Liked: 974 Times

∆s°
Uh...

Hey.

Sup guys.

Name's Stephen.

Call me Entropy.

Sequences make me feel clever.

I think the Fibonacci sequence is my fav'rite.

This intro took me way too long to write. I counted the syllables like, twenty times.

(You can stop counting the syllables now.)

I always find it sort of neat when I get called by my username instead of my real name (I'm looking at you, ecks oh). Partly because I'm not really a fan of my real name, it seems kind of bland.

No offence to the other Stephen/Stevens though.

Uh...I'm entering Level III Materials Engineering and Society this fall, hopefully getting a minor in Business, so I'll be taking a bunch of level II business courses over the next few years too. Let me know if you're ever in my class, 'cause otherwise I'll feel lonely.

I like to rollerblade when the opportunity presents itself, but if I had to have a "thing", it'd be solving Rubik's Cubes.

My best solve is probably about 40 seconds, but I average 50~60. I can also do stuff like 7x7x7 and 3x3x4 cubes.

I like to think of myself as a gamer, but I don't really play as much as I used to. I've been a pretty heavy fan of the FF series for the majority of my life though.

If you have PSN, feel free to add me at ZealousEntropy. I don't play any shooters, but I do dabble a bit in Street Fighter.

I think some people are wondering what the whole Entropy thing is about. You want the story? I'll spin it for you quick.

I hated science in high school, mostly due to an unfortunate grade 9 teacher. But since I didn't want to get into straight math (the only thing I did like), I got used to it and eventually got around to liking Physics (specifically, mechanics), but maintaining a steady hate for Chemistry.

Eventually, I learned about entropy: in layman's terms, it's the thermodynamic measure of disorder in any given system. For example, water vapour is more entropic than liquid water, which is more entropic than ice due to the differences in randomness of the H2O molecules. A measure of chaos? Seemed pretty badass.

My plan when I got into Eng here was to get into Mech Eng, since it didn't involve any Chemistry and I also wasn't fond of circuits and waves part of Physics.

When I finished the Chem exam in first year, I realized that I was never going to do any Chemistry again. Even though I hated it, I grew to respect it and was a little saddened to see it go.

I'd imagine it's what Wile E. Coyote might feel if Roadrunner died or something.

Anyway, I ended up changing my display name to ∆S° as sort of a tribute to it. In case you're not aware, it means "the change (∆) in entropy (S) at standard state (°)".

...My first name also starts with an S so that kind of works too.

Skip ahead to May when marks came out and we were told what we got into. I only got into Materials, which was actually my last choice, and it was really only there because a few friends were going into it.

The funny thing about Materials though, is that it has the most Chemistry of all the Eng departments. Arguably, even more than Chem Eng.

On an unrelated note, I actually saw my Materials prof (Zurob!) at work a few days later and after talking to him for a bit, decided that fate was playing its hand. I was disappointed at not getting into Mech at first, but after seeing him I accepted it.

So here I am now. And after second year, I think I like Chemistry. Coincidentally, I also think I hate Mechanics. It's funny how that works.

And I still use the name Entropy, because this time it's not for the sake or irony, but because I've been learning a lot about it.

k, that's it for now. Ask me stuff if you want to know more for some reason.

Also someone reply because I'll be sad if I wrote all this and don't get any responses. :(

(Also Chad, why can't I change the topic title S to an uppercase letter?)

Last edited by Entropy : 06-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.

kangs6 likes this.
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:44 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
(Also Chad, why can't I change the topic title S to an uppercase letter?)
PM Chad about that...? Sometimes the titles are weird...you're not allowed to do all uppercase, for example which is irritating.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-13-2010 at 01:58 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Good Doctor. Interesting story behind the username, never actually considered it to be a sort of tribute.

We can be sort of commerce buddies!

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:47 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Thanks Entropy, I was looking for your post I always seem to post under you, or in your close vicinity, so I wanted to read your deep dark secrets.
Old 06-26-2010 at 01:48 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Thanks Entropy, I was looking for your post I always seem to post under you, or in your close vicinity, so I wanted to read your deep dark secrets.
Deep dark secrets? Sorry to let you down then. =\