MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG -timetable MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-12-2010 10:33 AM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
What Is wrong With British Society? huzaifa47 Politics 13 02-17-2009 05:21 PM
What is wrong with the timetable link Rob Mac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-10-2008 09:58 PM

Am I doing something wrong here?

Old 09-29-2007 at 10:15 AM   #1
kacey24

Liked: 0 Times

Am I doing something wrong here?
Hi everyone,
I don't know if anyone is having the same problem as me but I think Im doing something wrong when it comes to trying to read the textbook and actually absorb something. Usually what I do is after classes, I'd go home, read the chapters the prof went over in class, then type out my own version of the lecture notes and textbook info for every chapter. The problem with that is not only does this take forever to do, but I don't really end up getting much out of it. Am I doing something wrong?
Also I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to study well since midterms are on their way already? Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2007 at 10:24 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hi Kacey,

I know that you're probably feeling overwhelmed with reading so many textbook chapters, and it isn't easy for anyone to take all this information and absorb it in a short period of time. So you're not alone. I felt the same way in my first year. As you continue to study the textbook work and lecture notes, you're going to begin learning what works and what doesn't and adapt that to make your own style of learning/studying. Everyone doesn't study the same, we all have our own way of doing things... it just sounds like you haven't found your unique way that works best.

Here's something that may help. If you haven't heard already, there is a service at McMaster called the CSD (Centre for Student Development). They are very useful and open to anyone. If you're needing help academically with learning strategies to studying, etc. they are the people to go to.

But if you don't have time to book an appointment right now and want some help right away, check out their online resources to help you. They've put together a whole bunch of tips and tricks depending on the course you're studying for... even have some videos! So check it out.

Go here:
http://maclife.mcmaster.ca/academics..._resources.cfm

If you do want to book an appt. here's the info:
Quote:
Our specially trained peer helpers are available to assist you in getting the academic success you want. Book an appointment through our central office: call ext. 24711 or drop by MUSC B107.
You can also signup for an academic skills workshop.

I hope this helps!
Old 09-29-2007 at 11:33 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Indeed, what Chad said holds true, Kacey.

In my opinion it seems that you're putting too much into studying -- but that's just me. If I were you I'd focus on what you're doing closer to test time rather than during the term. And generally you're best to focus on the lecture material moreso than the textbook -- although this may vary from class to class. For some profs the text is supplementary, for others it is equivalent.

But please do check out the resources at CSD!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-29-2007 at 07:18 PM   #4
kacey24

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks so much! That really helped and Im feeling a bit more relieved already that Im not the only who's going through this. Im going to check out the site right now. Thanks again
Old 09-29-2007 at 10:09 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

No problem Kacey. Glad to help!