries and other parameters

Last edited by giftedchick : 01-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2011 at 12:16 AM   #20
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
...Was the 40-42 bubble a European one? It might have been Russia, or one of the Eastern European states it controlled. That was when the Nazis attacked, and the USSR inputted a slash and burn policy, destroying everything before the Nazis could use it, even if it meant civilian casualties (if anything they were encouraged to die fighting). Usual estimates are 7 million military and 20 million civillian (USSR side) deaths in those years. Probably devastated somewhere like Ukraine, that had a significant farming population, and killed their livelihood and dropped them like that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
it was Ukraine
source: this chart

*edit* also try fiddling with the other countries and other parameters

I. kick. ass.

And thanks for the link. Now I'll never get off the internet, lol, jumping between my history books, google and the chart.

Funny how Europe goes crazy in the late 40s, with everything falling back into place.

Last edited by britb : 01-09-2011 at 12:33 AM.