MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM

Anecdotal Evidence

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:40 PM   #16
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Agree with this thread. Kin is not gym class!

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:43 PM   #17
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I also don't like the "Social Science and Humanities are the same program" thing. They're both in Arts, but they're so different. Additionally, the "Humanities students do nothing" thing is ridiculous to me. When I had History, it was probably the most work I've put into a course to this day, including every course taken in both Economics and Life Science.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:45 PM   #18
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I also don't like the "Social Science and Humanities are the same program" thing. They're both in Arts, but they're so different. Additionally, the "Humanities students do nothing" thing is ridiculous to me. When I had History, it was probably the most work I've put into a course to this day.
Ignorance is easy

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:47 PM   #19
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Ignorance is easy
Apparently both faculties are under the umbrella of "spatula" and that's good enough for some people.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:48 PM   #20
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Personally I try and judge everyone based on their own personal qualities even if I can see why certain programs (not just Health Sci) have gotten certain reputations (based on often a minority of students).

It's hard to categorize people based just on what program they're in. I've been told I don't give off the typical "Kin Vibe". For some reason that hasn't stopped me from being the first choice for Kin representation on the SRA or getting a spot as a Blue Boner.

Welcome week is fun and I think developing a sense of pride, community and identity in your program (including rivalries) is important. In the end though people are people, whatever university or program they attend.

J. Dorey, RememberTwce like this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:51 PM   #21
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
I also don't like the "Social Science and Humanities are the same program" thing. They're both in Arts, but they're so different. Additionally, the "Humanities students do nothing" thing is ridiculous to me. When I had History, it was probably the most work I've put into a course to this day, including every course taken in both Economics and Life Science.
It's really sad that this is based off of the fact that lectures/tutorials are typically only one hour each (at least for first year that's the case), even though the amounts of reading and work outside of the lectures go well beyond that. For example, I took History 1AA3 this term with Dr Horn, where he would frequently make us read two chapters of the textbook per week. This wouldn't be bad had he not assigned 4 essays over the term, essentially making them due every three weeks. This too, wouldn't be completely awful, but on top of the textbook reading and plotting out our essay points, we had to read 3 novels and the Communist Manifesto just as a precursor to the actual writing of the essay. I mean, I'm not here to bash other faculties or say that Humanities is the hardest thing ever, I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm trying to say that Humanities, Social Sciences, and any other faculty seen as "inferior" is hard in it's own way, just like engineering, math, and science are hard in their own ways, and people need to start realizing that.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:52 PM   #22
Chandlerowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Personally I try and judge everyone based on their own personal qualities even if I can see why certain programs (not just Health Sci) have gotten certain reputations (based on often a minority of students).

It's hard to categorize people based just on what program they're in. I've been told I don't give off the typical "Kin Vibe". For some reason that hasn't stopped me from being the first choice for Kin representation on the SRA or getting a spot as a Blue Boner.

Welcome week is fun and I think developing a sense of pride, community and identity in your program (including rivalries) is important. In the end though people are people, whatever university or program they attend.
I agree with the developing pride and an identity, but why do you think program rivalries are important? I think they are harmful personally.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:52 PM   #23
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
I know, I love going home to Nova Scotia because when people ask what program I'm in, I can actually talk about the courses and what I've learned instead of trying to avoid the awkward conversation I would have if someone asked at McMaster
Yeah, I totally get that.
Just last weekend I was at a party in Guelph and met a few people from Mac there. The program question comes up and my first thought is "Ah ****."

Quote:
I was intending to take a history course last semester, looked at the crazy intense amount of work, and jumped ship. I have no idea how someone can manage a full load of history courses.

Old 05-19-2011 at 11:53 PM   #24
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
I agree with the developing pride and an identity, but why do you think program rivalries are important? I think they are harmful personally.
Why are sports rivalry's fun and why do they seem to build solidarity among fans?
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:53 PM   #25
Chandlerowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
It's really sad that this is based off of the fact that lectures/tutorials are typically only one hour each (at least for first year that's the case), even though the amounts of reading and work outside of the lectures go well beyond that. For example, I took History 1AA3 this term with Dr Horn, where he would frequently make us read two chapters of the textbook per week. This wouldn't be bad had he not assigned 4 essays over the term, essentially making them due every three weeks. This too, wouldn't be completely awful, but on top of the textbook reading and plotting out our essay points, we had to read 3 novels and the Communist Manifesto just as a precursor to the actual writing of the essay. I mean, I'm not here to bash other faculties or say that Humanities is the hardest thing ever, I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm trying to say that Humanities, Social Sciences, and any other faculty seen as "inferior" is hard in it's own way, just like engineering, math, and science are hard in their own ways, and people need to start realizing that.
I think the award for least logical conclusion would go too people who think number of hours in class= how much work a program has. For example in health science we may only have around 20 hours of class a week, but I also had 10-15 hours a week in group meetings for classes among other things.

alh24, J. Dorey, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:55 PM   #26
Chandlerowns

Quote:
Why are sports rivalry's fun and why do they seem to build solidarity among fans?
Except we are all part of the same community, where as cities are separated. Imagine if Boston and Los Angeles were right next to each other during last year's NBA finals..
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:56 PM   #27
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
That's so funny you said that, 1AA3 is the course I took too. Are there still 3 or 4 textbooks for it that you have to read every week? That killed me.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:57 PM   #28
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
I understand the fun behind faculty rivalries during Welcome Week and what not, but when they're used to publicly ridicule people, that's a bit extreme. In sports terms, I'm a Yankees fan, so it's my natural inclination to hate everything involving Boston baseball, which I do. However, I'm not going to go out and completely humiliate a Red Sox fan for being less than me. This exact thing however happens to programs (like Humanities, Social Sciences, and Life Sci to name a few) that are seen as easy, or lesser, or having jerks in them, which really doesn't make it all the fun for people on the receiving end of this humiliation. In the end, a degree is a degree. Be proud that you were able to survive the years of schooling and work that you had to go through to get there.
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:58 PM   #29
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

well if it makes you feel better, I love posting statistics from CUDO
Old 05-19-2011 at 11:59 PM   #30
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
That's so funny you said that, 1AA3 is the course I took too. Are there still 3 or 4 textbooks for it that you have to read every week? That killed me.
We had to read chapters from the one main textbook every week, but we had 3 novels and one political ideology (even though it was small, it was difficult to grasp certain concepts at certain points) on top of that, so we basically had two readings every week. It was pretty intense.