MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Packing Olivia. Residence & Housing 42 08-31-2010 08:12 PM
Packing for Residence: A MacInsiders Guide PilotMal First Year Success 4 09-03-2009 01:05 PM
packing marrgarita First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-29-2008 05:02 PM

Ahhh.. Packing!!!!

Old 09-01-2009 at 09:30 AM   #1
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Ahhh.. Packing!!!!
i just had a quick question... and couldn't find the right thread to put it in... so i thought i would start a new one- for anyone with specific packing questions.

My Question:
Would upper year students recommend bringing clothes for just up until winter break... or packing clothes for the whole year... because i just packed my entire closet... and i have a feeling it may be a bit too much. How do people usually do it?

Thanks for any help
Old 09-01-2009 at 09:32 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Just enough up to winter. You might want to bring a jacket in case it gets cold and you don't have time to go home.
Old 09-01-2009 at 09:33 AM   #3
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Depends.
Will you be going home for Thanksgiving to get different clothes.
Also, its good to have some warm clothing, just in case.
Old 09-01-2009 at 09:39 AM   #4
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

i'll probably be going home once in a while... so i should leave stuff behind and swap clothes everytime i come back.

thanks a lot guys
Old 09-01-2009 at 09:41 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Eventually my parents will be coming to visit in late September/early October, and I usually get them to bring some of my warmer clothes then.

Again, it's up to you...it depends on how much space you have in your vehicle when it comes to packing.

However, it does seem that nights are getting cooler, and earlier than previous years. Although I live about an hour and a half north of Hamilton (and thus it's usually at least a few degrees cooler), it went down to 6C last night...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-01-2009 at 09:47 AM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Depends on your room I'd say. If you're sharing a double or triple, I'd say to bring only a fraction of your clothes.
Old 09-01-2009 at 10:24 AM   #7
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Don't bring everything unless you don't plan on going back anytime soon. Usually, you'll find yourself going home every three weeks or so. It really depends on how close you live to Hamilton though.
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:26 AM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Pack enough for 3 weeks and then in preparation for laundry.
When I pack the focus of all my packing is to figure out what clothes I change two or three times a day and pack for that.
For example if a guy changes his boxers thrice a day (we're going to assume they're all clean but if you use a communal washroom and you don't like your personals touching the floor etc), then perhaps 25 pairs of underwear would be good.

That way you have enough for a week and you can wash 20 and still have 4 or 5 left over.
Never ignore underwear. (And always factor in that they will get lost)

In terms of socks, at least 10 pairs would be good.
I know what this might seem like: "Who needs SO MUCH?" but let's face it. Underwear and socks are relatively small articles of clothing and may not take up a lot of space if you fold them right. Chances are you may lose some, or misplace the socks or mix some up with your roomates.

And the simplest way of justifying this amount is to ask yourself: "How much do I change my clothes?" 2 pairs of socks each day? You're looking at 14 for a week easily and probably 3 to 4 extra pairs.

It's been very cold around Mississauga this summer and Hamilton is only an hour away so it may be cold all around the GTA.
I'd pack layers because that way if one layer gets dirty or has something spill on it, you don't lose one day's worth of clothing.
If you have about 2 nice warm sweaters, a few long sleeved t-shirts and several T-shirts etc to wear inside and a nice warm blanket and 3 sets of PJ's, you should be set.
I would recommend taking a jacket. When I went to Mac in June I still took mine. I ended up taking it off every 20 minutes and then putting it back on.
It may sound like I'm providing proof against my reasoning but here's why:
Every 5 to 10 minutes we'd get nice breaks of sun and we'd warm up considerably.
Then the wind would start, we'd get a bit of rain and the cloud cover would return.
And so on.
But if you can go home it wouldn't be too big a deal if you needed something

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009 at 11:28 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I packed for 10 days last year and it was good enough.