MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Econ mike4 Academics 12 01-07-2012 12:35 AM
2nd and 3rd year econ courses Zaidm Academics 1 09-08-2011 02:08 PM
Picking a 2nd or 3rd year Econ elective Porsche911 Academics 7 09-06-2011 05:22 PM
3rd Year Econ Courses? finkle09 Academics 0 08-23-2011 04:28 AM
3rd and 4th Year Econ courses? aviaf Academics 5 06-09-2010 08:39 AM

2nd Year Econ Help

Old 12-26-2012 at 08:02 PM   #1
sn55

Liked: 0 Times

2nd Year Econ Help
Hi I'd love any opinions on these courses. I've already read the course reviews btw

ECON 2G03 - McCabe/Leach/Bruce

1) Any comments on any of the professors?
2) How hard is the math for someone who has taken only MATH 1LS3?
3) Is it necessary to buy the text?

ECON 2H03 - Khan

1) Is there a lot of memorization of theory in this course?
2) Is it like ECON 1BB3 where there is testable information from the text that is not presented in lecture?

ECON 2D03 - Khan

1) How subjectively marked are the written essay assignments/ how hard is it to do well on them?
2) How hard/subjectively marked are the SA qs on the midterms?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Last edited by sn55 : 12-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2012 at 08:32 PM   #2
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn55 View Post
Hi I'd love any opinions on these courses. I've already read the course reviews btw

ECON 2G03 - McCabe/Leach/Bruce

1) Any comments on any of the professors?
2) How hard is the math for someone who has taken only MATH 1LS3?
3) Is it necessary to buy the text?

ECON 2H03 - Khan

1) Is there a lot of memorization of theory in this course?
2) Is it like ECON 1BB3 where there is testable information from the text that is not presented in lecture?

ECON 2D03 - Khan

1) How subjectively marked are the written essay assignments/ how hard is it to do well on them?
2) How hard/subjectively marked are the SA qs on the midterms?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
I've taken some of these as electives.

Econ 2G03 - Bruce
All the testable material was from his MTs (posted online) and in-class material. It is imperative that you go to every class, though. Calculus is very easy, do not worry about it (no integration, etc).

Econ 2H03 - Khan
Really easy course, too. I did not buy the text and I got a 12. Just master the problems from the course-ware assignments, tests, quizzes, bonus quizzes.

Hope this helps.

naval23, sn55 all say thanks to L_Blankfein for this post.
Old 12-26-2012 at 08:53 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Bruce posts all his stuff on his website (he doesn't use avenue): http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/bruce/
He is highly mathematical. His test formats are 4 questions in which you use math and calculus to solve. His tests are not too bad but they aren't easy.

McCabe is a good at teaching however he tends to repeat things a lot but he makes good notes. I didn't have him for 2g03 but i had him for another class and his midterms are easy, but the final exam is hard.

Khan's class (2h03) is easy. Just do the problems in the course-ware and you should be fine. Don't expect neat notes in his class. He basically just scribbles, no structure whatsoever. Quizzes are easy and you are allowed to work with others during class (however the room gets loud and it can be hard to focus). Gives lots of bonuses so make sure you go to class.

Khan's 2d03 is easy as well. easier than 2h03. Essay's are marked pretty easy however for my class (2j03) he withheld our essay marks which i though was absolutely unfair.

Khan's classes are a joke.

naval23, sn55 all say thanks to rpg51 for this post.
Old 12-26-2012 at 09:49 PM   #4
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

I was wondering the same thing. I've heard that Econ 2D03 and Econ 2H03 are very easy with Khan. How are the written assignments like? Are they hard to write and are they graded tough?

And how hard is the math for Econ 2G03? I've only taken Math 1LS3 so will it be difficult for me?
Old 12-26-2012 at 09:55 PM   #5
rpg51
Elite Member

there is no written assignment for 2h03. for 2d03 the only wiritten assignment is an essay which doesn't require much of you, not really that hard. However he withholds the grades of the essays well that was what he did when i took it, cause he is a dick like that. But i don't think the grading was tough on it, should be relatively easy to get a high mark. Econ 2G03 uses calculus. Each professor who teaching really teaches it in their own way. For example, which Bruce, he uses very little theory. Basically his class is all math (Calc). You get 4 questions and u use math to solve them. He'll never ask you theory questions, except on the exam which is all MC. Don't know about the other profs who teach the class, but the level of math used varies across each professor

Old 12-26-2012 at 10:17 PM   #6
sn55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
there is no written assignment for 2h03. for 2d03 the only wiritten assignment is an essay which doesn't require much of you, not really that hard. However he withholds the grades of the essays well that was what he did when i took it, cause he is a dick like that. But i don't think the grading was tough on it, should be relatively easy to get a high mark. Econ 2G03 uses calculus. Each professor who teaching really teaches it in their own way. For example, which Bruce, he uses very little theory. Basically his class is all math (Calc). You get 4 questions and u use math to solve them. He'll never ask you theory questions, except on the exam which is all MC. Don't know about the other profs who teach the class, but the level of math used varies across each professor
Thanks! And by withholding grades, do you mean that he'll never tell you how you did? And how were the SA questions on the midterms?

Are you allowed to work with others for 2D03 quizzes as well?
Old 12-26-2012 at 10:38 PM   #7
rpg51
Elite Member

yea you are allowed to work with others for 2d03 quizzes. When I took the course he didn't tell us our grades, which means we will never know. I don't know why he does this, doesn't seem fair to me but that's life. The short answer on the midterms were just basic calculations. He won't ask you to explain any theories or anything like that.

Old 12-26-2012 at 10:38 PM   #8
rpg51
Elite Member

don't be worried about this class. its really really easy

Old 12-26-2012 at 10:47 PM   #9
sn55

Thanks so much, that was super helpful advice!
Old 12-26-2012 at 11:03 PM   #10
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn55 View Post
Thanks! And by withholding grades, do you mean that he'll never tell you how you did? And how were the SA questions on the midterms?

Are you allowed to work with others for 2D03 quizzes as well?
Great advice thanks! Has anyone taken Econ 2G03 with Holmes? How is the testing like? Is it very math based or is it a mix of math and theory? Can you do well just by studying her slides or do you need to think outside the box for all those math problems? I've heard it's just basic calculus, so if I know basic calculus, is it just following rules and coming up with an answer? Or do you have to think outside the box for the questions?
Old 12-27-2012 at 11:52 AM   #11
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I took 2G03 with Holmes, and despite not being strong in calc at ALL, I got through it with an 11. She gives out mad bonus marks so make sure you attend class... She's pretty well 50-50 on theory-math, her format for tests was 30 questions, 15 math and 15 theory. Just stay on top of the class and you'll do fine.

naval23 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 09:50 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I never liked Econ 1BB3, would it still be recommended to take 2H03 if it is truly easy? I got an 11 in 1BB3..if that means anything.
Old 12-27-2012 at 09:56 PM   #13
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Khan is pretty much an easy A... And macro is far more relevant to politics, etc than is micro which is more relevant to business. If you don't like it, though, I'd suggest taking something you do like as an elective.

naval23 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:10 PM   #14
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Khan is pretty much an easy A... And macro is far more relevant to politics, etc than is micro which is more relevant to business. If you don't like it, though, I'd suggest taking something you do like as an elective.
Thanks! I really liked Econ 1B03, but I don't think I'll ever see an econ course as easy as that one
Is the only new thing about Econ 2G03 is using calculus to solve all the problems? And do profs expect you to know all the proofs, or just apply the calculus?
Old 12-27-2012 at 11:04 PM   #15
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

the only thing you need to know for econ 2g03 is partial differentiation and maybe optimization of one variable. Bruce was the best econ prof I had because he didnt waste time covering useless theory and it was more like math class which I liked.