MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-28-2008 at 10:24 AM   #1
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Allergies in Res
I've been in residence for 7 weeks now, and of those 7 weeks, I've been sick 5 of them. I've been to the doctor a couple times, and have been diagnosed with asthma and indoor allergies of some sort. I'm now on a puffer and nasonex and STILL not getting any better...I feel like I keep getting colds every 5 days or so (just after the first one "goes away"). Anyway, the doctor thinks it could be something in the building (as I have NEVER had allergies before). My question is, what would happen if I have to leave res? I know that the school probably won't be able to accommodate me on campus now due to the Brandon Fire, but would I get most of my money back due to the fact it's a health concern? Just wondering if anyone knows about this or if anyone is experiencing the same thing? I'm in Moulton so the building isn't THAT old, but the doc thinks it could be a mould allergy or somthing...
Old 10-28-2008 at 12:35 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Kayla,
You can talk to Housing about being moved from the residence that you are in to another one, perhaps a newer one? With the Brandon fire there may not be any room on campus but given that you have a medical reason you should be able to get some of your money back. You may have to provide more supporting documentation from your doctor though. A girl in my first year got moved from Edwards to Keyes because of a medical condition. Call Residence Admissions and see what they say

KaylaMarie says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 10-28-2008 at 02:53 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Hey, I live in Moulton too and I've been sick 2 times in the past month. Which is kinda unusual for me....I suspect it has something to do with all the flies living in the ducts and drains.

Anyways, my advice is to take some Cold-FX. It helps boost your immune system, even when your not sick...i'm sure it helps with allergies too.
Old 10-28-2008 at 05:11 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Almost everyone I knew was sick in res a lot of the time.

Most of it has to do with being around a large amount of people all the time -- you're constantly swapping cold bugs and whatnot with each other.

And...I highly doubt they do anything more than vacuum the carpets once the academic year is over. It's possible there are some things still trapped in the carpets. Maybe you can see if you can rent a small steam-cleaner (or get your parents to rent one and do a room clean if they come to visit and/or drop you off/pick you up one weekend)? It sounds kind of silly, it's a good idea if you can't switch residences.

I cleaned the carpet I'm living in now...and I noticed my socks were a lot cleaner in this house than the previous house I moved into!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-03-2008 at 07:25 PM   #5
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hey, I live in Moulton too and I've been sick 2 times in the past month. Which is kinda unusual for me....I suspect it has something to do with all the flies living in the ducts and drains.
Ew I've totally noticed that there are an abnormal amount of flies on our window..like....20 or more at a time. And we're on the 4th floor! It's disgusting, I hate seeing their reflection through the closed curtain too!

I know for sure it has to be my room/the building now...I just went away for the weekend and within hours of being back, my nose was running again and I feel pretty crappy again. I'm never going to get better as long as I'm living there, I'm at my wits end!
Old 11-03-2008 at 08:09 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
Ew I've totally noticed that there are an abnormal amount of flies on our window..like....20 or more at a time. And we're on the 4th floor! It's disgusting, I hate seeing their reflection through the closed curtain too!

I know for sure it has to be my room/the building now...I just went away for the weekend and within hours of being back, my nose was running again and I feel pretty crappy again. I'm never going to get better as long as I'm living there, I'm at my wits end!
Seriously, get a note from your doctor and take it to Housing otherwise you're going to be miserable all year. If you can't get another room on campus the least that can be done is refund some of your money!

Old 11-04-2008 at 11:18 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
And...I highly doubt they do anything more than vacuum the carpets once the academic year is over.
My friend worked for housing during the summer and her job was to clean all of the residences. She said that they actually did like heavy duty cleaning of everything. She assured me that my building would be as clean as possible. So they do a bit more than just vaccum the carpets.
Old 11-06-2008 at 10:31 PM   #8
Barbra

Liked: 0 Times

I agree with lorend. I think it has to do with being in close quarters with alot of people who are stressed out, not always (never) getting 8 hours of sleep, not eatting the best food at times... rez is paradise for cold and flu bugs.

I lived in rez two years (2 different ones) and half the building was sick at any given time.

You could try washing your hands obssively. That really helped me not be sick in second year.