MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
Agreement with CAW Local 555, Unit 1 ratified saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-01-2009 12:02 AM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM
Tentative agreement reached with CAW Local 555, Unit 1 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-22-2009 08:37 AM
Dropping a 0 unit course after the Drop Deadline goodnews.inc Academics 6 09-21-2009 11:33 PM

6 unit course..

Old 04-14-2010 at 09:19 PM   #1
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

6 unit course..
How does grading for a 6 unit course work? Are the two separate term marks averaged into one mark?
Old 04-14-2010 at 09:22 PM   #2
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Pretty sure that the final mark after term 2 is the mark taken into your average. Had the same thing last year with 1P03 (2 term course)
Old 04-14-2010 at 09:39 PM   #3
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

But I mean like.. for example, if I got a B in term one on my grade report for a course (6 unit one) and second term I got a C with all my assignments and the exam.. will they take the B and C and average that out?
Old 04-14-2010 at 09:40 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Well, i dont think so. If you get a B first term, and a D- second term, your mark will be D- (based on how 1P03 worked).
Old 04-14-2010 at 09:47 PM   #5
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

Those aren't term 1 and term 2 marks, the first is your midterm mark and the second is your final mark.

Old 04-14-2010 at 10:42 PM   #6
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsanx View Post
But I mean like.. for example, if I got a B in term one on my grade report for a course (6 unit one) and second term I got a C with all my assignments and the exam.. will they take the B and C and average that out?

If the exam in April consists of everything you have learned from Sept. then no, they probably won't average it out.

But if the exam consists of things you've learned from January to April, then yes, they will average it out. (Term 1- Sept-Dec. & Term 2- Jan- Apr.)
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:12 PM   #7
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

The mark you receive at the end of first term is your running grade. Its simply a snapshot of your grade at that point in time. Your grade continues to change as the second term of the course progresses. The mark you receive in term 2 is your final mark, the one you received earlier is obsolete.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:15 PM   #8
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Okay. I think a lot of these posts are very confusing. Here's the breakdown:

Term 1: I look at my grade report, see an 8. Glorious.
Term 2: I look at my grade report, see a 9. Glorious.

This really means that (assuming there was an equal weighting of assignments/tests between the two terms) I got a 10 average on all of the term 2 work. But, I never see that 10 from term 2. I see the combined average of the two terms.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:23 PM   #9
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Okay. I think a lot of these posts are very confusing. Here's the breakdown:

Term 1: I look at my grade report, see an 8. Glorious.
Term 2: I look at my grade report, see a 9. Glorious.

This really means that (assuming there was an equal weighting of assignments/tests between the two terms) I got a 10 average on all of the term 2 work. But, I never see that 10 from term 2. I see the combined average of the two terms.
Equally confusing :p
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:51 PM   #10
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Equally confusing :p
Perhaps... although at least it clearly states the three different numbers present in the situation. Some posts made it (possible) seem like your term 1 mark doesn't matter at all, and whatever you get in the term 2 coursework is what you get in the course overall.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:06 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Having had a bunch of 6-unit classes, perhaps I can explain.

I'm going to arbitrarily design a course and some assignments etc. Your grade (percentage) is beside the value in blue.

Participation: 10% (both terms) 80
Term 1 Essay: 15% 64
Midterm Exam: 15% 77
Presentation: 10% 82
Term 2 Essay: 25% 76
Final Exam: 25% 81

Term 1 your grade is based off of your Essay, and a midterm. Your grade at the midterm is (9.6+11.55 = 21.15 21.155/30 = 70.5) B-/7

Your presentation is in term 2, so that grade is not counted at your midterm. So that along with your participation and everything else is added up (8.4+9.6+11.55+8.2+19 +20.25=77 77/100 = 77), which in this case a B+/9.

Your grade is based on different components that are added together, not averaged. It's like you finding out what your grade is in any course going into an exam, and then determining your mark on the exam based on your final grade.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

MacPack says thanks to lorend for this post.

sniderj likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 02:50 AM   #12
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

in a 6 unit course, your "first mark" is just bullshit the teacher makes up since you haven't completed all the course stuff yet, sometimes half point marks literally mean nothing. if you figure you have done a midterm, which might be 15% of your final mark, then 2 assignments, 10%, the professor has to come up with some mark based on nothing. Shitty situation sometimes. of course you look at it and shit yourself because you are getting a 3/12 but really that is only 1/4 of your final mark. 50% comes from 3 hours of work during exams, etc ...

if a professor uses excel to do the marks and doesnt know how to use it well, you can run into problems with how the numbers are calculated.

for a 6 unit course, your GPA is calculated using your final mark.

Here is the best solution to all these problems though, don't check your marks, don't calculate your marks, bust your ass at every stage as if you are getting a 1/12 and need to get as good as possible or you will be kicked out. Looking at marks freaks people out, then people start trying to bargain "oh I only need a 30% on the final to pass, so I wont study for that" etc...
Old 04-15-2010 at 05:57 AM   #13
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Here is the best solution to all these problems though, don't check your marks, don't calculate your marks, bust your ass at every stage as if you are getting a 1/12 and need to get as good as possible or you will be kicked out. Looking at marks freaks people out, then people start trying to bargain "oh I only need a 30% on the final to pass, so I wont study for that" etc...
I've always calculated my marks and it's never freaked me out. If I have a low mark then I bust my ass to bring it up and if I have a good mark then I still bust my ass so that I can keep that good mark. Having the numbers in front of me is kind of a confidence booster for me because I don't always think I can do it.

Old 04-15-2010 at 10:14 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think that knowing your position in each course is important, for me atleast. I'm sure that not everyone has enough time to study for everything 100%, not me anyways. It's hard to study for two exams within 2 days. Knowing how well I'm doing in a course can help me prioritize, knowing my marks can help me figure what sections of the course I have difficulty on and concentrate on that.