MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:23 AM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Am I doomed?
I had a very rough first semester due to few personal issues and simply not working hard. But I'm doing better now, my grades are much higher than first semester. My average was a 6 after 1st sem but I think if I work really hard, I can get a 8-9 this sem so I can pull it up to a 7. I'm in Life Science by the way. Is it too late to stage a comeback guys? I talked to my peers and most of them have a 8...I'm not sure if I will be able to move on to level 2. I want to try biochem but I'm not sure if that is going to work out. Any advice would be great.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:24 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I had a very rough first semester due to few personal issues and simply not working hard. But I'm doing better now, my grades are much higher than first semester. My average was a 6 after 1st sem but I think if I work really hard, I can get a 8-9 this sem so I can pull it up to a 7. I'm in Life Science by the way. Is it too late to stage a comeback guys? I talked to my peers and most of them have a 8...I'm not sure if I will be able to move on to level 2. I want to try biochem but I'm not sure if that is going to work out. Any advice would be great.
You can still advance to level 2, you just won't be able to get into those very competitive streams. However if you work hard in second year, you may be able to transfer if the limited programs have open seats.

jeboi7 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:28 AM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can still advance to level 2, you just won't be able to get into those very competitive streams. However if you work hard in second year, you may be able to transfer if the limited programs have open seats.
What is the non competitive stream that I could consider? I really want to do Biochem since I love biology and chemistry. I guess that is improbable at this moment. Am I the only first year life sci that feels this way? It feels like everyone around me is doing well considering it is their "first year" too. :(
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:44 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
What is the non competitive stream that I could consider? I really want to do Biochem since I love biology and chemistry. I guess that is improbable at this moment. Am I the only first year life sci that feels this way? It feels like everyone around me is doing well considering it is their "first year" too. :(
Non-competitive streams are usually the ones that aren't limited. So Life Science, maybe Biology.

You're doing pretty well for first year. It's probably just your group of friends. You should be able to see how you are doing compared to the class on assignments and tests by going on avenue. When you see your grades, there's probably a small bar graph beside the title, click on that to see the class grades.

jeboi7, justinsftw all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:49 PM   #5
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Thanks man, that made me feel better!
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:49 PM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Don't set yourself the goal of 8-9, because you'll probably fall short and end up with a 6-7.

Aim for all 12's, that way at the very least you'll end up with a 10 avg this semester.

Best of luck

jeboi7 likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:58 PM   #7
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Don't set yourself the goal of 8-9, because you'll probably fall short and end up with a 6-7.

Aim for all 12's, that way at the very least you'll end up with a 10 avg this semester.

Best of luck
That is exactly what my friend told me, it seems to be working for most people. I will keep that in mind.
Old 02-25-2011 at 05:33 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I feel the same way. first semester practically killed me. x| right now I'm doing well, but all the hype around the limited programs and their small acceptance numbers are totally getting to me. I say just try the hardest you can and whatever happens, happens!
Old 02-25-2011 at 06:09 PM   #9
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

take econ 2j03,2D03,2H03 or 2HH3 with Dr Khan during the summer, easy 11's
Old 02-25-2011 at 06:31 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

No you're not doomed, there are always options