MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:32 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Ad Blocking
Any FF users here who also use Ad-Block Plus?

It's been working incredibly well ever since I started using it (years ago) but today for some reason a lot of ads are getting through (forcing me to add my own filters).

Has this been happening to anyone else, or is it just me?
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:33 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Adblock was been failing me for a VERY long time.

Or maybe I just don't understand what it's supposed to block. (I don't have the option to block half the shit I'd like to >_<)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-16-2009 at 03:35 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

Or maybe I just don't understand what it's supposed to block. (I don't have the option to block half the shit I'd like to >_<)
For banners and images, just right-click and select "adblock image" and then add a filter. The image will disappear and you shouldn't see it again.
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:38 PM   #4
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

I'm using it and it's still working very well. What version are you using? I have 1.1.1 for FF 3.5.5.

Have you updated your filter subscriptions? That might be a bit of the problem too.

Also, I'm also using Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper which might be useful to you Lawley

Taunton says thanks to Bobble for this post.
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:38 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I switched off of FF to Chrome, but when I used AB, the "easy list" set of filters was a great start, but adding your own filters was still an important part.
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:40 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Have you updated your filter subscriptions? That might be a bit of the problem too.
Updating the subscription list did it... all the ads are gone now.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009 at 05:36 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Updating the subscription list did it... all the ads are gone now.

Thanks!
Yeah, it's kind of weird how it doesn't have an automatic updater.
Old 11-16-2009 at 07:26 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

wenever u see somethin adlike.. jus add a filter and poof no more.. probably my fave addon
Old 11-16-2009 at 10:15 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

It auto updates through firefox... i've seen it ask for updates when I started FF.

Also, I've noticed a lot of popunders and popups still get through and its almost impossible to block them! The most annoying is that money tree popunder that has a Flash player which plays him talking about posting 'links on Google' and when you try to close it... a javascript alert pops up with a "WAIT DON'T GO!" type of message, you have to click OK, and then another one pops up confirming if you REALLY want to close, which you have to accept by clicking cancel. So annoying.
Old 11-16-2009 at 10:19 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

actually.. i jus started having the prob... weird... FITER TIME!!
Old 11-16-2009 at 10:19 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

can I use adblock for katia's posts ?
Old 11-16-2009 at 10:28 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
can I use adblock for katia's posts ?
LMAO.
lolol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-17-2009 at 12:41 AM   #13
tlherr

Liked: 0 Times

I have heard a few things about an add-on for firefox called "add art".
Believe its an extension of Ad-block but instead of blocking adds it simply replaces them with "art" that is gathered from a database.
Not sure how well it works, might be just as annoying as adds. Just thought I would mention it.

Link to download:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6846
Old 11-17-2009 at 07:01 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
It auto updates through firefox... i've seen it ask for updates when I started FF.

Also, I've noticed a lot of popunders and popups still get through and its almost impossible to block them! The most annoying is that money tree popunder that has a Flash player which plays him talking about posting 'links on Google' and when you try to close it... a javascript alert pops up with a "WAIT DON'T GO!" type of message, you have to click OK, and then another one pops up confirming if you REALLY want to close, which you have to accept by clicking cancel. So annoying.
The auto-updater is for the extension itself. It doesn't update the list you subscribe to, you have to do that manually. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Old 11-18-2009 at 11:01 PM   #15
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

I've moved away from Adblock and have been using a HOSTs file for years now. I find its much more effective, and there are some awesome databases to keep yours updated all the time