MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Co-op Acceptance RankNullity Academics 14 05-18-2011 09:29 PM
Conditional Acceptance? husayn12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-14-2011 12:45 PM
Acceptance package? mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-10-2011 05:15 PM
acceptance questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-19-2011 02:51 PM
acceptance rates??? macculkin Academics 2 01-15-2010 12:27 AM

Acceptance Questions..

Old 03-27-2012 at 06:20 PM   #1
Gorn

Liked: 7 Times

Acceptance Questions..
So, I have been accepted to McMaster for both humanities and social sciences. Woo!

I am intending on getting a double major, in English and Economics.

But... I have two questions:

1) Does it matter which one I accept, the social sciences offer or the humanities offer, if I plan to get the double major?

2) How much math is there in an undergrad econ degree at McMaster? A lot? Some? A little?

Thanks

- GORN
Old 03-27-2012 at 06:57 PM   #2
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

1. I am not absoultely sure but I dont think it matters at all from what i have seen
2. First year there is some math in both micro and macro, but its all simple algebra. Econ gets very math intensive in upper years
Old 03-27-2012 at 06:58 PM   #3
Brandon.Brad

Liked: 1 Time

theres really no math in an economics degree, at least calculus, the math in economics is pretty damn basic at least from what I hear, so I'd go with a little. as for your first question I can't help ya there
Old 03-27-2012 at 07:03 PM   #4
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

It really doesn't matter which one you accept, you can easily switch and all the courses can be taken by either program.
Old 03-27-2012 at 07:47 PM   #5
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon.Brad View Post
theres really no math in an economics degree, at least calculus, the math in economics is pretty damn basic at least from what I hear, so I'd go with a little. as for your first question I can't help ya there
i'm curious what is this evaluation based on Have you taken any of the econometrics courses, or advanced macro/micro or the seminar courses? The math in upper year economics is very difficult and complex. An economics degree is worthless without these core courses. Also nowadays in order to get a job a BA is simply not enough. You will need a masters in economics which is essentially entirely math.

Last edited by Commie8507 : 03-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.

apples12, Snowman like this.
Old 03-27-2012 at 08:56 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

English is a faculty in the humanities department, but as previously mentioned, you can switch later. You need to have 6 units of English both averaging at least with a 5 (or is it 6?) to be accepted to do a major in English.

And I have no idea about economics.
Old 03-27-2012 at 09:52 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Getting a major in something means you need a shit load of units, and I think its almost impossible to get that many units and not encounter some challenging math-based courses. Take a look at this: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1680.html

I'd say you'll encounter arithmetic and geometric series, trig, a bit of geometry, derivatives, maybe some integration, sums, blah blah blah blah. Basically what commie said as well.
Old 03-30-2012 at 02:44 PM   #8
gerry_t

Liked: 0 Times

There's math in about 90% of econ courses but it is pretty easy. As long as you're okay with basic algebra, manipulating equations, and derivatives you'll be fine. You also have to take a few stats courses but they start you off from the beginning. There's no intense math in the program other than the two advanced econ theory courses offered in fourth year which aren't required (and I don't recommend taking them unless you want to do grad school in pure economics).

Not sure which offer you should accept. I would accept the offer from the program you want to be in more. I'm graduating this year with a double major in econ and political science while being admitted to mac for engineering 5 years ago so you'll have a lot of flexibility in terms of changing your courses, programs, and faculties during your entire time at mac.

The economics department offers a double major degree called "combined honours in economics and another subject". Look for it in the course calendar 2012-2013 on the mac website and you'll find the requirements etc. there.

(Btw I highly recommend doing your other major in political science. I found that those two compliment each other well, especially if you want to get into public administration, policy analysis, etc.)

Good luck!

Gorn says thanks to gerry_t for this post.
Old 04-02-2012 at 09:22 PM   #9
Gorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_t View Post
There's math in about 90% of econ courses but it is pretty easy. As long as you're okay with basic algebra, manipulating equations, and derivatives you'll be fine. You also have to take a few stats courses but they start you off from the beginning. There's no intense math in the program other than the two advanced econ theory courses offered in fourth year which aren't required (and I don't recommend taking them unless you want to do grad school in pure economics).

Not sure which offer you should accept. I would accept the offer from the program you want to be in more. I'm graduating this year with a double major in econ and political science while being admitted to mac for engineering 5 years ago so you'll have a lot of flexibility in terms of changing your courses, programs, and faculties during your entire time at mac.

The economics department offers a double major degree called "combined honours in economics and another subject". Look for it in the course calendar 2012-2013 on the mac website and you'll find the requirements etc. there.

(Btw I highly recommend doing your other major in political science. I found that those two compliment each other well, especially if you want to get into public administration, policy analysis, etc.)

Good luck!
Thanks for the answer man- not sure what I'll do yet, but I'm glad to know there's no hugely complex math involved in economics... not into that stuff at all.

And thanks to everybody else for their answers as well!
Old 04-03-2012 at 01:21 AM   #10
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Because of the experiential education that the social sciences offer, I would say take that route. I'm not entirely sure what the Humanities faculty offers in regards to out of the class experiences, but if you are interested in a business (i say business because you want to pursue economics) oriented future - EE provides you with many opportunities.
Old 04-03-2012 at 09:28 AM   #11
aznsensation

Liked: 21 Times

I can say the first year economics (ECON 1B03) does not have the hard math (calculus).....yet. Most of the questions test your grade 9 math knowledge from high school (y = mx + b, Area of a triangle and rectangle, and know how to deal with percent), BUT near the end of the course, the questions start testing your grade 11 math knowledge (interest rate). Just be sure to attend ALL of the lectures because a lot of people get burned on the final exam thinking this course was a 'bird' course.

-Albert Einstein
Old 04-03-2012 at 10:12 AM   #12
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

I personally think that you should choose social sciences offer and then do combine in Economics and English. I think you get more opportunities in social sciences in terms of internships and other things. Thats just my opinion. Its your choice at the end of the day.
Old 04-04-2012 at 03:02 PM   #13
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

This should help you: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2033.html
Combined Honours in Economics and Another Subject
  1. Subject to meeting admission requirements, students may combine two subjects and be graduated with a combined Honours B.A. degree. These combinations are available within the Faculty, with programs in the Fa- culty of Humanities and with the Arts and Science Program.
  2. One of Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management U, STATS 1L03 is a prerequisite for the research methods courses offered by the Department of Economics (ECON 2B03).
  3. Students registered in Combined Honours programs within the Faculty of Social Sciences who wish to satisfy the Inquiry and Honours Seminar requirements specified by the other department may replace ECON 3F03 and 4A03 with another six units Economics.
  4. COMMERCE 2FA3 may be substituted for ECON 2I03 and COMMERCE 2QA3 may be substituted for ECON 2B03.
  5. Alternate admission to upper level Economics programs requires an average of at least 6.0 in ECON 2G03, 2GG3, 2H03 and 2HH3 with a grade of at least C in each of ECON 2GG3 and 2HH3, in addition to the required Cumulative Average (CA) as stated in the Minimum Requirement for Entering and Continuing in a Program Beyond Level I in the Faculty of Social Sciences Academic Regulations.
  6. MATH 1M03 is required for any student planning to transfer into Commerce and strongly recommended for any student with a minor in Business or Finance. MATH 1M03 is required for ECON 3G03, 3W03, 4T03 and 4TT3 and is strongly recommended for students planning any graduate study in economics.
    **This is for the Social Sciences Honours Degree**

- The more math you take will allow you to possibly transfer into commerce or something else you like if you end up doing well
    - As far as economics goes, it equally contains some math, definitions/theoretical concepts, and lots of x and y axis diagrams

Gorn says thanks to Marooner for this post.
Old 04-04-2012 at 03:20 PM   #14
Gorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
This should help you: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2033.html
Combined Honours in Economics and Another Subject
  1. Subject to meeting admission requirements, students may combine two subjects and be graduated with a combined Honours B.A. degree. These combinations are available within the Faculty, with programs in the Fa- culty of Humanities and with the Arts and Science Program.
  2. One of Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management U, STATS 1L03 is a prerequisite for the research methods courses offered by the Department of Economics (ECON 2B03).
  3. Students registered in Combined Honours programs within the Faculty of Social Sciences who wish to satisfy the Inquiry and Honours Seminar requirements specified by the other department may replace ECON 3F03 and 4A03 with another six units Economics.
  4. COMMERCE 2FA3 may be substituted for ECON 2I03 and COMMERCE 2QA3 may be substituted for ECON 2B03.
  5. Alternate admission to upper level Economics programs requires an average of at least 6.0 in ECON 2G03, 2GG3, 2H03 and 2HH3 with a grade of at least C in each of ECON 2GG3 and 2HH3, in addition to the required Cumulative Average (CA) as stated in the Minimum Requirement for Entering and Continuing in a Program Beyond Level I in the Faculty of Social Sciences Academic Regulations.
  6. MATH 1M03 is required for any student planning to transfer into Commerce and strongly recommended for any student with a minor in Business or Finance. MATH 1M03 is required for ECON 3G03, 3W03, 4T03 and 4TT3 and is strongly recommended for students planning any graduate study in economics.
    **This is for the Social Sciences Honours Degree**

- The more math you take will allow you to possibly transfer into commerce or something else you like if you end up doing well
    - As far as economics goes, it equally contains some math, definitions/theoretical concepts, and lots of x and y axis diagrams

Cool. For some of the required courses, though, it says I need "credit or registration in one of MATH 1F03, 1M03, or equivalent." I need MATH 1K03 for another prerequisite. I took Data Management in high school this year, so I don't need to take any STATS courses.

So I guess I need two math courses, 1K03 and one of 1F03 and 1M03... Which one is easier 1F03, or 1M03?

Marooner likes this.
Old 04-16-2012 at 02:15 PM   #15
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

If I am not mistaken 1F03 is considered to be less difficult than 1M03. I believe they are university equivalent to U Calculus or U Functions, not sure which is which, but I'm pretty sure these are introductory calculus classes, however, I could definitely be mistaken haha.