MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
macinsiders ftw! lawleypop General Discussion 48 04-23-2010 08:32 PM
Macinsiders down mike_302 Computers & Tech 2 02-18-2010 02:22 PM
Have you met anyone who you've first met on macinsiders irl? sinthusized General Discussion 22 09-19-2008 11:38 AM
Welcome To MacInsiders! Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 02-25-2008 06:31 PM
All About MacInsiders Chad MacInsiders 2 08-01-2007 08:31 AM

All About MacInsiders

Old 07-27-2007 at 10:12 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

All About MacInsiders
All About MacInsiders
Letting you know who we are!

By Chad Fullerton

In the past two weeks MacInsiders has seen massive growth as over 400 first-year students joined our community to gather information and meet new friends. We are proud to announce that our community has just hit 1000 members (update: As of April 19th we're at over 2,600 members!) and we are really excited to see so many people participating and helping others.

As our community grows, we need to remind ourselves about what our club's roots are and how MacInsiders has evolved since our official launch back in January 2007. For those who have joined in the past few weeks we would like to welcome you and also let you in on our history as a student-run club.

MacInsiders is the largest student-run online community for campus life at McMaster and our site is entirely run by students. Being a site run by students, we would like to remind everyone that MacInsiders is an unofficial source for news and help. While we do our best to gather the answers to the many questions members have as well as write articles on our own personal experiences and knowledge, none of the material posted is reviewed by McMaster University or the MSU, and thus we always encourage members to check out the official McMaster.ca websites (we usually provide the links for you to discover the information on your own). That said, I believe that students helping other students is very important and a great way to meet others.

During my first year at McMaster there was a lot of information to take in, and I found myself in a faculty with only a few friends that I personally knew. This made that first week hard and required me to meet new people. Before arriving at Mac I was a delegate in Horizons, the student leadership conference that I have covered on the site a few times. Horizons taught me to step out of my shell and get involved with the many opportunities open to me as a first year student. It was an icebreaker to university life and opened my eyes to clubs and services at Mac. Eventually this lead to the creation of the website which you now know as MacInsiders. The site began as a small personal project during my first year with a different name and more simplistic website that was filled with links to resources and services at McMaster that I found useful in my first year. As I shared the website with friends the number of visits increased much higher than expected and people wanted to help out. After learning more about student clubs and the procedures with setting one up, it seemed the right thing to do as club status gave plenty of benefits including a small amount of funding, the ability to run events on campus, having a bank account to begin saving funds, the ability to setup an executive of people to manage and maintain the site as well as the support of the MSU and a Clubs Administrator who is always there to guide you in the right direction.

After gathering some close friends to form an exec and putting together our vision statement and event schedule, in December of 2006 the application for club recognition went in, passed through the SRA, and we were ratified in January. Participating in Clubfest II (2007), we were able to gain traction and expanded the tools and features of the website. We began partnering with other MSU clubs, most of which didn't have their own websites, and provided them a forum and space on MacInsiders to promote their purposes and get some spotlight on the great things that they achieved throughout the year. We began a video series to interview important people and services
such as the MSU, SRA, Quarters, CFMU, SOCS, and others, in order to let students see the faces behind these great groups. It was a huge success. This summer the site was redesigned with the help of feedback from the members and a new design was released which gives more focus on useful articles, news, and events.

As we continue to expand the website to include more of what you, our members, want... be sure to provide your feedback and suggestions at any time because it is you who helps shape what you see on MacInsiders. We hope you will take advantage of all the sections of the site that have been created to encourage you to meet other students, build new networks of friends, and get involved with the many opportunities during your student life at Mac. Use the Classmate Connector to find others in your faculty and classes or with similar interests as you, use private messaging to contact them and introduce yourself, watch the videos to learn more about the people who are here to help you (new videos will be made in September), check out the other clubs that will be ratified in September and join some that interest you, visit the calendar to see events other clubs are running, and most importantly ask questions in the forum and take advantage of the community available to you.

Taking things a step further, check all the official websites that are out there that we have been posting dozens of articles about including the MSU, FYEO, Residence Life, CSD, MSU Campus Events, Horizons, MSU Clubs, McMaster Libraries, Housing, The Sil, CFMU, SOCS, COMPASS, Athletics, and more.

With your help we can make our community here grow and expand. If you would like to help make our vision a reality, feel free to contact us and learn about the many ways you can become involved with MacInsiders and join our team. Click here to view more about our staff, and we hope to see you at Clubsfest 2007!

Sincerely,

Chad Fullerton
MacInsiders Prez 07-08

Last edited by Chad : 04-19-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated statistics
Old 07-27-2007 at 10:44 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

looks good to me! you cover a LOT of ground, have more or less a disclaimer, and addressed the issues i thought were important for people to know.

however i have to grammatical qualms:

During my first year at McMaster there was a lot of information to take in and I found myself in a faculty with only a few friends that I personally knew which made the first week hard since I felt alone. ---> During my first year at McMaster there was a lot of information to take in, and I found myself in a faculty with only a few friends that I personally knew. This made that first week hard since I felt alone.

Eventually this lead to the creation of what you are on now known at MacInsiders. --> Eventually this lead to the creation of the website which you now know as MacInsiders (which co-incidentally you are currently viewing).

Obviously you don't need to change them to what I put, but your wording for both seemed akward to me.
Old 07-27-2007 at 11:00 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

alright, I've changed those two parts up
Old 07-27-2007 at 12:00 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

aaaand we're good.
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:55 PM   #5
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Very good article... I shoulda had this to read before accepting your offer to be a contributor... glad I did though =)