MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Year LifeSci chrestomanci Introduce Yourself 3 08-02-2011 10:59 PM
3rd year lifesci courses 3A03, 3K03, 3DD3 etc traveler10 Academics 13 05-03-2011 03:48 AM
:D 1st year Lifesci cwong Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 11:37 AM
Switch from Lifesci to health sci program by 2nd year?? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 07-06-2010 08:36 PM

3rd Year Courses for LifeSci?

Old 04-09-2014 at 03:20 PM   #1
khandm2

Liked: 0 Times

3rd Year Courses for LifeSci?
I was looking through the course reviews and saw that there aren't that many reviews for 3rd year life sci courses. I was wondering if some upper years could talk about some of the courses they liked taking in third and fourth year.
Old 04-10-2014 at 01:29 AM   #2
TrinidadTT
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Life Sci 3EP3 - Job-shadowing placement in the career of your choice and you make your own course outline. Doesn't get better than that :p
Life Sci 3M03 - Dr. Dej & Dasilva make this course easy and interesting. All about the cell and combining techniques learned in bio 2b03 and 2c03. Plus no final exam.
Life Sci 3RP3 - Find a supervisor to do research with. Design your own course outline and enjoy the placement.
Life Sci 3A03 - Didn't take it since I heard the marking for the assignments was quite unfair and harsh on students. Content-wise its really good but marking and grade wise, it's kind of in the hands of the TA (~25% of your mark).
Life Sci 4A03/4B06/4C09/4EP6/etc. - Thesis courses/job shadow placements. Again make your own course outline and get a good reference letter from your supervisor provided you leave a good impression.
Life Sci 3Z03 - Inquiry class. It's hard to get into this class since its really popular and I'm not sure about the exact number of seats but it should be about 25-30. Definitely take it if its open.

Hope that helps.

beebee2 says thanks to TrinidadTT for this post.
Old 04-11-2014 at 11:56 AM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

I agree with Life Science 3Z03, I took it last term and it was worth waking up at 7:30 for. The topics change every year so check before signing up for it.

Another course that's really great is Life Sci 3X03: Experimental Design. We learn how to analyze data, how to collect data so that there's no bias, use a software called JMP, and instead of a final exam, we design and run an experiment and then present it. It's a great course to take and really gives you the feeling that you are a scientist.

beebee2 says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.