MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM

Anecdotal Evidence

Old 05-19-2011 at 10:55 PM   #1
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Anecdotal Evidence
Can people stop using it to generalize about programs at McMaster. Get some statistics or legitimate sources if you are trying to make a point.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:00 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Can people stop using it to generalize about programs at McMaster. Get some statistics or legitimate sources if you are trying to make a point.
I'm sorry you're so frustrated about this. I've noticed in your posts that the whole "Health Science is _______" thing is getting to you.

People generalize about every faculty, and the people who do so are almost always completely unaware of said faculty - very few people who criticize Health Science have been in the program, so no one actually knows what it entails. It takes a lot to get into it, and personally, I think it seems like a great program. Isn't it what McMaster is known for?

Also, the only person I talk to often who criticizes Health Science was kicked out of it - so when he goes on his "it's so easy" tangent, his word means nothing. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to Health Science, it's really a "if you couldn't get into it, don't call it easy" thing. And how many people who actually got into it rejected it? Some, but again, very few. Bitter people say bitter things.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-19-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Chandlerowns says thanks to alh24 for this post.

Eternal Fire, J. Dorey like this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:05 PM   #3
Chandlerowns

Thanks for the reply, yeah it does kind of bother me sometimes. I'm OOP and I had no idea the program stirred up so much controversy, I didn't even know about it until my last year of high school. I guess I'm just tired of constantly hiding what program I am in and listening to people rant about how stuck up and horrible the students are in it.

andrew22 likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:07 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, yeah it does kind of bother me sometimes. I'm OOP and I had no idea the program stirred up so much controversy, I didn't even know about it until my last year of high school. I guess I'm just tired of constantly hiding what program I am in and listening to people rant about how stuck up and horrible the students are in it.
It's so funny that people always say that because (and I've said this is another thread) other faculties have their share of arrogant people too. I'm not saying all Engineering are arrogant, obviously, but I live with several who are so cocky about their program, and they rag on Health Science students for that all the time.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:07 PM   #5
Chandlerowns

And I'm sorry that guys being an ass to you in that other thread.

alh24 says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:11 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
And I'm sorry that guys being an ass to you in that other thread.
Thanks! No worries - we both got a little out of hand, but it's become pretty inflammatory and there comes a time when you just have to let it go. I'm at another university next year, so there'll be a whole new online community to get into debates with.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-19-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:17 PM   #7
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Being in Humanities, I think I can sympathize with you on this one. So often I get looked down upon because people are still stuck in the Welcome Week mindset that other faculties besides their own are so inferior. Obviously if you got to university in the first place and have been able to succeed in it, you've done something right. Also, it's university - no faculty is going to be "easy", because easy is a very subjective term. I completely agree with you though, I'm sick of hearing how Health Sci and any program that teaches the arts are inferior to everyone else.

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:17 PM   #8
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I wasn't aware there was a stigma against health sci until I was in third year. Who are these supposed people that have a hardon for bashing it? Anything that has the word "science" in it is all the same to me.

Then again I didn't know that Art Sci existed until fourth year so I guess my ear isn't really on the ground.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:21 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Being in Humanities, I think I can sympathize with you on this one. So often I get looked down upon because people are still stuck in the Welcome Week mindset that other faculties besides their own are so inferior. Obviously if you got to university in the first place and have been able to succeed in it, you've done something right. Also, it's university - no faculty is going to be "easy", because easy is a very subjective term. I completely agree with you though, I'm sick of hearing how Health Sci and any program that teaches the arts are inferior to everyone else.
Completely agree. Social Science and Humanities definitely get ragged on a lot, and I really do blame Welcome Week in part. It's supposed to be all in good fun, and for that week, it is. But some people don't really know where to draw the line.

I did my first year of Life Science and didn't find it bad - a little harder than Social Science has been, but not by much. I had one Humanities course and did unbelievably poorly in it. Definitely my worst mark thus far.

Actually, come to think of it, that wasn't the only time. I dropped Linguistics in first year because I couldn't grasp it. It was a mixture between disinterest and actually not really understanding the material. People say it's an easy course, but it kicked my ass from the start, haha.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-19-2011 at 11:23 PM.

J. Dorey says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:24 PM   #10
Chandlerowns

Quote:
Yeah I've never understood why people say Humanities is easy, I'm pretty sure English is one of the hardest first year courses to be successful in, and I personally stayed away from it because of that.

J. Dorey says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:24 PM   #11
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Completely agree. Social Science and Humanities definitely get ragged on a lot, and I really do blame Welcome Week in part. It's supposed to be all in good fun, and for that week, it is. But some people don't really know where to draw the line.

I did my first year of Life Science and didn't find it bad - a little harder than Social Science has been, but not by much. I had one Humanities course and did unbelievably poorly in it. Definitely my worst mark thus far.

Actually, come to think of it, that wasn't the only time. I dropped Linguistics in first year because I couldn't get into it. It was a mixture between disinterest and actually not really understanding the material.
See, I'm not blaming Welcome Week completely, it's all in good fun and what not (that may be biased since I'm a rep), but even before that week my one friend (in commerce) kept ripping on me because I had a really high average in high school and went into a program where "all you need to know is the alphabet", even though he wasn't very good at writing himself. So to put one program or faculty down without experience in said faculty is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Like, I don't go around saying math and engineering and what not is easy even though I have absolutely no experience in them, so I expect the students in those faculties to treat me with the same respect, which I don't think is asking very much.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:29 PM   #12
Chandlerowns

Quote:
See, I'm not blaming Welcome Week completely, it's all in good fun and what not (that may be biased since I'm a rep), but even before that week my one friend (in commerce) kept ripping on me because I had a really high average in high school and went into a program where "all you need to know is the alphabet", even though he wasn't very good at writing himself. So to put one program or faculty down without experience in said faculty is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Like, I don't go around saying math and engineering and what not is easy even though I have absolutely no experience in them, so I expect the students in those faculties to treat me with the same respect, which I don't think is asking very much.
Dealing with respect, I would honestly be okay if this stigma was confined to websites like this, but it really hurts the fabric of our university, and people are being classified by their faculty in everyday life. This sometimes gives McMaster a high school clique feel, which is something I was trying to get away from.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:32 PM   #13
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Nothing worse than feeling like just saying what faculty I'm in means I'm instantly a douche.

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:32 PM   #14
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Dealing with respect, I would honestly be okay if this stigma was confined to websites like this, but it really hurts the fabric of our university, and people are being classified by their faculty in everyday life. This sometimes gives McMaster a high school clique feel, which is something I was trying to get away from.
I could not agree with you more. I can see some joking around and stuff on forums like this, but to go the extra mile and create cliques about it is just ridiculous.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:38 PM   #15
Chandlerowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Nothing worse than feeling like just saying what faculty I'm in means I'm instantly a douche.
I know, I love going home to Nova Scotia because when people ask what program I'm in, I can actually talk about the courses and what I've learned instead of trying to avoid the awkward conversation I would have if someone asked at McMaster