MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-27-2011 at 08:44 PM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Acne
I have suffered from Acne since my teenage years and have scars around my cheek. I just came back from the consultion today and I was told that laser resurfacing treatment might be the only option. The thing is they cost $500 per treatment and I would need at least 5 treatments to see the difference. This depresses me so much. Does anyone have experience with laser treatment? I really don't want to spend this amount of money and not see any results! Any personal/non-personal feedbacks would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2011 at 08:49 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Accept your body for what it is, too many people try to be someone they're not.
Old 08-27-2011 at 09:14 PM   #3
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

See if those acne cream things actually work (Proactiv, Oxy, w/e). Definitely cheaper than $2500 smackaroons (little known currency; equivalent to Canadian dollars )

Also, how bad is it? Does it seem like something that will eventually clear up on its own?
Old 08-27-2011 at 09:18 PM   #4
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

go see a dematologist !! I think those treatments are expensive...

particle likes this.
Old 08-27-2011 at 10:05 PM   #5
science4ever

Liked: 2 Times

All those chemicals from creams, and pills (especially accutane), are going to harm you in the long-run. Go see a naturopath, and make the appropriate alteration in your diet. They'll probably put you on a strict detox diet for a while to cleanse your system of the toxins you've accumulated over the years, that is now being reflected on your skin.

Last edited by science4ever : 08-27-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2011 at 10:11 PM   #6
lux

Liked: 318 Times

1. Get your doctor to prescribe something with benzoyl peroxide
2. use it everyday, and don't stop
3. go out to exercise (intense), and keep a healthy diet
4. adopt a more positive outlook on life

Amaryll likes this.
Old 08-27-2011 at 10:24 PM   #7
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by science4ever View Post
They'll probably put you on a strict detox diet for a while to cleanse your system of the toxins you've accumulated over the years, that is now being reflected on your skin.
The chemical scientist and award winning science author Dr John Emsley said: "There is no scientific reason for people to waste time and money on so-called detox regimes, fancy diets, or expensive remedies, none of which can compare to the detox system that is already inbuilt into our natural system."

-----> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20.../detox-science

Edit: And the OP is asking about laser therapy to remove scarring. Everyone is telling him about accutane and Pro-Activ, and if he's a long-time sufferer of acne I'm sure he's heard of them before.

Last edited by Rudiger : 08-27-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old 08-27-2011 at 10:47 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

... Waste of money.

To prevent more scarring: If you're still having acne problems, go to your doctor and get an antibiotic (minocin, tetracycline) or if it's very severe accutane and a topical gel (clindoxyl gel, benzaclin). Also stop picking at your acne - it causes more scarring and makes it worst.

The scars will fade with time, but laser treatments don't really work. I worked with a dermatologist and who said there's nothing you can really do about scarring. It eventually goes away with time, the best thing you can do is go in for treatment early to prevent scars - but that's not really applicable in your case.

Quote:
All those chemicals from creams, and pills (especially accutane), are going to harm you in the long-run. Go see a naturopath, and make the appropriate alteration in your diet. They'll probably put you on a strict detox diet for a while to cleanse your system of the toxins you've accumulated over the years, that is now being reflected on your skin.

... The whole idea that chemicals = BAD!!! and natural = good is ridiculous. Snake venom is natural too.
Accutane is rigorously monitored (monthly blood and pregnancy tests if female) and the claims of association with depression have been disputed three times from the AAD. Obviously not every case needs accutane, but in severe cases dietary changes won't cut it. In moderate cases (facial acne & body acne) antibiotics are necessary.

Last edited by Lois : 08-27-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Old 08-27-2011 at 11:19 PM   #9
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by science4ever View Post
Best part about this post?
The username.
Also, you sound like my HERBAL-REMEDIES-ARE-BETTER mom.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:26 PM   #10
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

I've suffered from it for a long time, and there's really nothing that'll get rid of it for good except time.

That being said though, I've tried a lot and this is what I think works best:
- Minocycline (instead of doxycycline and tetracycline, both of which I tried and they didn't work)
- Taking flush niacin pills (read about it)
- Not washing your face with benzoyl peroxide, and not over-washing your face
- Not touching your face with your hands
- Not worrying about it -- you'll forget for a while and then suddenly notice that you've cleared up.

Honestly though, no one really cares if you have acne. It doesn't bother me when I meet people with bad acne versus people with clear skin.

Treatment aside, for getting rid of scars I find that a vitamin E cream will work really well over time.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:29 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
The whole idea that chemicals = BAD!!! and natural = good is ridiculous.
Also the fact that antibiotics are discovered in natural sources. I'm not sure exactly how they obtain mass antibiotics (I don't want to look it up, but anyone is free to do so), but I have a feeling that they just grow a bunch of bacteria, or mold, or whatever the source is and then isolate and purify from there (bacteria and mold can grow pretty fast and produce large amounts of these chemicals so it would probably be more cost effective than a series of chemical reactions which would requires tons of reactants to begin with). I'm sure that a lot or even the majority of chemicals are found naturally.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:40 PM   #12
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Isn't the OP talking about laser treatment to fix SCARING as a result of acne rather than the acne itself? If so, proactive an other acne fighting creams won't do anything for the scaring.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:51 PM   #13
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

To the OP:
your post made me curious... i haven't had any experience with this stuff... but i did just spend about an hour reading up on scarring and how to get rid of it and stuff... lol.

Im sure you have read up on everything, and know all of this already... but from what i read in this short amount of time, it doesn't seem like laser surgery is the best idea. I mean if u have an awesome doctor and you are a 100% confident in them, then go for it... if you have the money, but there are a lot of risks and people dont always get the best results (from what i read).

I think you should try one of these...
- The Vitamin E cream... (http://www.vitaminecream.org /) it will take a long time, but so would the laser treatment right? This may take longer, but a lot cheaper
- Revitol... (http://www.revitol.net/)
- Mederma (http://www.amazon.com/Mederma-Skin-C...N%3DB000052YOB)

I feel like you should give this a shot before jumping into laser surgery... i don't know how serious ur scars are or anything- but if you try this for a year, and see no results then maybe think something more dramatic. but you should def. give something like this a shot first. Just my opinion though.

... and lol at everyone who says chemicals will harm u in the long run.

good luuuck
Old 08-28-2011 at 03:24 AM   #14
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Concerning the scarring on your face, have you tried MTS skin rolling? It's cheaper and quite effective from stories and my personal experience with it. There are more than just one option. Go check it out.

http://www.dermalintegrity.c om/
Old 08-28-2011 at 04:03 AM   #15
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

Dont worry William. You are beautiful, just the way you are.