MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

adjusting first year

Old 09-29-2011 at 11:15 PM   #1
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

adjusting first year
september is almost done. I am behind with readings and studying. And there are papers and midterms due soon. How can I possibly catch up?? T.T

and, I am taking pol sci 1G06, I felt I couldn't handle this course, especially tutorial, I can't engage in discussion due my ignorance to the world issues. Like I don't read newspaper and don't care about politics. I do find the material interesting and the prof. Can anyone give me some tips to succeed in this course?
Old 09-29-2011 at 11:19 PM   #2
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

I guess I can say we're both kinda in the same boat here. I'm behind too. I just gotta find time to catch up and adjust to my own pace. You'd probably have to do the same. But are you sure this program is for you? Do you like it? If you do, you should be able to talk about it couldn't you?
Old 09-29-2011 at 11:19 PM   #3
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

if youre actually in commerce i literally crammed the day before every midterm first year. just ****ing read the textbook. when in doubt read the textbook and u can take on any multiple choice test and pass with a 75 at least
Old 09-30-2011 at 06:39 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymich View Post
september is almost done. I am behind with readings and studying. And there are papers and midterms due soon. How can I possibly catch up?? T.T

and, I am taking pol sci 1G06, I felt I couldn't handle this course, especially tutorial, I can't engage in discussion due my ignorance to the world issues. Like I don't read newspaper and don't care about politics. I do find the material interesting and the prof. Can anyone give me some tips to succeed in this course?
Well, you can start catching up by spending less time on MI and more time studying
No one can really tell you how to catch up, you have to figure that out for yourself, whatever works for you.

For poli sci, try google news. You can personalize the sections and stuff, and that way you stay updated on what's going on in the world. Although, not caring about politics and being interested in the material in a poli sci course seem rather contradictory But if you focus on world issues you might find it more interesting. No one can teach that stuff to you though, you have to actually go and read the news if you don't want to remain ignorant.
Old 09-30-2011 at 07:21 PM   #5
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I know you guys need tips and that's what this site is for, but the time you're spending here would be better served doing your work.

Michelle, here's a thread that should answer some of your questions: CLICK CLICK CLICK!!

Remember, first year is all about learning how you learn best so while other peoples' advice may help, it can't be the basis for your study/work methods.

Good luck and don't worry, there are tons of people in the same boat as you guys. (I certainly was last year)
Old 10-01-2011 at 07:54 AM   #6
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
if youre actually in commerce i literally crammed the day before every midterm first year. just ****ing read the textbook. when in doubt read the textbook and u can take on any multiple choice test and pass with a 75 at least
I do not suggest this at all, studies have proven time and time again that retention is something that you need to gradually attain, learning something the day of a test is a good way to find yourself in trouble.

I can't imagine trying to remember all the formulas and their applications in micro econ after only preparing for the test the night before.

If you want to catch up i'd say that you should make it a habit to set aside at least 2 hours a day for readings, work, etc. Also if you want to do well in your poli sci tutorial i would just read a daily news blog such as msnbc.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 10-01-2011 at 06:25 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Watch Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. Keeps you up to date and it's entertaining.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 10:31 AM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Watch Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. Keeps you up to date and it's entertaining.
This is true. Its pretty much how I get all my American news, lol.