Old 10-26-2007 at 03:30 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

that is all.
that is all.
Written by Danielle Lorenz

Okay, so funny story. Okay, so I’m lying. But read everything I write, and hopefully you’ll see and feel what I did.

Anyways, I was sitting in my room procrastinating from the three essays I had due, and thinking about what I could get people for Christmas (yes, I think about it THIS early. I’m weird and random, but I like to do things WAY in advance), and I happen to know quite a few fans of the show House M.D. See him in that photo? He's wearing a cool t-shirt!

So I looked around on the FOX website, and I found the OmniPeace (http://www.omni-peace.com/) shirt that he wore last season, and where to buy it. I manage to find a hoody that costs $1295 (and oh yes you read that correctly) from Kitson, the store that sells the OmniPeace stuff (which I want, by the way *hint hint*). I go back to the OmniPeace website, and scroll down through the pictures of the celebrities hawking the product, until I see a section titled “Conclusion”.

And there I saw what is quite possibly one of the most haunting images I have ever seen in my life. What made it worse was the text that accompanied it. The following is an excerpt taken from a page in the diary of the photographer, Kevin Carter who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994 for his photo:

“Dear God,
I promise I will never waste my food no matter how bad it can taste and how full I may be. I pray that He will protect this little boy, guide and deliver him away from his misery. I pray that we will be more sensitive towards the world around us and not be blinded by our own selfish nature and interests.
I hope this picture will always serve as a reminder to us how fortunate we are and that we must never, ever take things for granted.
On this good day, let's make a prayer for the suffering in anywhere, any place around the globe. Think & look at this when you complain about your food and the food we waste daily.”
I am not the crying type, but the combination of this image and words literally moved me to tears. Since then, that image still upsets me greatly.
I didn’t show this to you to be depressing. I wanted to let you know how good you have it, and that you should appreciate what you are given and what you have; as some people obviously do not have it as good as you do.
That is all.

The photo can be seen here. WARNING It is quite graphic.

Last edited by lorend : 05-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.